“nice small hotel, in good location”
Review of Hotel Deauville

Hotel Deauville
Ranked #335 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Italy
“nice small hotel, in good location”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed here during a business tryp to the US. It is a very old and small hotel. Despite of that it is clean, quite and well located. Rooms are quite small, and the interior room where I stayed has almost no natural light coming in. I stayed in the room just to sleep so I did not care, but if you do not like dark rooms do not go there. Room on the street might have better natural light but i am sure they will be quite noisy.
The price is very good for NY standards and personnel is extremely kind and usefull.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
West Virginia
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I've stayed in a number of hotels in Manhattan over the years, as I travel there two or three times a year to visit the city I once lived in and still love. This was the first time that I stayed at the Hotel Deauville, and I found the previous reviews that I had read to be pleasantly true--the hotel really is clean and charming, and the staff is adorable, and very helpful. The room was basic, but who goes to NY to sit in a hotel room? The room had two double beds, of perfectly adequate comfort, a sparklingly clean bath with lots of hot water, and a flat-screen TV. It was quiet, and the location is excellent! I highly recommend the Hotel Deauville for people who would like to visit the city more often, if only they could find reasonable accommodations. The Hotel Deauville fits the bill. I will be going back in a few months, and I'll bring my friends with me. It's almost like having a little pied-a-terre without the maintenance. Many thanks to the hotel staff for their kindness, and to the elevator operators who cheerfully hoisted our weary feet and shopping bags upstairs.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank WhatExitWasThat
Alabama
Reviewed January 5, 2010

After check in, my party and I were on our way back out for dinner and were loaded on the elevator by an attendant. There was an attendant, one 6 yr old child and six adults total on the elevator. The maximum weight load stated on the wall was 1800 lbs. We did not reach the maximum nor did we come close. To make a long story short. Our elevator got stuck, then crashed two floors and wedged between the bottom two floors trapping us inside. The air was getting thick before we managed to wedge something into a hole in the top and were dragged out by our arms. We were hot, filthy, scared hurt and exposed. In the drop my foot turned and was stepped on giving me a sprain. For 7 days I hobbled around NYC in pain. Not only did Hotel Deauville not comp or refund our rooms they treated us badly. I was told their insurance company does not compensate for pain. All they did was cover my out of pocket expense after my own insurance company forked out the money. ( actually this happened in July 2008 and I have yet to receive that check, still waiting) I was told that in no way was Hotel Deauville responsible for what happened! In addition we were told by that elevator attendant, that this is not the first time an accident has happened in that elevator. So please take the stairs!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank corygirly
snowmansam
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We stayed here for four nights in a double room with a shared bathroom. The bathroom was on another floor and was a little worried about traffic, however there was never a queue and it was always clean. Hotel is in an excellent location and the manual operated lift was great fun. The double room was big with a large bed and cable tv.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed October 30, 2009

The front-desk crew at the Deauville featured some of the most pleasant folks I’ve dealt with. They made these two bewildered Virginians feel at home in no time. We got a great AARP rate. The subway is right around the corner, but if you’re a walker, you can easily stroll down Park Avenue toward 42nd Street. Coffee pot available upon request, numerous restaurants and great bakery nearby, Starbucks on the corner and Duane Reade drugstore one block over. Room small, but efficiently arranged and bathroom ran the length of the room. I would return in a New York Minute!!

• Stayed October 2009
yvonne.brouwer@12move.nl
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Nice smaller hotel, not too high!! Very nice service, frontdesk and doorman specially nice and very helpfull. Good location! Our 2 bed-room very small, window overlooking wall next door building, but fresh air from outside! (Who needs a view?) Beds very good, not too soft. Clean! We had an older bathroom, but was ok. Big closet to put all our shoppings in.... Nice restaurants in neighbourhood, and breakfastshop also. Near hop-on-hop-off busstop and empire state building. Quiet nights too!
We can recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Kansas
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed at the Hotel Deauville in September. This is not a luxury hotel by any means, but it is well worth the money spent. It's conveniently located 1 block from the Subway and walking distance to many attractions. Room is small, but clean. Staff was very friendly. Especially enjoyed Eddie our fun and friendly doorman. Will stay again, as rooms were $159 per night when other rates were running over $300. For the time spent in our room, this was just what we needed. Left us more money for shopping! :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends