“Small, but clean.”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #236 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed in a Queen room on the 14th floor (out of 14) for a couple weeks while holidaying in New York during December.

The room was small (as the name of the hotel suggests!), but the limited space was used very effectively. The room was very clean. The room also had a heater that kept the temperature very comfortable during the day and night.
The only cons were that:
- the walls were thin, so you could hear the sirens in the street during the night and people in adjoining rooms if they were being moderately noisy.
- WiFi (included in the room rate) was a bit patchy at times, though after a day or two we found that there was a sweet point in the room (near the desk) where you could get good coverage.

Great location. Short walk (approx 3 minutes) to the closest train station (6, E and M lines). Very close to plenty of buses that run along 2nd and 3rd avenues. Close to many bars and restaurants and also very close to a supermarket (Food Emprium) near the corner of 2nd avenue and 51st street.

In a nutshell, it was small, but very clean and overall was pretty good value for money. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,071)

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here for one night, December 13th, 2012. Early check-in was allowed and I was given a room on the 10th floor with a very nice view! My room was not that small; however it was very clean, tv was conveniently placed at the foot of the bed, on the wall of course, and the in-room safe definitely came in handy! All rooms have individual climate control which is a plus (mine wasn't working when I got there so maintenance came and fixed it right away). I also loved the jetted showers in the shared bathrooms! There are 4 per floor and I never had to wait for one. There is also an indicator above the door in your room which lets you know which bathroom is in use. I can't comment on the food, being that i didn't eat at the hotel but the location is great, restaurants are plentiful and the hotel is about 4 blocks from 5th avenue. I will definitely stay here again when I go back to NYC for business!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor! Floors closer to the ground are bound to receive a lot of traffic...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank eileen_miller3
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Location is ok and the style and decoration are the best part of this hotel/hostel. Rooms are small (believe me!) really small and noisy, you can hear everything outside your room. The worst part is the service... Frontdesk personel was always angry, but the worst is the lady at the cafeteria, she completly forget about being in a hotel and offering a service to tourists, i hope she is changed soon, otherwise hotel will lose a lot of clients.The only person that actually help people is the concierge. In general bad service experience, but it is ok for a night or two due the location.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Stayed in a bunk bed room between Dec 6 and 8. I came prepared that the room is very small so that wasn't a surprise. Claustrophobia was not at all an issue since I came from an equally cramped city! For $200 (tax inclusive), Pod offered a clean, quiet and convenient location in early December when other Manhattan hotels charge $250+ pre tax per night. I am very happy given the amount I paid for.

There are 4 shared bathrooms on my floor which were very clean. Some are more spacious than the rest and very often I can choose from at least 3 out of the 4 bathrooms. I never had to wait to bathrooms during my stay.

Location is unbeatable - Subway station is one block away. Both Time Square and Central Park are within walking distance. There are minimal facilities on site but for a short walk you can access restaurants or convenient stores that either operate 24h or late into the night.

There is one minor complain though - there is only one wool blanket and bed cover on the bed. No down blanket (not too unreasonable for budget hotel). It wasn't very warm on winter nights even with the heater at max. I guess I would have gotten extra wool blankets if I requested. That was the only reason that I didn't sleep too well.

This is the place to be if you are looking for a clean and comfortable place to sleep. Think twice if you come with a lot a stuff or are looking for space in the room - room is tiny and I doubt if one can lay two suitcases flat and still move around. Yet they try to utilize every bit of the space so I that very small room you get everything you need for a hotel (wardrobe, safe, desk and chair, sink, a lot of towels, tissues, hairdryer, a window and of course the bed!) I will re-visit Pod if I am coming back the NYC on budget.

P.S. Pod is working with Streetwise New York and offers tours to hotel guests on tip-only basis. It's fun and make sure you check with concierge if you are interested!

Room Tip: Request rooms facing the garden if street noise would be an issue.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2012

unfortunately people seem to have no requests and this place is a hostel not a hotel, but they try hard to be a hotel but sorry musicians playing guitar singing drinking until mornings, rooms are ugly, not good for the price

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
7  Thank worldtraveller1968
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Hello, this is my second trip to NYC and my second stay at the POD, it is clean, modern and in a great position for exploring NYC.

This year the iPod doc didn't charge the iPhone 4, I asked at reception and they are not designed to charge. This is something you might want to know.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the toilets, as they are used throughout the night
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this place for couples, the bedroom is the smallest I have ever stayed in with a WC & bathroom in the room with just a glass door as divider. We spent as little time as possible at the Hotel as it was just too claustrophobic!

6  Thank linda g