5,347 results
All reviews shared bathroom bunk bed room pickwick arms private bath rooms are small new york ess a bagel roof terrace budget hotel around the corner place to sleep small desk times square subway station central park flat screen tv location is great
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 days on the 6th floor and found it to be nice, we stayed in the bunk bed room and it was average. The bathroom (about 4 on each floor) is better it's larger than in a hostel and the shower head is nice! The worst part is probably the wifi it was so bad it just kept disconnecting!! A real hassle!! It's a nice area and there is a great restaurant one block away which serves vegetables pay by weight! I didn't have a bad stay here but it's just a glorified hostel.

Date of stay: May 2014
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Ah, The Pod.

I spent a week in this hotel in January and stayed in one of their bunk pod rooms. It was small, yes, but not as small as I had anticipated judging by other reviews. We opted for the shared bathroom facility which was no problem at all as there were 4 bathrooms to our floor, and there was always an unoccupied one. Something that I love is how they play music in the bathrooms during sociable hours, and throughout the rest of the hotel!

The rooms are clean and offer daily housekeeping, it's in an excellent and safe location and is only a block or two away from two subway stations and the residents were lovely!

Will definitely be returning.

Room tip: Ask for a room with a view
Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at Pod 39 a few times but this has been my first time at this pod. Like the 39 location, this is a no frills NYC spot that's clean, hip, and simple. If you want to control the water temperature in the shower, don't stay here. If you want an in-room ironing board, don't stay here. If you want an incredibly comfortable bed, don't stay here. BUT if you'd like a simple and sweet NY spot, stay here. It's cute, with character and spunk. I like it. Just not for when you're feeling fancy.

Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank LouiseG227
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We stayed in a queen pod as I couldn't stand the idea of sharing a bathroom. The room was so tiny, the bathroom was like the ones you find in an aeroplane! That said, who spends time in their hotel room in NEW YORK!! The location was ideal, staff super friendly and the roof top area was nice, take a bottle of wine up there and soak in the view of this amazing city. The only thing that was disappointing was there wasn't a coffee machine (or kettle) in our rooms.

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is not a 5-star hotel by most people's hotel standards. But for New York City, I believed it deserved that for price, location and amenities.

Bottom line: I was happy with the experience, especially given that I booked only two weeks ahead. I was happy with the price ($169 a night plus taxes) and the Midtown location. And I liked it well enough that I would stay there again.

Yet I would hesitate to recommend it to others given its tiny space. It wasn’t a room to which you would want to go back, put up your feet, and comfortably read a good book or watch television (there is a 13-inch television on the wall, however).

I had a single, twin-bed room. I looked in one double room, where the double bed (note: not a queen) was against the wall, creating some inconvenience for an “inside” guest wanting to get up in the night. An online review mentioned this, said the hotel moved them to a different room where this wasn’t an issue.

The place has a European feel, and in fact many guests are Europeans and Asians. Here are principal things I liked about the hotel.
• Block and a half from the subway station for the north-south 6 train, and a short underground walk to an east-west train.
• Safe neighborhood, with the NYPD 17th Precinct station in the next block and a seemingly unnecessary 24/7 NYPD presence on the Pod 51 block. Among neighbors on the block: several restaurants, a synagogue with outdoor seating area, two foreign-government offices, a small school.
• In all respects the hotel seems modern and well-maintained.
• Good twin-size bed, good shower, thirsty towels (I chose the bathroom-down-the-hall option), free WiFi, in-room sink, daily housekeeping, good bedside reading light, standard heat/AC with a window that opens, complementary USA Today, concierge in lobby.
• Although I had the obligatory loud neighbors and slamming doors, I was never bothered by noise when I was in the room.
• Three humongous drawers under the bed, plus a small table, a desk and chair, and a folding luggage rack; clothes bar with six hangers.
• Building has 14 floors (no 13th), and a rooftop with Adirondack chairs.
• Half-block away Treehaus restaurant (buffet lines and order-at-counter options) and a block over on Lexington a bakery and grocery/deli.

Room tip: Some reviews refer to noise from the street-level bar; I had an interior room and heard no bar noise. You might ask for a room away from bar and street noise -- good luck with that!
  • Trip type: Traveled solo