Stayed here for 11 nights and could not have asked for a better hotel, room and location.
As we were staying in NY for 11 nights I wanted a hotel room which had a seperate sitting area rather than coming back to our room each night and having no where else to relax then to sit on the bed.
This room was perfect, one room had a nice lounge, desk area, a large TV and a small kitchenette with bar fridge and sink. A room safe was located within this area.
The bedroom had a large wardrobe, large chest of drawers and another TV. The storage was more than enough for us to unpack everything for our stay. The ensuite was also a good size with a large vanity. The shower was located over the bath.
We originally booked and paid for a King room with a view of Times Square, but when we got to our room it was located between two lift doors, which mean't we would hear the elevator dinging each time it arrived at our floor.
The hallway and lounge room was located directly behind the bank of elevator walls so we would hear the elevators whizzing up and down even if they did not stop at our floor.
We quickly realised this was not the room for us, so headed back down to reception to try to change.
The gentleman we saw (think his was the duty manager) explained that that location of the King bed room allowed for the best view of Times Square as the room looked down the entire length of Times Square rather than down onto it, however we asked to be moved to a room which was not located behind the elevator bank.
He said he could give us the next best room with a Times Square view which was a Queen bed room, and located 2 doors down from our original room allocation on the same floor. Apparently all the King bed rooms are located behind the elevator bank , with the entry door located between the 2 elevator doors.
The gentleman also wanted us to look at the room he was going to move us to to see if it was satisfactory for us, so he gave us the key to check it out first. It was perfect so we headed down to Reception to sort out the swapping over of room keys. Staying for 11 nights I could not bear being in between those elevator banks so I had a happy spring in my step and we headed off to our new room for the next 11 nights.
The queen bed room we were allocated (as you can see from the photos) looked directly to Times Square area where the TKTS office is. No big deal with downsizing to a queen bed as that is what we have at home.
The hotel was located next door to a subway line, but we seemed to always be walking down to 42st subway which connected alot more other lines and was not that far away.
It was alot of fun walking straight out of your hotel door into the foray of Times Square. Nothing like being in the middle of it.
I read that others hated being in the thick of things and until we stayed there I must admit I did contemplate a few times if we should change hotels after reading other posts.
But once we arrived my concerns were put to rest and I have to admit, to us it made the whole NY experience more exciting being in the middle of it all and even though there were alot of people on the footpaths they kept at a steady walking pace.
Across the road from the hotel was the TKTS box office if your after discounted shows, but at around 2pm (box office opened at 3) the lines started to form every day so we headed down to the TKTS office at South Street Seaport as recommended on NY forum as they opened in the morning (unlike the Times Square which opened at 3pm) there were no lines whatsoever and we got tickets for the show we wanted.
The warm chocolate chip cookies that reception gives out on your arrival can be requested at any time. I found myself asking Reception for a few cookies each time we went back to our room after a hectic day, so after 11 days we ate quite a few of those cookies. !!
We didn't eat or drink at the hotel's reception bar area as there are just too many options once you step outside your hotel.
We had complimentary breakfast each day as we are a Hilton gold member, however for the price we would have had to pay I would've eaten elsewhere on most occassions. Breakfast seemed a bit pricy for the offerings available and there was always a long queue at the omelette station.
All up, we loved this hotel and I did alot of research before booking this one.
We booked directly with the hotel at the AAA rate (no prepayment required) and if the room rate went down (I checked the rates fortnightly) I would cancel the original booking and rebook at the discounted rate....all without paying any deposit etc. In the end the Tripadvisor booking discount available via the link provided was by far the cheapest, ended up saving over $500.00 dollars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree Suites by Hilton - Times Square is the only all-suite hotel located on Broadway in the heart of Times Square excitement. The hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and is surrounded by Broadway theaters, New York City’s world-famous restaurants, shopping, museums and sightseeing. A TKTS booth, offering discount theater tickets, is directly across from the hotel. Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center, The Museum of Modern Art, Fifth Avenue shopping, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Carnegie Hall and Central Park are all within walking distance. The hotel is just 15 blocks from Jacob Javits Convention Center, Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, Port Authority Bus Terminal and convenient to Grand Central Terminal and all (3) area airports.All of the hotel’s 460 two-room suites feature living room with sofa bed plus private bedroom and bathroom, Sweet Dreams by DoubleTree Sleep Experience bedding and modern amenities including two flat-screen televisions, wet bar, refrigerator, microwave, MP3 connectivity and large work desk with ergonomic chair. Onsite hotel amenities include newly renovated lobby with new check-in area, new Concierge/Theater Ticket Desk, brand new Ad Lib lobby lounge, brand new Gingers Restaurant, morning Coffee Kiosk, room service, complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center and complimentary 24-hour business center. The hotel has 10,000 square feet of modern event space. The hotel is 100% non-smoking. Self & valet parking is available. The hotel allows pets, with a $50 pet surcharge per stay (under 60 lbs). 24-hour Security onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree New York City
- Doubletree Times Square
- Suites New York City
- New York Suites
- Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square Nyc
- Doubletree Hotel Times Square
- Doubletree Hotel New York City