“My go-to hotel”

Ranked #230 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“My go-to hotel”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I like the pod hotel. It is my go-to hotel for trips to NYC. I go a couple of times a year to go to museums and go shopping, and I have had a hard time finding an inexpensive place to stay. This place is just barely within my budget, but it is nice and clean, is in a great location, a neighborhood I am comfortable walking around in late at night, and is a kinds fun place!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Selkiechick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed in The Pod Hotel for a night before heading to Boston, MA. Coming in from JFK via subway, the hotel was conveniently placed - a very short distance from the subway stop and in a bustling and central NYC location.

The rooms at the Pod are quite small (as detailled on the website) but they are so creatively put together, the rooms come off as cute and compact as opposed to cramped. However, I did only stay for one night. Perhaps longer stays would find the lack of space frustrating. The room I stayed in had two bunks, a sink, good air conditioning, televisions and a hairdryer. The showers/bathrooms were down the corridor but I did not experience any waiting. The toilet/shower facilities themselves were great: good, hot water with a strong pressure. Bathrooms were very clean - as were the bedrooms.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. It is very reasonably priced for New York and the design of the place is really interesting. My only mild complaints are the brisk attitude of the reception staff and the cafe workers. I was also asked to pay a $30 deposit which was returned to me on vacation of the room. I felt this was unnecessary and frustrating as I had not been told about this when I booked online and had to run to an ATM machine, exhausted after a long-haul flight. Some consideration from the reception staff would have been nice to make me feel more welcome, but this is a mild concern. The Pod Hotel is clean, accessible and well worth a stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank maeveobrien
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I stayed many years ago at this place at the time it was still the "Pickwick Arms".
I have to say they made a pretty good job in transforming the hotel in a nice environment to relax after a day exploring the city.

Sure the rooms are tiny but they are tidy and even the rooms without bathrooms are ok to stay as the 4 public bathrooms per floor were clean and maintained so all day long. The toilet occupancy lights inside the room are a unique and interesting feature.

The view from the rooftop is quite nice and a good place to meet other travellers.

For breakfast you can either have it in the hotel terrace or go to one of the many breakfast joints nearby. My favorite place was definitively the little park across the street where they built a waterfall in order to keep the city noise away. By a coffee and a croissant at coffee place inside this park and start the day happily.

Lots of good and decent priced restaurants just a few blocks away.
Nice and centrally located, the Pod is a wonderful base to go and explore the city.
The subway is just 2 blocks away (lines E, M and 6) while places like Rockerfeller Center, Grand Central or Times square are just a 15min walk away.

I surely will come back.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed at The Pod Hotel for 4 nights in October 2011 with my brother and a friend.

LOCATION
The Pod Hotel is a really easy hotel to find. It's slightly east of the major areas of NYC but it's easily within walking distance of Rockefeller Centre and many other similar attractions. There is a subway nearby too and plenty of restaurants and bars too!

ROOMS
We stayed in a good sized room. I'd heard that the rooms could be small but, based on prior experience, our room was much larger than previous NYC hotels that I've stayed in. Our room had a lot of storage and plenty of hangers, drawers, etc as well as a little balcony and a small writing desk. The beds were really comfortable and I had some of the best nights sleep I have had in hotels. There were fresh towels everyday as well as a face cloth per person and a hand towel. The only downside was the bathroom which didn't afford the privacy I would have liked to have had considering I was with my brother and a male friend. The door, a sliding frosted glass door, covered the shower (a good shower with plenty of hot water) while showering but not the toilet area which meant you had to step out into the toilet area, pull the shower curtain closed again and the pull the door along to get dried off. However, the shower curtain was white so was slightly see through (the screen on the shower was clear glass). This I didn't like and it wasn't really a fun experience. Luckily there were communal showers which were more private - I don't see why the glass in the shower couldn't be frosted and then have a sliding door too!

MISC
All staff were really helpful and kind and the food in the cafe was reasonably priced and very tasty. I was impressed with the extras like iPads in the lobby and a few other bits and pieces. The cost was good and the hotel was always immaculate which I was pleased about as I find this to be my major priority!

Overall, I liked this hotel and I'd definitely go back to it. I thought the prices were really reasonable and the location was good ($10 taxi from Times Square). I think some rooms would be small for some people but ours was more than adequate and surprised me with the space we had. Also, free wifi was very handy!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Portland
Reviewed October 27, 2011

My mom and I recently said one night at The Pod Hotel before switching to another hotel that we had received as part of a package. We originally booked a room with bunk beds and no bathroom, but were upgraded to a room with two twin beds and a private bathroom. The rooms were small as anticipated, but it worked for us. They did have good use of the space and it was nice having the option of also using one of the shared bathrooms down the hall since it was impossible for us both to get ready in a tiny bathroom. The only thing I did not like was the window in the bathroom that looked out into the room. It felt a little to open to me and lacked a little privacy. However, once the steam of the shower covered the window you can't see through it.

We loved the location since it was a short walk to the subway, Rockefeller Center, Time Square, 5th Ave, etc. I would definately stay here again, especially if traveling solo!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Great place for the price..... don't get panicked from the shared bathroom. Its very clean. Would come back again.

• Stayed October 2011
Southern California
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This is the smallest room of my life. No kidding. Thank goodness I have a toilet. Not all rooms do.

More like a prison. Cell.

• Stayed October 2011