“Excellent Location and Excellent Service”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square
Ranked #185 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after a 2 week cruise across the Atlantic. We had friends with us from Australia who had never been to New York before. We arrived in 2 taxis because we had a total of 22 bags between 3 couples. The Bellman was waiting on the street and took all bags with a smile and great attitude. My husband is a Hilton Diamond member and they not only treated us well, they treated our foreign friends as if they were also! The Internet was not an issue for us, as it was complementary. We were on the 36th floor. Wonderful views of Times Square. The only small complaint was the City construction outside. But, that's just NYC. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (8,409)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The ONLY reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars was because of some minor shortfalls in the bathroom and the value of the hotel restaurant, but we had an otherwise perfect stay here. The room was HUGE by Manhattan (especially Times Square) standards. Nice-sized bedroom w/ double beds. Large sitting area with desk, desk chair, small sleeper sofa, arm chair, and bar/kitchenette area. BIG bathroom w/ double vanities & full-sized shower. The room itself was nothing *fancy* (typical clean, efficient Doubletree suite) but to find one that clean, nice, & large in Manhattan was fabulous. The staff -- particularly housekeeping -- was extremely friendly & accomodating. The bar has a cool, hip vibe (& the bartender made a great dirty gin martini). We were PERFECTLY located in the *very center* of Times Square. Despite all of the noise & lights outside, once you got inside the lobby, it was as if it were vacuum-sealed. No sound from outside, no lights, etc. Just perfect! The ONLY issues in the bathroom were that there was no lighted magnifying mirror (which you expect in a hotel of this sort) or hooks around the sink for hand towels. Further, the hotel restaurant was not a good value -- very expensive for food that was mediocre. Otherwise an ideal stay in an ideal location. Would absolutely go back again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The higher floors are better. We faced east on the 25th floor & never heard a bit of street noi...
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I noticed a family with kids who had arrived having to wait for hours in the lounge for their room. The staff there was not that polite either - very poor for a Hilton Hotel!

This place is not one where you would stay to relax....you feel the hustle and bustle of the city the moment you get out of the lift. Also there are scaffoldings around the hotel as well.

It can be difficult to sleep with neon lights from Times Square flashing....and it is ironic to see the Xin Hua news sign flashing brighter than any American news agency right in the heart of New York!

Don't waste your money on an upgrade! You get your room later than others....and if you decide to get an inferior room earlier, the hotel will not refund you the difference.

The sofa bed is uncomfortable...esp if one plans to stay longer

1  Thank MelbS_LP
bchoidtnyc, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear MelbS_LP,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you had to wait hours for your room and you felt that our staff was not polite. This is very not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have shared your comment with our team. Upon guest arrival, we can check the guest in as long as we have room types available even it’s before the check in time. And we do not charge upgrade fee when the upgrade is not honored.

We always strive to exceed our guest’s expectations. We would really appreciate if you can provide more information on your stay, so we can rectify and continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to make your stay the best it can be.

Kind Regards,

Brian Choi
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hotel was great once again, we arrived on a late flight so were unable to get a high room for the 1st night, but we asked the next morning and were then moved to the 40th floor with a fantastic view of Times Square! This is a great hotel in a great location! Hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel between September 30, 2012 and October 3, 2012. I am of East Indian heritage and while that is not something that would usually be relevant, i feel that it was quite significant in this case.Prior to my arrival I telephoned to request an early check in. I was told that my request would be noted. I have no quarrel whatsoever with not being able to check in early an completely understand rules regarding checking in/out. However, when I arrived at the hotel after a very long flight at 7:45 a.m. I was told quite bluntly that there were no rooms available. The staff member was extremely cold and unwelcoming. I told the staff member that I was prepared to pay for a room but she retorted that we are all booked and I told you there are no available rooms. She told me they would call me when my room was ready or when a room became available for me to pay for. I then inquired whether there was somewhere I could have breakfast while I wait and she said very sharply, there is a restaurant on the 5th floor but you would have to pay- not that i expected not to pay!. So, I went to the 5th floor and there I met server whom I shall refer to as "Mr. X". He was simply fabulous. He chatted with me and inquired where I was from and in our conversation I told him I was vegan. Needless to say the breakfast menu had no vegan choices and the buffet was limited to potatoes and toast! But to my pleasant surprise, Mr. X presented me with a spinach dish which he had asked the chef to prepare for me. I was completely blown away by his service and his great service continued throughout my stay. As to my room, I should say that my bathroom was not outfitted with all of the items which a lively card said it should contain and there was the dirtiest bag i have ever seen in which the blow dryer was stored. But my real complaint about this hotel relates to an incident which took place on October 2, 2012. My flight was scheduled to leave at 1:00 am October 4th. My check out was therefore on October 3rd and I estimated that i would need to get to the airport by 10:00 p.m. At or around 8:45 a.m. I therefore inquired of the front desk of the same staff member who was there when I checked in whether I could get a late check out and she told me it may be possible for a 2:000 p.m. checkout. I had no quarrel with this at all. As the conference I was attending at this hotel was scheduled to end at 6:0 p.m. on October 3rd, and I needed somewhere to take a shower or even a nap before my flight I inquired whether I could just extend my stay and pay for an extra day [ even though I would really just need to stay for a few hours]. The words having barely left my mouth, the staff member even without checking her computer stated that the hotel was full and there was no available room. I asked her what were my options and she barely answered me repeating that the hotel was full and there was no available room. I kept checking but was told the same thing by this staff member. I returned around 2:30 and met another staff member who upon my inquiry immediately booked me for an extra night no questions asked. I can't help but feel very very strange about what happened and the way the first member of staff treated me. It has caused me concern and I think I would just go with my gut feeling on this one.

VJ

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank VISHMA j
bchoidtnyc, Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel New York City - Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear VISHMAJ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are very sorry that you encountered an unacceptable level of service from our front desk agent and bathroom cleanliness. We always strive to exceed our guest expectations, but unfortunately we fell short of our goals this time. The issues you mentioned have been shared with our team.

We deeply value your business, and we want to restore your confidence in our hotel. While there are many hotel choices in NYC, we sincerely hope you will consider staying with us again. Please contact us so we can discuss the matter further. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards,

Brian Choi
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is a busy crazy neighborhood and this hotel is perfectly located and provides a quiet relief from the busy times square action. We had a room on the 43rd floor which was the highest floor. We had no street noise and a decent view. At one point, our remote stopped working and I called in the problem, a new remote was at the door within 5 minutes. The only thing that keeps me from ranking them higher is the very mediocre restaurant. The comp'ed breakfast was to say the least boring and I would not have paid the $27.95 if it was not included as a Diamond member. Every day, it was the same... scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatos, .... exactly the same every day and nothing stellar, just not exciting. We stayed for 5 days and after the first two days, we just started eating elsewhere. Aside from the restaurant, this was a great stay. The hotel is within walking distance of the Rockefeller Center, Broadway shows, Radio City, etc., etc., it's near virtually everything!

2  Thank chichimom5
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for 4 nights from September 29th. It is a very nice hotel, we had a suite on floor 26 and so had an excellent view of Times Square. Basically all the previous reviews are ptty much bang on, it's a very nice hotel in the best location in New York City.

My one issue would be the Internet, it's one of the few hotels left that don't offer free wireless. They charge you an additional $12.95 for 24 hours, in this day and age and given it is the centre of New York City I found that surprising and disappointing. The moment you step outside the front door though you can instantly pick up and connect to 5 or 6 free wireless Internet connections that are available in times square.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple