“Don't Stay Here if You Value A Good Night's Sleep!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #228 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Philadelphia
“Don't Stay Here if You Value A Good Night's Sleep!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

The Pod is a cute-looking hotel and popular with budget-minded travelers since its rates are below $199 a night. Since I was just using the hotel as a place to sleep, I didn't mind it's small rooms.

My problems began when I went back to the hotel to sleep so I had the energy for another long day of sightseeing. It was around midnight and the room was freezing. The heating unit seemed to be controllable, so I turned it on and it didn't work. I had to call down to the front desk twice to get an answer. They told me it would come on because it was centrally controlled. The noisy unit finally came on around 1 am. It would turn off every so often, so I got the pleasure of hearing through the hotel's thin walls. A couple in a nearby room decided to have very loud sex several times, and another person blowed dried their hair at 3 am. So, needless to say, I had difficulty sleeping.

I guess you get what you pay for. I won't be staying at this hotel again, because this type of hip budget hotel attracts younger people who obviously do not know or care about how to behave in a public lodging space. You can see all of them coming into the hotel with their backpacks.

I would not recommend this hotel to business travelers, or families.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — Thin walls, heating unit didn't work
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank skat8r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

We stayed in the Pod for 6 nights from 15th-21st Dec 2008 and it was perfect. Room was excellent and cleaned daily by the maid. Great location and local area was fine for eating out. There were a few good pubs around especially the Pig & Whistle on 2nd Avenue where you must try the mussels! Unfortunately, the roof terrace was closed as it was winter but we'd definitely go back in spring/summer to check it out.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We couldnt have chosen a better hotel on our first trip to New York!
Centrally located, nice deco, friendly staff and the rooms were clean and nicely decorated! Perfect!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

By arriving i ve got a tiny queenbed room instead of twin, which was confirmed by email! After a long discussion with very unfriendly frontdesk manager we have got another room, wich was really dirty (toothpicks on the beds, paper and hairs on the floor).

I had to call three time the reception in oder to meet the houskeeping manager. She was the only one nice person in this hotel and odered to change the beds and clean the room again.

The location ist very good. But the hotel ist not worth for the money you pay.

• Stayed December 2008
3 Thank nettbln
Rocklin, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

I loved this place! I was very happy with my room; the hotel itself is a bright, fun, clean, and newly-remodelled facility with a courteous and service-oriented staff, and it's in a great location. I'll be back in the future.

I had one of the small Pod Single rooms. It was clean and modern. At 6'1", I fit into the bed with a couple inches to spare. The toilets and showers are in WCs down the hall (shared), which was no problem at all. My room had a sink area which allowed all my other personal hygene needs to be easily taken care of, and it had signal lights which told when each WC was available, Other reviewers had said "No Worries," and they were right!

The hotel location is excellent: Mid-Manhattan East on 51st St. between 2nd and 3rd Avenues. Subway access is close and easy (6, E, and V lines), and the hotel has many near-by restaurants, museums, night clubs, and general points-of-interest.

• Liked — Overalll Value: A great room in a great location at a great price in NYC
  • Disliked — My iPhone did not work with their clock radio iPod cradles.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank LSJUMBOF
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

The Pod Hotel is great value in a brilliant location, and the website is pretty clear on what you get for your money. It's difficult to understand why there are a couple of reviewers on here complaining about the size of the accommodation. The rooms are indeed pretty miniscule, but really well designed with flat screen TVs and iPod docks. I stayed in a double room, which meant that I had my own tiny bathroom. It was fine for one person but I'm not sure I would want to share a room that small.

My only real complaint is that the hotel is pretty noisy. My room was right next to the communal toilets and fairly close to the lift, which meant that there were people coming and going at all hours, slamming doors. However, I'd read on here that this might be a problem, so came prepared with ear plugs and managed to sleep regardless.

All in all, it's not luxury, but given that I was visiting New York two weeks before Christmas, I saved myself hundreds of dollars. I'd definitely visit the Pod Hotel again.

• Liked — Value, design touches in the rooms
  • Disliked — Noise levels in the rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank ally6863
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

The location is okay, the rooms are quite small but efficient, the service was good. I stayed in the Bunk Pod with a friend for a few days. I also stayed in a Single Pod a one night. We each had our own small TV next to our beds, although mine didn't work at all. There was an iPod dock in the room which was very useful. There was a small open closet space and sink inside the room. There were 4 toilets/showers on our floor and an indicator in our room to show us which ones were in use/vacant. The rooms were clean but needed to be aired out badly. The lifts were slow/always in use so we took the stairs. Recommended for people on a budget.

• Liked — It's cute and clean
  • Disliked — Rooms needed to be aired out
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo