“You get what you pay for!”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #230 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We needed a place to stay just for one night and The Pod was a good enough choise for that. We had a bunk room. It was very small, but the beds were quite comfy actually. The room was clean and quiet. We did not care for the bathrooms in the hallway though. The toilet and the showers were in the same room. It was wet, humid and extremely hot in there.
Location is good, so is the service.
The hotel was ok for one night, but I would never choose that for a longer stay in NYC, despite its pricing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (5,014)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed here for 3 days 2 nights last month and to be honest, probably would not have booked this hotel if not for my limited accommodation budget for my 2 week trip in America. In terms of price point, it is considered cheap especially since hotel rates in NYC are quite high for good quality >4 star hotels.

I must say, the hotel had a good location. The subway is about 5 mins away maybe less. There's also a Duane Reade (eqv to Boots in the UK!) just one street away so you could buy water and snacks here. The decor at the lobby had character but the lifts were very small. It was quite busy when we first checked in so had to wait a while for our turn to take the lifts as everyone had big luggages with them. There were no ensuite rooms available for me to reserve online so I ended up with the bunk bed (2 people) with sharing bathrooms.

I must say I did not know what to expect as I have never stayed in a hotel that shared bathrooms! It wasnt as terrible as I thought it would be. They had a light indicator in each hotel room for each of the 4 bathrooms so you know which ones were occupied. Note - bathrooms tend to be busy in the morning so if you plan to use it in the morning around 8am be prepared to wait. Else, just wake up 30mins - 1 hour earlier. It was clean(ish). The bathrooms looked old so dont expect Hilton standard bathrooms! The floors were clean but I wore plastic slippers whilst showering (slight germ phobia on my side). They provide body wash and shampoo but I preferred to use my own.

The room itself was small. Enough space for one huge luggage but if you had two, I dont think you'd have much space to move around in the room. They do provide a sink with lots of clean towels in the room. And they have small tvs for each person on the bunk bed. Staff was helpful so no complaints there.

Overall, for my limited budget, I was quite satisfied with the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an ensuite!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gina Y
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Pod51 is a decent location. plenty of restaurants and bars. quiet rooms but you have to be ready for the smallest bathroom you've ever encountered. you can reach your bedside table while sitting on the toilet. i'll leave it at that.
quiet setting. nice window AC unit that you can control.
comfy bed and while the room is small, it's well designed. so, i recommend the Pod, as long as you are ok with the cruise ship bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We shopped around at hotels in New York trying to find the cheapest hotel, and we hit bingo for this hotel. We stayed in a bunk bed room, but it was fun. One of the cheaper options and the hotel is so nice!!! Shared bathrooms, but they are only outside your door and so beautiful you forget they aren't part of the room. I would definitely recommend! Close to midtown, you could walk in 20 minutes, or catch the two subways that are 5 min walk away

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snad1611
Reviewed October 3, 2012

It's been years that I dream to go to NYC and my dream finally came true this year. For my first time in the Big Apple, I wanted to be alone in order to discover the maximum as possible. I booked a room at the Pod Hotel firstly because of its location (51st, between 2nd and 3rd avenue). So I was really happy with that.
The service is good, people that work there are very nice and helpful. The rooms are cleaned up every single day so I have nothing to say from this point of view. I was just a bit disturbed at night by the noise of the ventilation but I rapidly got used to this.
The only negative point comes from the elevators that can be extremely long. And, this could seem stupid, but they are not very clever as if you ask for them at the 12th floor to go to the first one, and if somebody else ask for on the 14th floor, the elevator doesn't come to the 14th floor before to go down then, but comes to the 12th floor, go up to the 14th and then goes down...

But this is the only negative point for me. And the breakfast is really good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Ludovic B
Reviewed October 1, 2012

As most reviews state - the rooms are tiny. But there's nothing to complain about.
Stayed in a "Bunk Pod" with my friend for almost 2 weeks in May. Shared bathrooms are not an issue at all, in fact, they actually worked out better for us (two 21 year old females) as we weren't on top of each other trying to get ready to go out.
Great location - right near the 4/E train lines.
Rooms have everything needed within them - a bed to crash after a long day shopping/long night partying!
We had 2 suitcases each, as well as a rather large hand-luggage - so long as you're tidy, space really isn't an issue. There's enough space so long as you're not spending all day in your room (who would?)
Would stay again on another visit to the states!

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room away from lifts for less noise but again, was not a massive issue.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends