“Clean Hotel - No views - Lacks conviences”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #188 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Very expensive hotel at $350 and not worth it. Other expenses will add up as well. This hotel has no parking in the building and no in/out . We were told there was parking so we rented a car. Valet parking $45/per day or $35/ per day for self parking. I tipped the bellman to bring my bags up only to have them brought up to the third floor lobby where I would check in. Another bellman would take your bags to your room from there to for another tip. Forget about bringing the cart with your bags in it up to the room, the bellman told me I would have to take it out it is against hotel policy -and unprofitable. Buffet breakfast for three $48 plus tip. The business lounge is a rip off $10 for 5 minutes (bring your own laptop). I was told NY had a bed bug problem - not in this hotel it was clean and comfortable. Overall the hotel lacked hospitality and I felt like I was nickle and dimed to death. My suggestion wait for lower rates and stay at the Waldorf for the same price.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank sal152
Write a ReviewReviews (8,415)

Reviewed September 6, 2007

Having already been to NYC, my husband and I thought it would be fun to bring our 3 girls to NYC for a family vacation. When my husband and I went a few years ago we stayed at the Marriott Marquis which I will do again next time I go. Trying to save money we booked The Double Tree Suites this time. What they call a suite is tiny for five us although we were told we would be comfortable. We thought we could put our 9 and 12 year old daughters on the pull out couch to sleep...it was very uncomfortable! We ended up pulling the matress off of the pull out couch and put it on the floor for them to sleep. We were told we would get a suite with a view of Time Sqaure...what view?......I looked at an office building from my window for 5 days! Which was very disappointing since the view we had at The Marquis was fabulous...and my kids really missed out! Speaking of windows, they looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a very long time! The room as a whole was okay, clean just smaller than expected. The staff was okay and prompt when asked for extra things such as pillows.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Victoria A
Reviewed September 5, 2007

IF you are looking for a great hotel that is in the middle of everything,look no further.This is an excellent location.Restaurants,theaters,etc are all in walking distance.I found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The room was cleaned everyday and the warm chocolate chip cookie that we got on arrival was a nice surprise.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Lady480
Reviewed September 1, 2007

The location is great. Upon arrival I notified the front desk that the refridgerator was defrosting with water on the bottom and the armoir door hinge was broken. These items were never attended to during our six night stay. The toilet was slow flushing. Shower curtain was smelly.

Conceirge gave us directions 5 or 6 blocks in the wrong direction and we almost missed our day trip. Later I notified the conceirge of the correct location they were unconcerned and did not write down the address. So I won't use them again. Ask a stranger on the street they are more than glad to help.

We tipped housekeeping every day and very disappointed that the shower, toilet and floor were not cleaned every day in fact, maybe not cleaned at all during our stay. The shower curtain was replaced however. Maybe this is the standard in NY city but not something we are accustomed to in any other place even the bungalows on the beach in Mexico are cleaned every day.

We are HiltonHonors Gold Members and were offered complimentary buffet breakfast each day of our stay which was adequate to start our day. Egg chef was great.

• Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank tlnickell63
Reviewed August 29, 2007

Like many others, I booked our group using hotel wars. [--]
It was all done by email and the rates and emails used were generic. We only need ten rooms but we still wanted a good rate. The Doubletree was awesome for location and I dont think that I will be lucky enough to get to go back at the price we got. In fairness, we did hear about this place from asianinbound.com or [--] which has some reviews for hotels that are "tour friendly" this hotel is not that tour friendly as is a hotel for real tourists who want to linger in the downtown hustle and bustle. The hotel was very well run and the front desk agent s and housekeeping almost always said hello each time. (which is a great sign). Loved it to the max.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2007

We booked the Hilton Doubletree on Times Square not expecting the highest level of service and room accomodation, but boy were we wrong! On arrival at the reception desk we were pleasantly greeted and were informed that our room was ready and due to us being a Hilton Honours Gold member were immediately offered a free full house breakfest for the duration of our stay! We were also delighted with our room which was located on the top floor (43rd). On setting up my laptop in the suite I was also given free wireless internet access due to my gold membership with hilton! The views from our room were great, overlooking times square and the room itself was well presented with a coffee machine, microwave, minibar and safe. Having stayed at the W Hotel on times square which is also supurb but now having stayed at the Doubletree Suites I will definately return here or another Doubletree establishment. The only issues we had was queuing for breakfast in the morning but as it was holiday season this was understandable. Overall would recommend to any family wanting to stay in new york.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank cardifftravelleruk
Reviewed August 26, 2007

It looked like this was going to be a bad review.
It was my twin sister and I first time in New York.
Our room was spacious, and the beds were heavely, but the room had a slight damp odor. When we came back we saw why. the air-conditioner had leaded in the room. They cleaned up the mess. We went out and came back again. Still an odor. Always speak up!
We called the desk and they changed our room...to a room with a horrible view of an air condtioner unit. Complained, we were not paying this hotel price for such mess. They upgraded us to the conference suite!
Nothing more to add. It was utterly amazing with a wrap around view of Times Square in this huge suite.
It was a major plus for such a simple thing, but getting a freshly made warm chocolate chip cookie at check-in, or any time you requested, was such a treat.
The only thing was the doorman/security and if he JUST saw you go in and out, he still insisted on seeing your hotel card to go in...they didn't even do that at the "W".

• Stayed: November 2006