“A European style hotel reminiscent of the small inexpensive hotels in London or Paris.”
Review of Hotel Deauville

Hotel Deauville
Ranked #332 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2009

For the price of the 'Y' at Central Park where I used to stay with my teenage son you can get a European style hotel reminiscent of the small inexpensive hotels in London or Paris.

What a joy, the staff have a great sense of humour and they are helpful. We left our passports and they made a great effort to return them in spite of a screw up by our Canadian postal system.

Small details: Clean, great firm beds, big purple bath/shower, fast Internet.

The hotel is very central and the tube stations are nearby.

Great value.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DB1988

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 22, 2009

When I began my search for a reasonably priced hotel (reasonable for New York, that is), I had several specifications...
1. Private Bath - I'm at the point in my life where I don't share well with others, especially bathrooms.
2. Decent location - walking distance to at least one subway line.
3. Free WiFi - I never leave home without the laptop.

What I found with the Hotel Deauville...
Clean, basic room with my private bath
The hotel is within walking distance of the 4-5-6 lines & the N-Q-R-W lines; which, with connections, will take you anywhere you want to go in the city.
Free & fast WiFi to help me make last-minute plans.
I also got air conditioning, which was welcome on two muggy nights.
I need to reiterate that this is a basic, budget hotel - it's definitly not the Ritz or even the Holiday Inn, but it's a clean, quiet place to put your head down after spending the day in this fabulous city.

• Liked — Free WiFi
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Bette P
Lisbon. Portugal
Reviewed June 21, 2009

For reasons related with my job - university professor - I make several trips to NYC in each year. And everytime I travel to NYC I stay in Hotel Deauville.

Across time, the staff made me feel as I was in my "home away from home".

People are extremely friendly and I never had one single motive to complain.

And the hotel has an unique location at the heart on NYC.

Rooms are comfortable and recently refurbished.

If NYC is my "second city" Hotel Deauville is my "second home"

Jose Lucio

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank José_M
bristol
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We stayed here for three nights at the end of May. The location is very good - it's about a 15 minute walk to Central Station. The hotel is quite clean and downstairs is very nice. The staff were very helpful. Unfortunately our room was very dark as it faced a brick wall and you needed the light on during the day. It also smelled very badly of damp.
If we went to New York again we would look for a better hotel - as you can get deals if you look for them. However this is adequate and if you happen to get a room facing the street you may feel very differently to us.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank britinnewyork
Toronto
Reviewed May 19, 2009

The Hotel is perfectly located. Walking distance from Empire State Building.
The Hotel is CLEAN and the Staff is friendly
For the price I can't think of anything better than this deal in the city.
Has free wi-fi !!

• Stayed May 2009
New England
Reviewed May 16, 2009

The prices offered in May, 2009, by this hotel represent one of the great lodging bargains in the world. Even the increases for this summer are a tremendous value. The hotel is 13 blocks due south of Grand Central Station. The staff was very friendly and courteous. My room was very small, but clean. It would be nice if they offered a fridge and a microwave, but my room did not have them. Being on the side, my room was also very quiet. The hotel offered me a very early check in and a very late check out, which I have never found to that extent elsewhere. I cannot give them five stars because they downgraded my room at check in without saying anything. All rooms were the same price; they had few guests; and I had reserved a queen-sized room. I didn’t say anything, but if the room size is important to you, I recommend reserving by phone, not the Internet. If you want luxury and amenities, go somewhere else and pay three times the price; if you want to enjoy NYC, stay at the Deauville.

Scooper47’s top tip: In my room, the bottom of the bath tub was lower than the bathroom floor. Stepping in without realizing this could cause you to pitch forward and suffer injuries.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank scooper47
Midwest
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I have been coming to the Deauville for over a year and find the staff consistently friendly and helpful. Most often I arrive late night, and the front desk person, Jerry always has a good recommendation for a place to eat. I always stay at the Deauville if they have space.

Rooms at the front of the hotel are best - large and eclectic. Purple bathrooms - ya gotta love it. Place has the "Old World" feel with none of the frippery of a monster chain like Marriot or Hilton. The beds are comfortable with good, big comforters and pillows. The bathroom fixtures resemble what my grandmother had in the old farm house - big basins and twirly knobs. Always clean, though, and there are no insectiod life forms anywhere. It can get a littel noisy with the windows up, but hey - it's New york - whaddaya want?

There are a couple of very small rooms that have a wonderful view of the brick wall next door, but again, if you're gig is to enjoy New York, I don't expect you to be staring out of the window at a brick building.

Locale:
One block north from the number 6 line and 2 stops south of Grand Central - makes it easy to get just about anywhere. Go 2 blocks east to Third and there are a bazillion restaurants of all varieties. Lexington isn't too shabby, either.

All in all, for the price, the place is great. Once again, if you like the panache of a Marriot or Hilton, this place may not be for you. If you like to experience a time warp, then the Hotel deauville fits the bill.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business