“Great Value”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #245 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We just got back from one week in NY and loved this hotel. If you want marble bathrooms and lots of space, Cosmopolitan Hotel is not for you, but if you're looking for a conformatble bed and a clean bathroom with lots of hot water - all at an incredible low price (by NY standards) - by all means pick Cosmopolitan. The staff was very helpful and we got to go straight to our room, even though we got there at 9 a.m, plus there's a subway station literaly five feet from the door of the hotel and another one just around the corner. A Great Value if ever there was one.

• Stayed: March 2005
1  Thank acmb
Write a ReviewReviews (1,994)

A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 16, 2005

I had a lovely stay at the Cosmopolitan in 2001, not many months before 9/11. Its having being so close to the disaster scene (just a few blocks away), I don't know how affected it was by September 11th's events. However, when I stayed there, I thought I'd found a true NYC gem, at great prices. It's located in the heart of TriBeCa, surrounded by great restaurants and nightlife. Looking out my window onto Broadway at night, I had a view of outdoor cafes and trees lit up with sparkly lights, and (sad to say now) another view to the south of the World Trade Center, towering above the hotel, lights ablaze even at midnight.

The hotel has a VERY unassuming exterior, looking more like a nondescript office building circa 1900 -- which it probably was, at one point. But inside, the lobby is clean, well-painted, and with all of its retro charm in place -- gilded elevator doors, old crown moldings cleaned and restored, and a general air of small, cozy comfort. I found the rooms to be the same. Modest, but wholly comfortable. A double bed, a sitting area with two chairs, an armoire and two chests of drawers, and a very clean and roomy bathroom (by NY standards). And all at less than half the price of most other Manhattan hotels. A great neighborhood, a great hotel, a great bargain.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 15, 2005

While the single rooms (single double bed) are TINY, they are very well appointed and clean and quiet. Try to get an outside room (meaning it has a window) as the ones that face the air shaft don't have great ventilation. The staff is incredibly courteous and the location and price can't be beat. The double rooms (two double beds) are worth the extra dough, unless you're travelling alone. The subway (featuring the 1, 2, 3, and 9 lines and also the A and the E very close) is literally right outside the door, and the neighborhood features a lot of great restaurants and shopping. It's off the beaten tourist track as well, so you really get more of a sense of life in New York City. The bodega across the street is well stocked and very handy for snacks and noshes, 24/7.

• Stayed: October 2004
1  Thank Pidgerama
Reviewed March 10, 2005

This was a lovely hotel, the rooms were of a good size and we found the staff friendly. The only problem was we were on the 3rd floor and the window in our room was broken so we got a lot of the outside road noise which kept waking us up. I'm sure if you had a room on a higher floor or indeed a room with a sealed window it would be fine. As others have said there is a subway right outside and it's within walking distance of the WTC, Wall Street and Soho, little italy and china town. I would recommend the hotel but personally would not go back as I prefer to be out of the hustle and bustle a bit in the evenings and I prefered the Hotel Newton which was Upper Manhatten - there was nothing wrong at all with this hotel tho. Finally I would recommend if you fly into JFK getting the Air Train to Howard Beach for $5 and then getting a Metro card (7 days $22 - best value if staying 4+ nights) get the A Train to Chambers - the hotel is just down the block. Much cheaper than getting the shuttle bus or taxi if you don't mind public transport! Enjoy!!

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank ljg1006
Reviewed March 5, 2005

We stayed in a mini loft in the Cosmopolitan for 2 nights and it was excellent value! The location is perfect, right at the metro. Grab a coffee in the morning at Starbucks downstairs and off you go. In the evenings there are really nice restaurants just around the corner, which offer great food for very affordable prizes.
The mini loft is great when you are agile, the bed in the upper part of the room makes the room cozy and leaves you with enough space in the lower part of the room to get ready for a day in NYC.
I would definitely come again. The receptionists where extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2004
6  Thank batti78
A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 27, 2005

Having never traveled to New York, I didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by our choice.
I read reviews here on Trip advisor and was happy with other reviews.
We are in our early 30's and this was a good spot to get around to Bars in SOHO, and dinner Spots.
The room was nice and clean, we had a Loft Room 211. I would advise to not wear socks on the stairs to your bed, as they are a little steep.
My husband is 6'-4" and was fine with the lowered ceiling--you are laying down up there anyway-it had a TV above as well as downstairs.
Blow dryers in the bathroom, do not have heater/air on with TV's and try to blow dry--power will go out in the room! But they were there in no time to switch it back on for us!
Our room Faced Chamber Street...
Nice to have the Starbucks below, 24 Hour Markert across the street, a Pharmacy, Ribs, Italian and the Subway right outside the Hotel.
3 blocks from the WTC & Century 21 shopping, 10 minute walk to Canal for Bargain Shopping!
We will say here again for sure, as it was a GREAT location and FANTASTIC rates!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 20, 2005

My room was clean. But the hotel hallways smelled awful and made me feel sick to my stomach. The hotel has NO AMENITIES what so ever. I needed to go to a corner convenience store at 5 am because the hotel doesn't have a vending machine of any kind. I don't really think the neighborhood was that great either. There didn't seem to be a lot of bars nearby to visit. I went to other neighborhoods to go out.
I would not stay there again.

3  Thank andiec2001