“Great location! Excellent hotel staff, especially Michael!”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
NYC
“Great location! Excellent hotel staff, especially Michael!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Excellent stay. The room was very spacious with a small living room, microwave and fridge. And clean and quiet, too. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating, especially Michael. Each night, after returning from a long day of touring - Michael welcomed us with a warm smile and delicious cookie! The location is perfect.... right across the street from the half price tickets to broadway, close to Rockefeller Center, 15 minutes walking to Central Park. The Duck boat tour is exactlly 5 steps outside the door. Getting to the hotel is very easy. We took the express bus from Manhattan. It stops first at Grand Central and then Port Authority (42nd and Eighth). Get off at the second stop and walk to Times Square. The hotel is on the left side of the big Coke sign. Double Tree hotel in Times Square is at the top of my list for New York hotel recommendations. I look forward to staying here again.
PS: There is a TGIF restaurant and electronic shop next door. Look up at the surveillance camera and call someone you know on the cell phone! www.earthcam.com/

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nycrat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,499)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

We were very pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Service was excellent, right from our arrival at the hotel to check-out. We have been to NYC quite often but this was our first time staying in Times Square. Location of the hotel was great and noise was minimal. The rooms were a little tired and may be in need of renovations but all in all, we were very happy with our decision to stay here.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oscgrove
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2009

Four friends in one hotel room. This was the only place in town where we could all fit comfortably and stay within our budget. Having a fridge, coffee maker and sitting area in addition to two double beds was very convenient and the location was central to all of our sight-seeing. No amenities like one would expect in an all-suites hotel (like free-WiFi or continental breakfast) but the ability to cram 4 of us in a room for the same price as one room with a double bed in the W would have cost was totally worth it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank tinkleflick
Orange County California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

I have stayed in dozens of hotels in New York City and, by far, this hotel offers the MAXIMUM in service. When they say they want to be a 10, THEY MEAN IT. I get points at the Hyatt and the Starwood Hotels (Westin) but their service doesn't come close to the Doubletree so I have chosen to stay here when I travel to the city for business. I feel comfortable, I feel secure, every request I have had has been granted - there is no reason to stay anywhere else! Marcos, their number one bell hop ALWAYS welcomes me back. Hanna, the sweet and beautiful hostess at the restaurant makes me feel as if I am the only customer in the place. I cannot say enough about these fine people. To be remembered and treated so kindly everytime I return is a RARE GEM for a large hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Blnaq
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I travelled to New York with my two teenage children in October half term, and chose The Doubletree Guestsuites because we wanted somewhere central. I wasn't disappointed one bit. The location couldn't have been better. We were right in the middle of Times Square where it really didn't sleep. However, the hotel rooms are all located on high floors and the heavy drapes helped to shield out noise and lights so it didn't affect our sleep when we finally decided to lay our heads down.

What was also so great about the locations was that we were able to walk to see a show in the evening, walk to a range of restaurants includng TGI Fridays and Planet Hollywood, walk to Macy's, Fith Avenue and most of the good shopping areas without exhausting ourselves or getting blisters. The hotel was even in walking distance to the Empire State Building, Rockerfellers and Central Park. I would definitely advise people staying at the hotel to walk to your locations as much as possible, as you soon get to find your way around and you also see so much more. Besides, the traffic is so hectic, that often enough, it is probably quicker to walk than take a cab. The only times we needed to grab a a taxi was when it absolutely poured down and when we needed to get to the harbour to get a boat to take us on a tour.

For those wanting to sightsee, I would recommend both Rockerfellers observation deck, as well as Empire State Building. We went to Rockerfellers in the daytime and Empire at night. It didn't close until 2am so we went at midnight. Brilliant choice - no queues and lit up New York at night was breath-taking. When we got out, we were offered a limosine ride back to the hotel for a mere $20. Needless to say, we accepted and it was great. I would also recommend the Circle Line cruise, which takes you down the Hudson, where you can see Manhattan Island, as well as the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge and many other main attractions. I bought a New York Pass which I used to get into most of the attractions. I haven't worked out yet if I managed to save money, but it probably saved us a little time from queueing. Although, in all honestly, we never experienced any major long queues anywhere.

For those who love to shop, there is great variety. There are the top class stores but if you search, you will also find some reasonable priced discount stores. There is something for everyone but I wouldn't say you would be able to find anything cheaper than you can in England. I loved Macys most. The same goes for eating out. I didn't think it was particularly cheap but probably what you would expect to pay in most restaurants in London. Alcoholic drinks, I found were overpriced. I remember paying anything from $16-$22 for a double Baileys. And when I thought about buying a bottle in, I was horrified to find that the hotel could supply a bottle for $110.

One of the great things about the hotel, other than the location, excellent room, facilities and service, was that we were allowed to bring in our own food and drink. This was particularly useful as my two teenagers were able to nip out late at night and bring in a MacDonalds from next door when they felt peckish. There were even mornings, when they fancied MacDonalds pancakes for breakfast. The room had both a fridge and a microwave, which meant if you do want to cater for yourself a little to save money, you can. It certainly helped me out with my two teenagers who constantly wanted to snack.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. If you are thinking about going, do so. It really is a fantastic place to visit. Oh and if you go to Central Park, I would definitely recommend the little bicycle cab rides which will take you on an hour guided tour. We had a fantastic time, the guide was hilarious and showed us so many landmarks and could tell us about practically every location within the park which had been the scene for numerous films and TV shows. It cost about $80 for the guide but he really did earn it and it was great fun and Central Park in Autumn was truly stunning. The three of us loved New York. Both of my children want to move there. I wouldn't go that far but I am planning on going back in a couple of years, but I'd like to make my next visit at Christmas time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Callum-Forder
OBX, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

Wow! This was my 7th trip to Times Square in 3 years. I'd never stayed at the Doubletree before, as we're members of another chain's rewards program. But, at the last minute I had the opportunity to travel to NYC and booked what was really the only reasonably priced room in the area.
Upon arrival at 10 am, I was delighted to find a room available. When we got to the room, I was blown away by the view, overlooking Times Square, not to mention the size of the room, it was huge for NYC standards. I was a bit concerned since we were located by the elevators, but because of a hallway leading from our door to the bedroom, elevator noise was not a factor.
I would definately recommend this hotel to friends, as well as stay there again of the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I have just returned from my second visit to New York City with 3 friends. I could highly recommend this hotel to other travellers. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff esp Daniel. Our suite was more than adequate with a fridge, microwave etc etc. The cleaning and house keeping staff were very helpful and nice. Room was spotless when we arrived and it was serviced every day.

The only criticism that I have is that when you switch on the tv, the entertainment package comes on automatically which you have to pay for if you use-we weren't aware of that and ended up buying a music package that we didn't want.

I will def return to this hotel and would highly recommend it to fellow travellers.

PS The welcome cookies were delicious- thanks Daniel :-)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends