“Helpful Staff”
Review of Hotel Deauville

Hotel Deauville
Ranked #340 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Deauville for one weeknight the last week of July when we were touring colleges. The staff was more than helpful with directions and best modes of travel to the colleges and restaurants. The hotel is old but it served our purpose to sleep in comfort and run around the city all day. We felt safe and central to our destinations. you can't beat the price in NYC. For private bath in our room we paid $180 including tax.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Caroral
There are newer reviews for Hotel Deauville

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I really liked this hotel it was super clean. The man down stairs at the desk was great he always smiled. They were very polite and the kids really liked it to. Bathroom was clean room was a nice size for NY and all. the best coffee place down the street called FIKA it is the best coffee. The shop accross the street is open 24 hours and the food is good and not to expensive.

Room Tip: Tips are above.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cessy31
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed in the Hotel Deauville for five nights with my boyfriend. We searched a hotel with a good location and chose Deauville. It was a perfect match for us while we only wanted a pillow to lay down our heads on at night and have a place to keep our stuff safe. I mean, you don't go to Big Apple to stay in the hotel, do you?
Subway is right next to the hotel and you can walk to Grand Central Terminal, Fifth Avenue, Empire State Building, Chrysler Building etc. There are nice places for breakfast nearby, like Bread&Butter and one cossy cafe around the corner on Lexington ave.
Hotel itself was a bit worn out. There was room enough for two people to open up the suitcases. The view was the wall of the next building. We had our own bathroom, which was big and clean, although hotel's warm water tank broke and we only got lukewarm water for a couple of days.
There was no bedbugs, which is a huge problem in NY.
Hotel had a funny old elevator, which was operated by hand by hotel stuff. Elevator and the elevator boy with the same words and accent made my heart melt.
I would defenately recommend Deauville, if you want to save your money to do something fun in the city where the dreams are made of, let's say a cruise to remember around the city when sun sets.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EveTheTraveller
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I really have mixed feelings about this hotel so I will give a very full review of what happened.

The only great thing, the location, honestly, is perfect. Right in midtown, about 1min from the subway line 6, 10min from the ESB, 25min from times square (walking)... really perfect.

Other really nice things:
They let you store your luggage the day of your departure, so if you have a late evening plane, you can still enjoy a day in NYC, luggage free!
The staff was nice, and helpful.

Now the rest: the rooms... well... argh. So, to be fair, I was there with my husband and we paid 700$ (taxes inc) for 4 nights, which is about the cheapest I could find for NYC and a private bathroom (which is necessary for me). We had taken the one double bed "cozy" room. ok... I would have more called it a glorified closet, i mean barely enough room for the both of us to stand up with our luggage, but ok, whatever. There was one small window which was blocked off by a piece of plastic and so there was no sunlight at all... We entered the room at 3pm and had to turn on the lights because it was pitch black. The bathroom had a tiny tiny sink and didnt even have a spot where to put down anything (like not even a toothbrush!)... 2 towels, big enough to dry my arm and that's about it. The bed quality was, well, let's just say it, horrible... probably a 10yrs old mattress... sagging in the middle... but again, we could make do. What was absolutly awful was the noise. Couldn't close our eyes. When it was time to go to bed I told my husband to stop the AC, thinking it was the cause of it. He did and the noise didn't drop. Turns out there is a huge generator of some sort on that corner making a hell of an awful noise. Adding to this the fact that what was separating us from the outside was a panel of plastic!! Yes you read correctly, instead of attaching the AC to a concrete wall it was set in a hole in the wall and around it was simply a panel of plastic!! So of course we couldn't sleep at all and got up with an awful awful headache.
I immediately went downstairs and told the reception desk that they had to change us room because that was a nightmare and I was honestly ready to go and tell our friends that we were gonna crash on their couch. Thankfully (the hotel was empty... no wonder there) and so they gave us another room (took them a bit of time to do so but they did). This one was much bigger (had 2 double beds), and alot quieter! The bathroom had at least a bigger sink and a little bit more space to put down stuff. Bed quality was still rather low but better. And we got towels a little bit bigger (big enough to dry 2 arms this time). They didn't charge us extra for the bigger room (which I think was quite a bit more expensive) but honestly I wouldn't have paid a dime more than 150$ a night for that!

Cleanliness wise, it was ok. We got there and the room were clean. The beds were made fresh everyday, and the towels replaced. Although when we moved in the bigger room there were 3 towels but then after we were given only 2 :/ However, I can tell you that in 4 days, neither the toilet nor the sink/bathtub were cleaned... and then they ask for a tip for housekeeping, kinda ironic...

The other killer... the light... NO LIGHT WHATSOEVER, in the rooms... and the second room was better, at least the window was not covered by plastic and we could see the wall of the building next door (believe it, a huge improvement on the first room).

Last annoying thing, the elevator, old style... need someone to run it for you... kinda ridiculous if you ask me... and very unpractical, but it works...

So all in all, would I recommend this hotel? No... spend another 20$-50$ a night and you'll be much happier... but if you really can't afford anything else then sure, I guess it is tolerable, well the 2 double beds room is, not the single double bed.

Oh and I didn't even mention breakfast, which obviously was not even available, but considering you're in NYC, there is a starbucks every foot or so, so that didn't bother us at all.

Room Tip: Do NOT book the single double-bed room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PlickAndPlock
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. We had booked a room with a shared bathroom but when we got there we asked if we could stay in a room with a private bathroom and they were able to accommodate us which was great. It was good value for NYC too. The room wasn't massive but for the price and location is was good. The hotel had an old-fashioned lift and there was always someone available to take you up or down.

The location is great. There is a Bread and Butter across the street which had fantastic, cheap meals, there was also a nice French restaurant around the corner, there is a laundromat at the end of the street (where we dropped our washing and came back for it all packed up and clean :) ) and it was close to a number of subway stations which made it easy to get around.

Overall this is a great place and great value for NYC and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fendaz
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Blooming perfect location, near the Empire State Building. Bedding a bit grim, especially the bedspread.

Unfortunately, "bathroom down the hall" meant shower room, down the hall, down the stairs, and down the hall. We were at the front which was too noisy to sleep.

Handy Bread and Butter over the road.

I would stay again, if I could be clear about a room actually near the toilet/shower, and at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kanelbullar
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Just came back from a nice holiday weekend.
The Hotel Deauville is a nice place to stay, and pretty close to everything. Whether you want to jump on the subway to go to Central Park, or a short walk to Times Square. The price us right to. Just don't expect any real luxuries for that. If that is what you are looking for, then this ain't the place.

• Stayed: May 2013