“Great hotel ! Don't let the reviews scare you.”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #231 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Miami Springs, Florida
“Great hotel ! Don't let the reviews scare you.”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I was very skeptical about staying in this hotel for two reasons: the negative reviews and the shared bathroom. I will do my best to describe my full experience. First of all the location was great , subway stop nearby (although I didn't use the subway at all), restaurants and bars as well. Many people had an issue with the employees at the front desk, but I found them to be very friendly and helpful when I asked for directions. Second, I was assuming I was going to walk in to a dorm room. It was not at all like that. I was traveling solo and the single room/ w shared bathroom was amazing. I read reviews that stated when the luggage was out there was no space to walk in the room, and that was definitely not the case with me. I had enough space to lay out 8 days worth of clothing and my work materials. Now last but not least, the shared bathroom, this is the first time I share a bathroom with just about anyone, I was more than extremely skeptical to share a bathroom with a stranger, and it was not at all a problem. There was always one available, there were 2 on my floor, the bathroom were always cleaned, and space wise they were perfect enough to lay out all my bathing creams. Over all the hotel was great ! I would definitely stay here again, the price was the best I could get in this area, and everyone was extremely helpful !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Marielaw21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 26, 2014

As with any hotel, there were good things and bad. It would have been terrible, but I used the room only to sleep and shower. The rest of the time I was out exploring the city. I stayed in a bunkbed room with my 21 year old daughter.

Good-
Deli downstairs was awesome.
Room was clean.
Great pillows.
Loved the individual TV's for each bunk that you can plug your headphones into.
Bellhop guys were so accomodating and courteous.

Bad-
Towels smelled like- well just bad.
Air conditioner did not work well- and made terrible noises (enough to wake you up at night).
Window did not open- and with such a small room it really needed some air.
Front desk people were not nice, AT ALL.

Room Tip: I would try and avoid the rooms near the shared bathrooms. Even down the hall, I could hear the door...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Jojara
Sintra, Portugal
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Pod 51 was the best place I could have stayed on my solo trip to NYC!
The free walking tours, the bar and the reception hall are all friendly and easy to meet and get along with other people.
The tiny room is perfect and has all we need! There are several bathrooms to use in the corridor and the convenient presence lights in our rooms let us know which ones are free and when. The shower was amazing!!
Unfortunately due to severe snow the rooftop was closed when I was there.
Location is PERFECT. I walked everywhere from the hotel.

Room Tip: As a solo traveller I had a single room with shared bathroom, and I totally recommend it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 401t_nian
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was a great hotel, conveniently located, extremely clean, and user-friendly. We had a queen pod with a bathroom in the room. The good thing about the small rooms at the hotel is that even though there can be kind of a young crowd, the rooms don't lend themselves to partying or hanging out, so this type of noise is minimized.

The negatives are that - as other reviewers have noted - the rooms with bathrooms included are grouped together with the rooms that share bathrooms. So no matter where you are, you hear doors slamming at all hours of the day and night. Even our white noise machine cranked up at full volume could not drown it out. All that would need to be done to fix this would be to install the anti-slamming devices in the doors. It's enough to make me not want to stay there again.

Also, just as a side note - we tipped housekeeping $3 each day, but weirdly never got a new bar of soap in three days. One day, the housekeeper opened the window a couple of inches, then closed the shutters. Because we returned from sightseeing after dark, we had no way of knowing that the window had been opened until the next morning when the dishes and silverware clanking and crashing from the cafe outside woke us up at 6am. A minor aggravation, but still.

I would recommend this hotel with the warning of the door slamming noise. Also if you need something specific, I guess leave a note with your tip for housekeeping - in retrospect, that's what I should have done.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hallandale Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This very clean and unique hotel is nice option if you are on a budget. Staff helpful and well informed. We took the (free) walking tour on Friday with Dan Shaki, totally enjoyed it. Everyday they do a different part of the city.

Only stayed one night, but would totally go back. Enough clean towels, soap and shampoo in the showers. Nice pillows and blankets. This hotel lacked nothing. You even get two complementary drinks at the bar next door.

Room Tip: We had a small room with a bunk bed. Nice option to save space. Each bed has its own TV. Ni signific...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Santa Branca, SP
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This place is perfect to just leave ur goods and enjoy the NYC scene it's not like ur in ur room 24/7 on vacation go out and enjoy the hotel is super chic and clean amazing staff and reliable service middle of it all

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

My first hostel like hotel in over 30 years. Had all the amenities, like wifi, cable, etc. Yes the rooms are small but very functional. The staff is very helpful. The location is great and the cost is significantly less expensive than even the lower end hotels. Not saying I could last a week, but for a couple of nights it worked out great

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family