DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #177 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Anywhere and Everywhere
“No Surprises”
Reviewed November 13, 2008

No surprises. It's exactly like every Doubletree out there. Rooms were clean and beds comfortable. Its right in the middle of Times Square so for those that prefer that locale this would be a good option.

for those that enjoy an authentic experince go to Queens and have a pint in one of the last few remaining Irish bars in Woodside

Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,532)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We stayed at this hotel Oct. 19th to 24th, we are 4 Irish ladies who went on a shopping trip.We booked a "2 doubles 2 room suite" and we had plenty of space (believe me we had lots of bags), but never felt like we were tripping over each other.There are 3 sinks and loads of mirror space, so no problems getting ready.Its smack bang in the middle of Times Square but we couldnt hear ANY noise from our room and the drapes must be blackout because it was so dark at night and the beds were comfortable so a good nights sleep was had by all (this is not always easy in NY). Other hotels we've stayed in had a lot of traffic noise. We were there during the renovations but it didnt inconvenience us in any way and we didnt hear noise from that either (yes it looks a bit unsightly but we dont spend much time hanging around lobbies, there's too much else to be doing! and we never encountered any queues at the desk) Front desk staff are really friendly and oh those cookies...! We didnt go to the bar/restaurant because why would you? there's so much on your doorstep..we saved a fortune in taxi fares because it's so central. The "Evergreen" diner around the corner is good for breakfast ($10 will get you breakfast and its served late, maybe all day). We will definitely be back to this hotel, in fact we've checked rates already for next year! the rates are so good at the moment for what you get. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend it....!

• Liked — Location, Price, room size, cookies at check-in!
  • Disliked — double beds were a little small?
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank sligoshopaholic
Manchester, England
Reviewed October 29, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my husband in Oct 2005. Located on Times Square, it was like living in two worlds - outside it was like being in a madhouse, inside it was peaceful and clean. I am returning to the same hotel in November 2008 with my Mother as I know my way around from that point and know exactly how to find things without too much stress....it IS completely mad outside, but inside its like breathing a sigh of relief. Not the absolute best hotel I have ever stayed in, but very good for the money.

• Liked — The space in the room -- you get a lounge and a bedroom and a kitchen. Great when your husband is snoring away and you have jet lag or want to watch TV.
  • Disliked — Times Square at halloween was a bit of a shock to the system! But that is not the hotels fault.
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Merlin1968
Toronto
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Four of us booked our 4 night stay (Oct 21-25) in NY at the Doubletree Suites Times Square and then I read a couple of reviews and got concerned. However, we had a terrific stay. Our room was on the 42nd floor with a great view south. The only time we heard any noise was when we opened the windows. The beds were really comfortable- as were the pillows. The huge counter in the bathroom plus the mirror/sink /counter in the living room really worked for our group of 4. It was very clean.
We called up for more coffee on our first morning and it was at the door within 3 minutes. Followed by a phone call from the front desk asking if we had received it yet. GREAT SERVICE. The concierge helped us with show ticket info on several occasions.
The location really can't be beat. We arrived from the airport at 6:15pm- checked in- dumped our luggage in our room, went across the street and bought half price tickets to a show and were in our seats at the theater by 7pm. So that lovely warm chocolate chip cookie they give you on checkin was a life saver as we didn't get to eat until much later.
Although the lobby is under construction right now- it wasn't a problem at all.
We will definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no luggage racks- had to put some suitcases on floor
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LorraineToronto
New Jersey
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Excellent one night stay in October. On the 17th Floor with a view of Times Square. All the lights, signs, and people, but none of the noise. I was absolutely amazed at how quiet and dark the room was when we closed the curtains for bed. Room was nice - bed, bath, and living room with wet bar. Bed was very comfortable, but the linens were not fantastic. One note of caution: they are doing construction in the lobby and when we were there, it looked like a disaster area. You walk straight into a set of scaffolding when the elevator opens into the lobby and there are sheets of black cloth covers the walls by the room elevators. Turned out this didn't impact our short stay, but it was pretty jarring as our first exposure to the hotel.

• Liked — Location with great views of Times Square
  • Disliked — Lobby construction
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelCuties
Tanzania
Reviewed October 24, 2008

IF YOU ARE GOING TO NYC – STAY AT THE TIMES SQUARE DOUBLETREE!!

I am an extremely frequent traveler, and stay at hotels across the world (approx 7 nights a month). I was lucky enough to retire early, and travel mostly for pleasure. That said, I am always looking to get the most bang for my bucks!

Honestly, this is one of the best hotels I’ve stayed at, and there are three very specific reasons why…

+1 The Service was amazing. As soon as I stepped out of my Taxi (NY taxi ride is an experience to say the least…) I was greeted by a doorman that managed to make me feel welcome and special. Not only was he friendly, professional, and helpful, his unique “New York” approach/feel was unforgettable. I entered the hotel and felt extra safe by the 2 level lobby and 24 hour security guard stationed before the elevator. (Please read remarks below about the “lobby renovation”) My check in was a perfect “10”. The front desk staff understood my needs, and recommended the perfect suite for me. I had read a lot of reviews (as usual) and wanted to make sure I got the perfect room. All of them were great. Between the front desk and the concierge, I feel like I really understood what I was getting into and was able to plan the best possible trip. From that point on, everyone I encountered, whether I was riding the elevators or having a snack in restaurant was really [genuinely] friendly and helpful. I really felt like they were happy to go out of their way and help with whatever I needed.

+2 Physically, the space I had in the suite was quite literally twice as large as other NYC hotels for the same price. Let me say that again, you get a full bed room AND a full living room for the same price that most other nyc hotels charge for just the bedroom. This was absolutely amazing! I can’t believe that all these years I have been staying in the “trendy closets” some of hotels call rooms!!

+3 Location Location Location!!! Right across from the half price broadway ticket both, the Doubletree is in the best location at the heart of nyc!

-1 The only negative is that while I stayed the hotel was under renovations in the lobbys and restaurant. This meant that the lobby did not really have any place to sit. The restaurant was fully functioning. To be honest, this did not really bother me too much as I was out all day anyway… In the suite, I could not hear or sense the renovation at all! The pictures of the new lobby look great, and I am looking forward to seeing it done!!!

*** Overall, this hotel is truly a steal. Enjoy your visit, and make sure you stop by the front desk (aside for check in). The agents are awesome!! And a warm cookie is never far behind their great recommendations and their warm smile!

• Liked — Service, Suite Size, Location, Price!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank yp43
Reviewed October 13, 2008

If you like Times Square and want a 2-room suite this hotel should have a lot to offer.

I certainly hoped so.

But after 3 nights the terrible way they run the property has overwhelmed any nice feelings I ever had about it.

I think it is one of these cases where the staff has learnt to have enormous contempt for their customers and it shows. I suspect that this must come from the management down.

It manifested itself from the rude and off-hand way that we were greeted at the check-in desk.

To the arbritrary and odd way they decided to cancel our room service order as they were too busy and not tell us about it keeping us waiting in our room for 2 hours.

PS Also watch out. We were billed for two items from the minibar even though we did not open it.

• Liked — 2-room suites
  • Disliked — Customer service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank TuckerFamily
DoubletreeNYC, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this review, December 2, 2008
We sincerely regret the perception the Tucker Family had of our team members during check-in, for the long wait they experienced when ordering room service on one occasion, and certainly for the error on their mini-bar charges.

The manner in which the Tucker Family was greeted upon check-in is definitely an exception to the approach and impression that we strive to portray to all of our guests. We strive to be warm, considerate, and engaging to each and every person that walks through our doors. We have spoken to the guest service agent who served the Tucker Family so that this team member understands how they perceived their interaction with her and that so she may better understand moving forward how her attitude and approach impacts our guests.

As for the room service order, the long wait was entirely unacceptable and we apologize to the Tucker Family. As soon as the food and beverage team became aware of the back-log in the kitchen, we informed the guest but it seems as this information came too late. Due to this setback, we provided them their room service order free of charge. We have also taken specific steps to prevent recurrences of room service order timeliness like this one. However, it is only fair to relay that these guests ordered room service on a total of eight occasions during their stay with us and only once did their order arrive later than committed.

Finally, our mini-bars are automated and will register charges corresponding to items that are removed and then not placed back in a relatively short period of time. We believe this was the case for these guests, so we have since removed the mini-bar charges from their bill.

Our hotel strives to provide excellent customer service and we are truly disappointed that we did not meet the Tucker Family’s expectations during their last stay with us. We hope the recovery steps taken were sufficient and would look forward to a future opportunity to provide them with the level of service they have every right to expect from Doubletree.