“Small clean rooms, fabulous location”
Review of Pod 51 Hotel

Pod 51 Hotel
Ranked #230 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay in the Pod. The rooms are tiny (we had the bunk beds with shared bathrooms) but are clean, have everything you need and is the best location in the city. We loved being so close to everything and being able to walk to main tourist attractions and the subway station. We had an issue with a lock and our one light and this was fixed within an hour of us telling them about it. The only issue we had is that there is no business centre, even just a few desktops with internet would be great for travellers who do not travel with laptops. The bar attached to the hotel is great and the Thai restaurant 2 doors down is fantastic and they do a $12 lunch fixed meal which is divine. Also, great that you can get a shuttle organised for you from the hotel to all airports, really made it very easy! All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (5,016)

Reviewed March 31, 2011

The Pod hotel was everything i needed from a hotel in New York....clean, comfortable and right in the heart of it all without having to pay through the roof (It's literally 2 blocks from 5th ave and rockefellar). My friend and i shared a bunk bed room (with shared bathrrom). The room itself was great...the window looked out onto other buildings but they weren't in arms length so we had light in our rooms (not as common as you would think in NYC), the beds were comfortable, there was a desk, tvs by each bed, safe, towels, hairdryer, coat hooks, rail for clothes and a small sink. The shared bathrooms were fairly modern and rarely in use (but if they were red lights above your room door would indicate if they were occupied). Everything was very clean and the bathrooms must've have been cleaned very regularly because whenever i used them it looked like no one else had. The reception area was lovely...cool art and modern furniture (We didn't get chance to see the roof top terrace but it looked lovely from the pics). The guest service girl and the reception staff were very helpful. The only thing that was not excellent was the size of the lifts....very small...but that really isn't a big deal.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I had booked a single room. I got a room, which was cold and smelly from cigarettes. I complained and got another one, only cold. Outside temp. dropped to 3 dg. C and I warmed the room with a hairdryer.) The next day I complained and the heating was fixed. The problem was that it overheads the room instantly and then it stops and the room cools down for like 20 min. Before the heating sys. overheats the room again. Then I moved to my friend's place with a cold.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I stayed in the Pod Hotel for a week in March with my boyfriend and brother- my parents stayed in the Marriott round the corner but we wanted something a bit more in our price range. At £90 for a bunk-bed room, it certainly wasn't cheap- even by New York standards- but was welcoming and a lot of fun to stay in. I would definitely stay here again.

Some reasons why I liked the Pod!:
- Very friendly staff who would go out of their way to help us, the concierge in particular deserves a mention
- Amazing view from rooftop, especially at night- will bring a bottle of wine next time!
- Bright and funky designs in lobby and bedrooms, which make up for the tiny rooms
- Bedrooms were immaculate and were tidied after ever time we went out
- Rooms also have a safe to keep valuables
- Great location right in Mid-town East (where all the tall buildings are!)
- Good for meeting people especially if you're a solo traveller

Some possible drawbacks are that you can hear everything that goes on in the hallway, and sometimes in the adjoining rooms, so maybe not ideal if you are a light sleeper. I brought earplugs though and had no problem sleeping. Rooms are very small but if you only really use your room to sleep in (which we did) then you won't find it a problem.
Also remember the bathrooms are shared- showers are lovely though.

Room Tip: bring earplugs as rooms are not soundproof!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2011

The Pod used to be a budget hotel, but has moved up in price since the renovations, which have lifted the vibe of the place a lot. Rooms are small, but the reality is ALL hotel rooms in New York City are small. Besides, if you're visiting Manhattan, what are you doing in your room? Clean, hip, functional and providing a range of options. It was a great fit for us on our trip to NY. Great hotel, good location, good staff.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zen2282
Reviewed March 24, 2011

This is the third time I have stayed at the Pod and also my 3rd review.Last two times
I was a solo traveler but this trip I had taken my 26 year old daughter and got her take on the hotel.
The room we stayed in was the bunk beds with shared bath.It was clean and comfortable.She thought the room was small but larger than another hotel we stayed at previously.We were able to move around and had carry-ons so luggage did not take up alot of space.We both liked the brightness of the room and enjoyed having the window with shades as some other hotels your looking at a wall of another building so the mornings made it a welcomed addition and could look outside to check the weather.
Being very cold out during our stay I though she would mind the walk to Times Square but she did not as there were alot of place to eat along the way that we could stop and get a coffee and on our return stop at a corner block from the hotel stock up on goods to eat in our room.Although we walked down we took a taxi on our return which costs about $8 includung tip.
She really loved the shared bath and said she could have stayed in there longer and was delighted at the view up on the roof.
I got this on a package deal so the stay was inexpensive but in the cold I
rather stay closer to Times Square so I can keep going back to hotel to refresh,change,dropoff packages and get warm!But since the price was right and I never had a problem with the hotel -the Pod is one of my top choices when I visit.
Only negative is I wish they had larger trash cans in room and daughter wanted better pillows.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Hi, This used o be my favorite hotel ..budget hotel ..be warned it is no longer budget but one of the most expensive hotel rooms in NY for a single room that you have to SHARE a bath..it used to be in the $80,s sometime even 70,s now get this for the smallest room in NY with a shared bath now 159.00 plus tax so allmost $200.00!!!!! for repeat about a 30 square foot room where you have to share a bath..and a double is like 250.00 plus tax..They need to go back to the 80,s plus tax was $105.00 to share a bath ..new price they might as well rename the place as the most crazy priced place in NYC!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple