“Great value!”

Ranked #226 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Columbus, Ohio
“Great value!”
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I certainly recommend it. Rooms are small, sure, but they make up for that in a number of ways - there are drawers under the bed, for example. Everything was perfectly clean and spotless. Staff was helpful. The area is pleasantly quiet. Location is great: within walking distance to the Fifth Avenue and other attractions. Perhaps what I liked the most was being in a budget hotel that didn't look cheap - decoration is charming and tasteful, far superior to the decoration we see in some expensive hotels.

Be advised, however, that the private bathrooms are not really that private, in case you're traveling with someone else. Also, they could replace the soap dish: the soap keeps falling through the grids while you're showering and that's very irritating. Finally, the internet connection is very slow and should not be advertised as "high speed".

2 Thank thiagomarzagao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monson, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just spent two nights at The Pod and loved it. We chose the bunk bed option for price and were able to get the rooms for $149/night; absolutely incredible for mid-town Manhatten. We were less than 10 blocks from Times Square/Rockefeller Center/ Central Park. Yes, the bath rooms are not in some rooms AND they are single bathrooms with a great showers and I always found them open when I needed one. Each bunk bed had their own little TV and there was an iPod player/charger in the room. I found the room Very quiet; I always bring ear plugs to the city and I didn't have to wear them. (do leave the fan on in the unit for white noise.) For those who complain of the smallness of rooms; you mustn't have stayed in a large city before. I would say it might be confining if you are staying for a week or so but then how much time are you really in the room when visiting the city? As for the "rude" front desk...we found them to just be direct and efficient. Again, have you not ever visited NYC? There was a parking garage 2 blocks over and there was a discount if you had The Pod stamp your ticket. This is a no-frills inexpensive choice. We absolutely will return to The Pod.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KristiSierra
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed at The Pod for 10 nights in December 2010 and it was fine for what I needed - it was clean, well-thought-out, functional. If you're looking for luxury this isn't the place for you though. I stayed in a single pod with a shared bath, which wasn't as bad as I had expected because of the bathroom indicator lights in every room telling you when they're free. Bathrooms were cleaned on a regular basis and I never had to wait very long for one. In room sinks were very useful, as were the under-bed storage. If you go in winter make sure you take warm clothes - the in-room heating is not great, but I was never uncomfortably cold. Free WI-Fi was very useful, although in New York free Wi-Fi is everywhere - take your own laptop though as they don't have a business centre. The concierges are helpful, but not the friendliest. Reception staff, as per previous reviews, were not the most welcoming, but were helpful enough. Once you book the Pod they send you a link to an on-line forum where you can meet others who will be staying there at the same time, which is really good if you're travelling by yourself. Great location - easy to get everywhere - walking distance to 2 subways stations (6, E, M lines served) and cabs were always readily available. Breakfast was easy to source: Ess-a-Bagel round the corner on 3rd Avenue was good, Pain a Quotidien was not far, next to Starbucks and a number of delis, supermarkets, bakeries and restaurants were nearby. Overall a good stay - the hotel had everything I needed and if it didn't (e.g. food) then I didn't have to go far to find it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank AllyMcHeels
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 16, 2010

On a recent long weekend in New York City, we stayed at the Pod because it was the best price for the location. Just 5 blocks from Radio City Music Hall, this hotel was so convenient and in a really nice area. I have stayed in many hotels in NYC on a budget and the POD by far exceeded them all. We had a "bunk bed pod" and it was so much fun. The room was small, but our beds were comfy and we each had our own little flat screen tv's in our bunks. It was "shared bath" and I thought that might be weird but it wasn't at all. The bathrooms are kept impeccably clean and on our floor (8) there were four bathrooms so there was never a wait. The front desk staff was extremely accommodating. I arrived hours before the 2 pm check-in time and they had a room ready for me in no time. And both the bell and housekeeping staff were so nice. I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a great location at a great price. Thanks Pod, be back soon!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank babykitty_00
Gahanna,OH
Reviewed December 15, 2010

My Husband and I were meeting some friends in NYC for the weekend. We didn't want to spend too much $ and were looking for a little Big city Adventure.
We booked the Bunk Bed Room at The Pod Hotel. It was affordable and it had something we have never experienced..Shared Bathrooms. I know what your thinking. Shared bathrooms? why? its an Adventure that's why!
We arrived WAY too early to check into the hotel. We found the staff was very friendly and well versed in what is around the general area of the hotel. Which is United Nations. there are plenty of yummy bistros and bars for any price range and appetite. They held our bags and we went off exploring. When we were finally allowed to check into our room it was a teeny tiny room with cool bunk beds, a desk, and sink area. There are little lights above the door that showed us there were 4 bathrooms on our floor and when lighted so you knew which ones were occupied. What the little lights did not tell you was that 1 size did not fit all. Bathroom 2 on the 4th floor is SUPER TINY. While bathrooms 3&4 are spacious. (Bathroom 3 has body jets in the shower and a bench) All I am saying is as a shared bathroom experience goes this was pretty good! Very clean. My only complaint about the shared bathroom is that there were no stock hand towels kept in there. Even a roll of paper towels would be great. For those of us who make those late night trips to the bathroom, a towel is not usually on your list of what you need to remember at 4am! Room key yes, towel..not so much.
Otherwise this was a good experience. Being our first time staying any length of time in the big apple that wasn't work related, we weren't in the room long enough for the size of it to bother us. It was actually perfect. enough room to store your stuff, change and get ready for the rest of your adventure. We would definitely return here.

10 Thank ladell8
wales
Reviewed December 9, 2010

A great hotel in a great location. The rooms were cosy and clean and the staff were very helpful. One day I left the room with the safe open, a combination of carelessness, jet lag and excitement I guess (I had money and passports in there) and it wasn't touched. I was a little dubious about having a shared bathroom, but in actuality it was fine. There are a lot of deli restaurants, pubs and restaurants in the area. When I started looking for a hotel to stay in for our trip, I was overwhelmed by the choice, the prices, even the reviews, but I'm glad this where we stayed. When you visit New York, in all honesty, your hotel room is really just a place where you sleep, so for value for money, the Pod is probably the best place to stay. Spend the money you save on a show, on a great pair of shoes or a horse carriage ride through Central Park..

1 Thank zee1capt
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Clean, conveniently located, efficient staff, all you need. The only drawback was the heating - when it works it is noisy which is rather irritating at night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends