“great location & good value for money”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #236 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the pod 51 and we couldn't have chosen a better hotel.

The location is great: the next subway station (served by E, M, 6 lines) is just a short walk away, such as the grand central station and the rockerfeller center. There are some nice restaurants, bars and cafes just around the corner. We fell in love with the morning star cafe... they serve great breakfast.
All the staff was really helpful and nice. The housekeeping team did a good job and the concierge was ready to help with directions and tips what to do and where to go.
We booked a bunk bed room and were aware to have shared bathrooms. The bathrooms (I think it should be 4 on each floor) were clean at all times, showers were equipped with a rain shower one of them even had small shower heads on the sides. The room was a bit small, but 1. it`s hard to find a large hotel room New York for a payable price and 2. you don`t stay in your hotel room for long when you`re staying in this great city.
Due to the bad weather the rooftop was not accessible, which means we have to come back another time. We will be back soon for sure!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (5,070)

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Tiny rooms: I'm okay with that. Low ceilings: ditto. But, a significant number of rooms have no toilet: they're located in the hallway. And there's a lively bar downstairs.
Yes, when the bar closed, it was NOISY in the halls.
Also, the cheapness of the place made obviously made it popular with those who considered taking large family vacations: the hallway was THERE space.
When a person went to use the public restroom, it was a three S L A M!!! affair. The room door. The bathroom door. The room door, again.
The front desk staff were borderline surly/disinterested.
I spent sixteen days there: the noise wasn't an unusual occurrence, it never changed though the guests did.
One BIG plus: excellent concierge service, from 2 of them.

Room Tip: None to offer.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed in a bunk bed room with a friend, we were attending a conference at the Grand Hyatt and didn't want to stay at the Hyatt (too expensive). The bunk bed room was a great option, each bed had it's own tv, but being in Manhattan we didn't spend a lot of time there. The room is small but functional. We opted for the room with the shared bathroom. There is a numbered light panel above the door showing which bathrooms are free and which are occupied. We were there for three nights and only one bathroom out of the five on our floor was occupied at any point.

The bathrooms were fantastic! A toilet and shower to yourself, I thought it would be stalls since it was shared, but this was awesome. They were clean and always available.

The staff was very helpful and the cafe was great. The pub downstairs was a lot of fun. I would definitely stay here again.

I also stayed in a room with a double bed since I arrived two days before my friend did. I thought it would be nicer to have my own bathroom. For the money I preferred the bunk bed room. I recommend his hotel and will stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was my first major trip from home and our first stop was New York. We managed to secure a 5 night stay for £180 each, as booking.com had a good deal on at the time.
The reception and café were clean and we had some lovely breakfasts in the morning: cream cheese bagel, salmon, pancakes, waffles.
The room was smaller than we expected, but you go to New York to explore, not to stay in your room all the time. The bunk-beds were comfy and we never had a bad nights sleep, we even had two TVs.
You can easily walk to Times Square, Empire State, Chrysler building, Macy's and Grand Central. If you wanted to take the subway, the nearest one was just around the corner.

Sharing bathrooms was not a problem at all. Out of the six days there, I never once saw a dirty, smelly, or generally unclean bathroom. The employees were helpful, and all of the maids helped me when I had left one of my belongings in the shared bathroom.

A major plus point was the rooftop. I was absolutely blown away by the view.

The only negative point I can say about this stay is that my friend wanted an extra pillow. We asked three times and never got one through our stay. This is only a little, petty point, but as we asked a number of times, I feel like this should be a negative point.

Overall, if you want to come to NYC to explore this wonderful city, then this is the place to stay. The place had lots of character and it was the cleanest hotel I stayed in whilst in America.
I highly recommend this place and this will be my first choice-hotel if I go to NYC again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank laurenpreston13
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Location is great and value is not bad considering crazy Manhattan prices. Rooms are small and nothing special but functional and comfortable. Service is not the best but as it's only a place to sleep while out and about I find it fine and have stayed several times when travelling alone on business. I probably wouldn't stay there with the family though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pete H
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Hip hotel with clean but small and efficient rooms. Centrally situated with ample restaurants in the direct area. Soundproofing in rooms is poor which resulted in late night/early hours noise in the passages from other guests for three nights in a row.
Friendiness: superficial, not genuine. Breakfast: very average
Price/value ratio: fair for NY measures. Would I come back? Maybe

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HarpertvS
Reviewed March 3, 2014

From the moment we walked into this Hotel we were treated like dirt. Although our room was tiny we did not mind that so much at we were in New York and that is expected but the whole week we were there we had terrible experiences with the staff. Upon our arrival they did not even tell us which room we were in or offer to show us to the room they just took the money and gave us some paper with the room number and our keys on it. We were left to find the room for ourselves. Although the check-in was pretty straight forward and we did not think much of it only that the attitude was a bit stand offish and maybe that is how they do it here. However a few days later we were sitting in the reception and saw another couple being checked-in by the same man who checked us in. The man was acting extremely helpful and kind to this couple, saying things like: "I hope you found us okay, and you had a good trip here", "here are some free drink vouchers for the bar next door, oh and here is a voucher to receive discounts on meals at the bar" "I hope you have a wonderful stay with us" "You can take the elevator straight up to your room". We found this even more disturbing as we had previously assumed this was just the way the staff were but not it appears only we were coping all the rudeness. On our last day we had been out all day and it had been raining our coats were completely soaking and we asked is there somewhere we can hang these because we had checked out of our room and still had hours before our bus. The man at the counter said no we do not offer services like that. So we had no way of drying out jackets.

On another occasion we asked a lady at the counter if the hotel offered laundry services or she knew somewhere we could do laundry. The answer there might be a place a few blocks away, but sorry other than that I can not help you. When we spoke with the tourist information person next to the front counter of the hotel and asked him where he recommenced we go in Brooklyn he would not look at us and gave us a map of Manhattan and then said Dumbo is good and then did not tell us how to get there.

Overall this is not a terrible hotel facilities wise but our experience just shows how the staff in a hotel can ruin the whole place for you. We hated going back there every night as it felt like we were not even welcome when we were paying just as much as any of the other guests to stay there.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with one bunk bed and it was super small and the showers are shared outside of...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends