“53rd & Lexington”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #236 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've been to New York many times & i was fortunate enough to have my bf come with me. He really enjoyed this vacation. The staff was wonderful & the bed was one of the best ever! We had such a good nights rest. We were in the queen size bed room with our own private bathroom. My boyfriend loved the idea of a restaurant/bar downstairs(Pop @ Pod). & when we checked-in we also received complimentary drinks of wine or beer. This experience i will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,071)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you're after a hotel that is clean, close to attractions and safe, Pod51 is perfect. I'm a solo female traveller and was very happy with this hotel. I had a single room (but got a free upgrade to a double - yay) and a shared bathroom. I've read reviews where people have complained about the rooms being small - it's true that the rooms are small, but if you're going to complain about that then you either need to up your budget or you're in NYC for the wrong reasons. I don't travel to sit in my hotel room so it was no problem for me, I guess if you're a couple it could be a bit cozy but again, you're there to see NY not sit in your hotel. The shared bathrooms were very clean, and there is a panel in your room that lights up to tell you which ones are vacant so you don't get caught short in your towel or whatever. The staff were all very helpful, and I had a bit of an issue with my payments (as I had two separate bookings) and while I felt like I was being a pain, the staff never made me feel like one! The little cafe on site is also nice and the roof deck is such a cool place to sit, I only discovered it on my last night, wish I'd found it sooner! If you stay here please take advantage of the free walking tours that run every Tues, Thurs and Fri. They are amazing! Another great thing about Pod51 is the location, it's super close to subways, and all the busiest aves (Lexington, 5th, Madison), not far from Central Park and also one block up is a police station so you always feel pretty safe when heading back to the hotel at night. One very minor criticism is that the street below can be a bit noisy at night, nothing a pair of earplugs can't fix. Though the only time I thought it was noisy was on Friday night but that's understandable. Didn't stop me sleeping though! I would most definitely stay here again when in NY.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper maybe request a room that doesn't face the street (though not sure if...
1  Thank Meg R
Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is a cheap friendly place but there is better to be found for the price. It's basically a hostel but with some individual rooms. The room wasn't clean and we ended being bitten throughout the night. Small but that's to be expected and walls are paper thin so expect to hear everyone else.
The plus side is its location.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon A
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I was staying in Manhattan on my own on a budget and wanted the comfort and security of my own hotel room (rather than a hostel) but could not afford the big city hotel prices. I found the Pod 51 hotel through Trip Advisor and was not at all disappointed with my experience! I stayed in a single pod room with shared bathroom. The room was much bigger than I expected and had lots of storage. There was even a little sink in the corner and air con which you could control (though it was a bit noisy). The bed was comfortable, though a little short. I'm 5'6" and if I'd been much taller it would have been a bit of a struggle. Good TV and Wifi service throughout the hotel. The shared bathroom was very luxurious and like an individual little ensuite off the hallway (so no scary shower curtain experiences!) I was a little worried that there only seemed to be two bathrooms for the whole floor but I never had to wait or queue so not a problem! There is a nice seating area in the lobby and a great bar downstairs with happy hour drinks ($5 for a glass of wine!) I would highly recommend this to solo travellers wanting more comfort and privacy than a hostel, and to couples and families that are looking for a great value hotel right in the middle of Mid-town Manhattan.

5  Thank andstuff89
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I stayed in a bunk bed room with a best friend, plenty of room for both of us. The room was very clean along with the hotel and facilities. Perfect location for most attractions, walking distance from Central Park, Times Square, Empire State building.

Highly recommend having a relaxing night on the rooftop balcony. We grabbed a crate of beer and relaxed whilst looking at the amazing view all night, great place to meet other travellers too.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I was very skeptical about staying in this hotel for two reasons: the negative reviews and the shared bathroom. I will do my best to describe my full experience. First of all the location was great , subway stop nearby (although I didn't use the subway at all), restaurants and bars as well. Many people had an issue with the employees at the front desk, but I found them to be very friendly and helpful when I asked for directions. Second, I was assuming I was going to walk in to a dorm room. It was not at all like that. I was traveling solo and the single room/ w shared bathroom was amazing. I read reviews that stated when the luggage was out there was no space to walk in the room, and that was definitely not the case with me. I had enough space to lay out 8 days worth of clothing and my work materials. Now last but not least, the shared bathroom, this is the first time I share a bathroom with just about anyone, I was more than extremely skeptical to share a bathroom with a stranger, and it was not at all a problem. There was always one available, there were 2 on my floor, the bathroom were always cleaned, and space wise they were perfect enough to lay out all my bathing creams. Over all the hotel was great ! I would definitely stay here again, the price was the best I could get in this area, and everyone was extremely helpful !

4  Thank Marielaw21
Reviewed June 26, 2014

As with any hotel, there were good things and bad. It would have been terrible, but I used the room only to sleep and shower. The rest of the time I was out exploring the city. I stayed in a bunkbed room with my 21 year old daughter.

Good-
Deli downstairs was awesome.
Room was clean.
Great pillows.
Loved the individual TV's for each bunk that you can plug your headphones into.
Bellhop guys were so accomodating and courteous.

Bad-
Towels smelled like- well just bad.
Air conditioner did not work well- and made terrible noises (enough to wake you up at night).
Window did not open- and with such a small room it really needed some air.
Front desk people were not nice, AT ALL.

Room Tip: I would try and avoid the rooms near the shared bathrooms. Even down the hall, I could hear the door...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family