DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #169 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Warrenton
“BEWARE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We drove are 2013 Cadillac escalade and had valet parking for 55.00 per day we stayed 3 nights when are car was returned it had 437 miles extra and the rear cover for the tow bar was gone. The radio had been changed to music we would never listen. Called the hotel the next day and was hung up on 3 times when I bring up Valet parking. All I can say is BEWARE and the hotel is in need of updating and repair.

2 Thank nrc20707
bchoidtnyc, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear nrc20707,

I would like to first thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Times Square. As the Director of Front Office Operations after reading what you experienced in regards to the parking garage I am very concerned. This is extremley serious and I would hope you can find some time to talk to me in order to provide a little more detail being that I will be personally investigating this matter. Please know that I have already contacted the garage manager to inform them of what you have said in addition to notifying our Director of Security as this should be addressed as soon as possible. If you can spare some time to talk please call my direct line (212) 403-6337 or email me at alichtenbaum@dtnyc.com.

Andrew Lichtenbaum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,484)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hudson Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

First a positive (for most). You are right in the middle of things, across the street from the TKTS booth, Broadway theaters, many restaurants. Negative (for some), you are right in the middle of things... it is very very crowded on the streets al around the hotel entrance. The scaffolding makes it difficult at times to find, the get into the hotel.

Positive; the rooms are as big as I have ever encountered in NYC... suites like suburban suite hotels. A bedroom w flat screen TV, nice size bathroom and dresser. Outer room with love seat, chairs, flat screen and a refreshment area... Negative....with a mini.. mini fridge and a microwave that I think cost $19.95.. but better than not having. There was an in room safe, but it couldn't even hold a 14 inch laptop.

The hotel has an odd way to get in... You have the street level lobby, where they look to see if you have a reservation from a printed sheet.... and when re-entering, you basically flash your room key... From there, you take a elevator up to the 3rd floor lobby, where a small bar, the check in counter and concierge are located. There, you have the next bank of elevators (5 I believe - a positive)....

Negative - the breakfast buffet is $28... (Mine was comped as HH Upper level, but still cost a $5 gratuity)... does anyone REALLY pay $28 + tip for breakfast??? Positive, a well stocked and varied buffet, with lots of fresh cut fruit and hot choices.

as was mentioned, there is a lot of street noise.. with jack hammering into the night as street construction is often done a night in NYC.... I recommend an upper floor to distance yourself from the noise..

So, good things,m negative things.. but for me, the large rooms, location - for convenience, make it a choice if you are OK with the negatives.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank HudsonValleyGuy
bchoidtnyc, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear HudsonValleyGuy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to provide a 5 star service to all of our guests, and your satisfaction is important to us.

Dudley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here one night. Room was clean and comfortable. We ordered sandwich and drinks, which was over the top expensive but that's probably due to the location. There was only coffee in the room and I wanted tea. Had a complete drama to get a cup of tea before leaving the next morning, actually had to wait a full hour before I got "a cup of tea". Stayed in Hiltons in the past which have been a lot better than this one. Staff not very helpful at all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tracyspam

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your feedback. We always strive to provide a 5 star experience to all of our guests, and your satisfaction is important to us.

Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here using our hilton points. It was a 2 night stay and we were very happy to be here. We will definitely stay here again. We did have a problem at breakfast in which they could not find our name or room # but Hannah McCauley took charge and made sure we were seated and served while she looked into the problem. They even gave us complimentary breakfast both days. The location of the hotel could not be any better. Right out the front door and you are in the heart of Times Square.

Dear Scott70NY

Thank you for taking the time to write a 5 star review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations, and your satisfaction is important to us.

dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a wonderful experience staying at the DoubleTree Suites for 6 nights in May 2013. Prior to arriving I made a request for a Times Square room and even though the manager (Brian) could not guarantee me one, he did say he would do his best to find one for us & I was thankful that he replied to my request in a timely manner. When we checked into our room not only were we given a Times Square room - it was one of the best rooms we could have asked for! It was on the corner with the curved window for a perfect view of Times Square.

Being a Gold HHonors member we were given the full breakfast which was amazing and served until 11 am (11:30 on weekends). The breakfast was usually full with guests and sometimes there was a short wait but since it was complimentary that was no bother at all. Some of the Hilton properties are trying to cut this back (by giving $10 off coupons or just continental) but I was pleasantly surprised to have such a great breakfast to start our day. It was the only time we were able to eat in the restaurant and the service was great from our limited experience.

I only needed to talk with the front desk a couple of times for minor requests and every time they were very accommodating & helpful. We didn't use the concierge service so I cannot comment on their services. The security checked for a room key every time we returned to the hotel so that made me feel very comfortable about who they were letting into the hotel.

We had several hotels we were considering while traveling to New York (including other Hilton properties). I am sure another place would have been nice but I can't imagine a better experience than the one we had at the DoubleTree Suites in Times Square.

Room Tip: If you have any special request make sure and let the hotel know. They will do their best to fulfill...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Coryrile

Thank you for your patronage during your most recent visit to our property and being valued member of our Hilton Honors family. Your feedback on Trip Adviser is greatly appreciated. This helps us to measure the success of the hotel and service we provide to our valued guests.

We always strive to provide a 5 star experience to all of our guests and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest and look forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors. Please feel free to contact me directly via phone or email prior to your next visit so I may arrange best possible accommodations.

East Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you come to NYC to see the plays, the location in Times Square is fantastic. We were on the 10th floor, no traffic noise. We were upgraded to a suite, why I don't know but I loved it. Bed was great, everything was great. We know where to go to eat so that wasn't a problem. We walked to all of our plays and we're old. If we can do it, so can you!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Kathleen S

Sherman Oaks, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

If I had to describe this hotel in one word, it would be "dingy". But one word won't do, so let me elaborate.

The Doubletree Suites in Times Square is in a great location...that is, if you want to be in Times Square. If you are planning to go to the theater a lot, and want to be able to walk, then you might consider the location. There's a subway stop right outside the doors of the hotel, so you can quickly travel to another part of Manhattan. But the location can be a huge negative as well if you don't want to deal with the crowds, traffic, and noise.

We arrived via cab on a hot, humid day. We had a lot of stuff. And there we stood, on one of the busiest streets in the world, with all of our stuff. Where is the staff to help us? Nowhere to be found. I had to go find a luggage cart, and wheel it over to where my husband waited with all of our stuff and our little guy in his stroller. It was lots of fun to try to load the stuff onto the cart while a sea of humanity pushed passed us on Broadway. When we pushed the cart over to the door, the bellman showed up to help us. Nice...thanks for the help, buddy. Where were you 10 minutes ago?

We chose the hotel because we wanted a room with a separate sleeping area for our son. Most hotels in NYC have very small rooms, and we wanted a bit more space. We reserved a King room, and requested a connecting room for Grandma. I was told on the phone that, while it was just a request, it would most likely be honored. The catch was that we needed to reserve one King room and one Queen room...as those are the types that connect. Lo and behold, when we checked in, the connecting rooms were not available. The desk person was not sympathetic, and even went so far as to say "Well, our King rooms connect with Queen rooms, and that's not what you reserved." I told her we had booked the King/Queen combo; she reviewed the reservation, and realized that we had booked the Queen but that had been assigned a King room anyway. So, she tried to blame the problem on us, but the reality is that they simply chose not to honor our request. So much for Grandma babysitting our son from the comfort of her own suite.

Once we got up to the room, I couldn't have been more disappointed. You know that feeling when you walk into a hotel room and are afraid to sit down on or touch anything? That's the Doubletree. Dingy is being kind. Every single thing, from the furniture to the walls & ceilings, the bathroom tile (mold)...really, everything needed a huge scrub down. Old, tired, dirty. One of the pillowcases was so dirty that we had to call housekeeping to replace it. I cringed every time my son put his face near the furniture or curtains. Yuck, yuck, yuck. When housekeeping arrived with some extra towels and a new pillowcase, we asked to have the sofa bed made up. The staff member pointed to a piece of furniture in the room, and informed us that the pillows and blanket were inside there...and that we could make up the bed. Seriously...for several hundred dollars/night, they can't make up the bed for us? We asked if she could please do it, as we were on our way out...and so she did.

There was a note in our room saying we should keep the blinds closed from 8:00am - 5:00pm because they were doing work on the outside of the building. Great...love getting ready in the dark, dingy room. Although, one of the features of the room is that the blackout curtains don't actually make it all the way across the window, so all night, you can be comforted by the lights of Times Square flashing in your room. To go along with the light show, you can hear every honking horn, siren, and some sounds I couldn't identify. They couldn't be using a chain saw at midnight, could they? That's what it sounded like.

The sounds coming from outside were not nearly as annoying as the sounds coming from our bed. Before you let your mind wander down into the gutter, it's not what you're thinking. No, the sounds were simply the springs inside our wonderful Doubletree mattress. Seriously...when was the last time you slept on a SQUEAKY MATTRESS?! Every time I moved, it squeaked. It was one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on...the springs were just as painful as they were loud.

I can't decide if the squeaky bed was worse than the air conditioning unit or not. The air conditioner worked really well as far as keeping the room cool (cold, actually). But it was noisy and annoying. All night long..."click", wait 3 seconds, fan turns on and cools for 5 minutes or so, "click", fan turns off. Silence. Repeat. "Click", wait 3 seconds, fan for 5 minutes, "click", silence. All. Night. Long. It was torture.

So, in summary, it was horrible. The whole time I was there, I had to keep reminding myself that it was just for 2 nights, and I could make it through. I made it, but never again.

Room Tip: I suppose the higher up you are, the less street noise you will hear.
4 Thank LisaT91403
Dear LisaT91403

Thank you for your patronage during your most recent visit to our property. Your feedback on Trip Adviser is greatly appreciated. This helps us to measure the success of the hotel and service we provide to our valued guests.

We always strive to provide a 5 star experience to all of our guests and I personally apologize for not exceeding your expectations. The level of service you experience is extremely unacceptable and is not the norm at our property.

DoubleTree Guest Suites Times Square