“Perfect Pod”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #235 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the start of a 5 month travelling trip. First visit to New York and was very impressed. Found Pod 51 no problem from the Subway. And was in a great location in proximity to Times Square, Empire State etc... Room was small but very clean and modern. Even though we visited in April, was great to relax on the roof top terrace with a beer! Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uptheblades13

Reviewed April 7, 2014

My friend and I booked the Bunk Pod with a shared bathroom. The bathrooms (seems brand new) were always super clean and available. I think the maids cleaned the bathroom many times a day. The room is of course really small but everything works perfectly. There is a sink, mirror and plenty of towels in the room. I would definitely book again. The wifi didn't always work well in the room though. But don't ask for help at the desk to find a good restaurant ; the staff (definitely not from NY) didn't even know what the « meatpacking district » was !!
The hotel is also very quiet.

Room Tip: The Bunk Pod with the shared bathroom is cheap and great. It has a sink in the room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This was ideal for my brother and I! We booked a bunk room for 6 nights. Since we only wanted to sleep in the room, it didn't matter about the size. The bathroom indicators above the room door was brilliant!! The beds were comfortable, although an extra pillow would of been nice, that is a minor thing considering our position in the city!

The concierge service was also very good, she answered all our questions even the weird ones, like where can get Chinese takeaway in cartons!!

All in all an awesome visit! Thank you Pod 51!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Joti S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked a bunk room to save money. We knew we would barely be at the hotel anyways.
The hotel was very modern, and clean, so we were happy as soon as we made it to the front desk.
We were not disappointed when we got to our room. Clean, tidy, and the maid in the hall showed us where the bathrooms were and gave me a few extra conditioner packs.
The bathrooms were tidy and we never had to wait to use one.
As a bonus POP just opened and we received a free drink ticket with our stay.
We will be back!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I will start by writing the negative. We paid for a 'double' for four nights. Never in my life have I come across a room whereby the bed is set out parallel to the room wall. This meant that my husband could not get out his side and would have to climb over me to get out the bed. I can see why the hotel do this - to get maximum rooms out of minimal space. They do not show this on the website so I was not expecting this. I went down to the reception to ask if we could change rooms to a double that was configured more normally and they told me that would incur an upgrade to a queen. This was only $20 a night and as I was so unhappy, we went for it but I think it's very disingenuous not to show this on the website - indeed I have just checked the website and they even show the pillows set out as a normal double bed, not laid out to the side. This was not a good start to the holiday. Please note these rooms are known as a FULL POD and they are tiny; there is not even a room enough for two large suitcases standing upright. The bathroom is also tiny which did not bother me but the sink size is minuscule - if you want to wash your face you need to contort your head into a strange position to avoid the tap! The upgrade to the Queen was a lot better - bigger bed configured properly and more room generally. The decor is simple and relatively contemporary but if I'm being brutally honest only marginally better than a Premier Inn (a decent budget hotel in England for those of you who are not British!). On the plus side, the bed themselves are very comfortable and the bed linen was of good quality. The service and concierge is good and the location of the hotel is amazing - I guess that's what you're really paying for. 5 mins from Park Avenue and 10/15 min walk to all the major sites in Midtown - Rockafeller, Chrysler, Grand Central etc. If you're looking for a budget hotel and are aware of the size of the rooms, then this will be a good choice. If you're looking for a little bit of luxury or romance then no, pay a little extra and choose somewhere else!

Room Tip: Choose a QUEEN if you want a proper double bed with access room either side!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BelleL0nd0n
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The rooms are seriously small. No really. I am convinced you’ll find more comfortable hotels for the same price. Yes it is funky and yes it is modern and even if you think you will not spend a lot of time at the hotel, we struggled getting ready at the same time to go out in the evenings. One of us ended up going out of the room whilst the other used the bathroom, hardly convenient. Location is excellent – 1min to Grand Central, 30seconds to buses going to the airports and very walkable to all the major shopping areas.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonBon_Marche
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I was thrilled with this hotel, not fancy but had charm. I was travelling on my own and wanted to see as much of New York as possible. My room was small (as the name suggested) but was really clean and very cute! I had an amazing view out of my window. The little rooftop patio was a surprise bonus, I ended up meeting other people and sharing a few laughs. Fell in love with the litte garden cafe area on the first floor, the wall art was bright and funky with a lot of greenery.
There is a subway station about a block away along with a 24hr CVS which came in handy. From the hotel I walked to the Met, Central Park, Greenwich Village, Times Square (I know some of them are far but there really is no better way to see the city) The Crysler Building was just a few blocks away and made for beautiful night scenery when walking back to the hotel. As for the price I paid $189 a night which, for Midtown Manhattan, I thought was reasonable.

Room Tip: If you can, try to get your own bathroom, some of them have a shared bathroom on the floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo