“Girls vacation..Loved the Doubletree Times Square NYC”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #184 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Fresno, Ca
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Stayed at the Doubletree June 23-27, 2005. We had planned our"Girls vacation" for six months and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Doubletree because of reviews we read in trip advisor about other hotels we were considering. We loved the newly renovated suites. The beds were the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in. Everything in our room was perfect. Even the housekeeping.

The location is great! Easy access to the Theatres, subways, central park. It is a oasis in the craziness of Times Square. The doorman, front desk and concierge were wonderful. We got good advice and help from all of them.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square

Reviewed July 16, 2005

I was extremely impressed by such a wonderful hotel in a great location! My husband and I planned a trip to NY to see a broadway show and do some sightseeing. We couldn't have been more pleased with the Doubletree Suites location, literally right on Times Square. All the broadway shows are within a couple blocks walking distance. We were a little skeptical when we were assigned a room right next to 4 elevators, but the Doubletree has somehow managed to make these rooms virtually soundproof. During the day, we could hear some ambulances on the street, but at night it was so quiet. And, I would love to buy one of the beds in the hotel as it was one of the best night's sleep I've had... the mattress was perfect! The advice given by the concierge wasn't always the best, but probably ok for people who are visiting NY for the first time.

• Stayed: June 2005
8  Thank nctravelnut99
Reviewed July 16, 2005

My 9 year-old son and I stayed two nights at The Doubletree last weekend.

We had been scheduled to fly in on Thursday evening, but our flight was cancelled and we had to take an early morning Friday flight. I called the front desk and was able to get my reservations changed around. I was staying on Hilton Honors points and had to make a few extra calls, but everyone was helpful and things worked out.

I had asked for a room on a high floor, away from the elevators. Our request was granted as we were given a room on the 33rd floor of the 43 story hotel and we were as far from the elevator as possible. The only downside of our room location was that we were as far from Times Square as we could be. Our room looked out over 49th Street.

The rooms that face out over Times Square would appear to be rooms 01, 02 and 03 on each floor. Room 01 is right next to the elevators (all 7 of them) and 02 and 03 also each appear to face Seventh Avenue. I don't know how quiet they are, but if you want a great view, you will likely be near the elevator.

As others have noted you need to show your room key or have your name checked against the reservations list to gain admission into the small ground floor lobby and to take one of the three elevators to the third floor registration area. These elevators were always quick to arrive. I do not think we ever waited longer than 15 seconds for an elevator, coming or going. The main entrance is at the corner of 49th and 7th, right in Times Square, so the security is nice.

I had asked for a room away from the elevator to ensure it was quiet, and we did have a quiet room.

To be honest, we were not in the room that much. I did not come to New York to sit around my hotel. I was looking for a room with a comfortable sleeping quarters, clean, safe, convenient to the subway and close to the New Amsterdam Theater where we had tickets to see Lion King. The Doubletree met those requirements. Other than late night and early morning, we did not spend more than 30 minutes at a time in the room.

The king size bed was very comfortable. 7 pillows on the bed, great mattress. Had probably my best nights sleep in a hotel in a long time. I usually don't sleep well in strange beds, but had no troubles here.

The bathroom had entrances into both the bedroom and "living room." There was only one sink in the bathroom. The shower had good water pressure and decent heighth. I did not have to worry about the shower head being below my head (I am 6-2).

The living room area had a sleeper sofa, chair, desk in front of the window (with extra power outlets and phone jacks) and a dresser with the TV on it. It also had a small sink (wet bar type) and a refrigerator. There was an honor bar in the dresser area that we did not even look at.

Our room had a king size bed. There really was not much extra room in the bedroom. The bed, two night stands and Armoire (with TV) pretty much took up all of the room.

While the rooms are of ample size, the overall size of the suite I found comparable to a typical room in the Hamptons, Courtyards, etc that you find along the Interstate highways. Maybe a touch bigger, with the bathroom definitely bigger. But I don't know that I would want to try more than 4 people in one of these suites.

We did not eat at the hotel. The Kids area was closed when we left.

The conceirges were helpful. Gave us subway directions that we needed and other advice.

I would stay again at The Doubletree, but I don't know what I would pay for a room (as noted above, I stayed for free using Hilton points). Given how little time I spent in the room, I might be tempted to try somewhere else if the price were right. But if the Doubletree price was competitive, I would stay here and take the known quantity.

12  Thank ysuindy
Reviewed July 9, 2005

The location is good and bad. Good because it is centrally located. There are shows, good restaurants and shopping withing walking distance. Bad because you have to fight your way through crowds, especially after dark. Crowds don't usually bother me, but the sense of relief each time I entered the lobby was extremely strong. Once inside the hotel, you would never know what is just outside the door. Our suite was recently updated. There was plenty of room. The beds were comfortable and even the sleep sofa wasn't too bad. We got cookies and the kids got backpacks with playing cards, a ball, a coloring book and crayons when we checked in. Each morning we got a USA Today outside our door. Don't use the internet machine in the lobby. You pay by the minute and it took 4 minutes just to access one web page. The concierge admitted it was slow and suggested the Kinko's around the corner. Also, don't go to the TKTS booth across the street. The lines are terrible. There is another boot at South Street Seaport which has very short lines and sells the same tickets. The concierge also gave us some dining suggestions, of which one is worth passing on. Ollie's is an inexpensive Chinese restaurant 2 blocks away. We also liked Virgil's for barbeque and Ellen's Stardust Diner for the great entertainment.

11  Thank frozenfamilyof5
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Our stay at the Doubletree Suites was as wonderful as what we expected after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor! Our girls week included one senior, 2 ladies in their 30's and a 6 year old. This hotel met all of our needs! We asked for a rennovated room which had been suggested on TripAdvisor. We were glad we did since we were not originally given one. They promptly fulfilled our request. Although we were on the back side of the hotel and missed the view, it was extremely quiet which was amazing considering the noise level on the street! We loved the comfortable beds, size of the room and ammenities. The big mirror and plugs on the outside of the bathroom was great since 2 of us needed to get ready at once! The hotel staff was extremely pleasant, especially the men opening the doors for us each time we entered the hotel. The security was amazing. We had to show our hotel key each time we entered to even get on the elevator that took you to the reception desk area on the third floor. Then you had to get on another set of elevators to go up to the rooms. Although it wasn't the most convenient way of getting to your room, it certainly was worth the peace of mind since the Times Square Area itself was quite busy. Quite frankly, the location for us was a good and bad thing. We loved being centrally located to all of our activities, but getting back to the hotel late at night was a chore since the streets of Times Square were so congested. But, the upside was that we could walk to most of our destinations. If we couldn't walk, the subway was right next to the hotel and taxis are a dime a dozen in this area. I highly suggest this hotel for its cleanliness, updated rooms, location, security, and room size!

• Stayed: June 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2005

We stayed at the property for one night after a week in Canada.

Check-in: Very efficient and welcoming which was nice after a long drive from Ontario. We received backpacks and warm cookies for the children upon check-in. Very nice touch!

Room: We were given room 1911 which was a city view. The room was clean and nicely appointed for a hotel of this calibar. I belive it is a AAA three diamond property. The two room suite had a very comfortable bed with a lot pillows, the other room had a pull out sofa bed. Each room had a TV which is always nice especially if you have children. The room has a microwave and a fridge. We realized the fridge was not working the next morning when we went to heat up our dinner from the night before. I called the customer care line and told them that the fridge was not working. We had meals which contained meat that we could not eat since it was not kept cold. The man I spoke with was VERY courteous and offered us breakfast on the house at the hotel. It was 11:15 when I called and their breakfast ends at 11:30. I explained that I couldn't get there in time with three small children and pack up our luggage too. He understood and told me to have lunch at the restaurant instead. What great service!

Restaurant: The service was good as was the food. Nice setting, quiet location.

Childrens Center: This was closed due to renovations so we did not see it.

Bathroom: Clean bathrooms, shower/tub area okay (could use a little cosmetic work), Neutrogena amenities.

Security: Very good security. The hotel is right in Times Square so the xtra security is a plus. You must show your room key to enter the lobby area.

Check-out: I used the express check-out since everything was accurate on the paper bill I received the morning we were scheduled to check out. We checked our luggage with the bellman since we were planning to stay in the city for several hours. When we returned to pick up our luggage our a backpack was missing. After looking in the luggage room for some time, it could not be found. The staff person was very apologetic and considerate. He took our information and told us he would call the following day to let us know if it was found. It was found just as we were exiting the parking lot across the street. He called us on our cell phone and ran across the sreet to deliver the backpack with everything in tact (gameboy, gameboy games etc).

Overall, I would definitely stay here again. I don't have a single complaint. Well done to the staff at the Doubletree. We will be back.

14  Thank travelismymiddename
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square the week of Labor Day 2004 and loved it! The location is in the middle of all the action, the hotel is beautiful and secure, the staff was very courteous. We were on the 35th floor in a corner room which gave us an excellent view down the street, plus the large NBC "tv". The room was nicely decorated, felt new and we were amazed at how quiet it was considering how noisy it is outside - we didn't hear a single siren or horn honk once we got inside. The front doors are a little hard to find the first time because the entrance is on a busy corner and is somewhat camoflauged but worth the trouble - especially since the TKTS discount tickets booth is 40 feet away.The location made it easy for us to walk everywhere in and around Times Square, up and down Broadway, to all the theaters, and to tons of restaurants, not to mention being in the middle of all the action you expect. While we were considering what show to buy tickets for at the TKTS booth we were approached bya staff member from the David Letterman show and were given free tickets for the following nights show!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member