“Fantastic Staff”

Ranked #241 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fantastic Staff”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed at the Cosmopolitan for 5 nights last week while in NY for business. The staff were fantastic - from the time I got there until I left, they were polite, friendly, and anxious to help and make sure I was happy. Their service rivaled 5 star hotels.
With respect to the hotel itself, it was very clean. However, the rooms were very small and spartan. The room was either too cold or suffocatingly hot. The tub did not drain well (even after they tried to fix it), and I got the pleasure of taking a cold shower one morning. And there is an air freshener smell almost constantly. But again, the staff were wonderful, and did all they could to try to address my issues.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior are quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Penn B,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that your room was very clean and that our staff provided a five star level of service. Please note that in 2014 we will be upgrading the hotel which will include a central air system. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, please stay in touch with us through our website and social media so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Slovak first
Ocean Grove, New Jersey
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the hotel a week ago for our holiday season getaway. The hotel is amazing convenient as far as location. The subway is downstairs and you can get anywhere...a really great plus! No coffee pot in room but a starbuck's downstairs. The real problem was a sickly sweet smell in the room. Not sure if it was cleaning supplies or something sprayed, but it was annoying for me. I have allergies and I slept with the window open even tho it was very cold outside. I told the front desk the next morning about the smell and she said she would tell "them not to spray"... but when we returned that afternoon, the smell was still there and very annoying. It is very clean, yes, very small, no problem with that, but the smell would prevent me from returning. I had to keep the windows open in degree weather all the time and it still didn't help.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear peggy s,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of having both the subway and and Starbucks right on our corner. Please note that we will be upgrading the hotel in 2014. We hope you will return, please follow us on social media and through our website so we can keep you posted.

Bled, Slovenia
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I've been coming to New York with my family for years and we were looking for a hotel we would like to return to every year. This year I decided for Cosmopolitan and we liked it a lot! We asked for a quieter room so they've put us on the 7th floor and there was no noise at all! The staff was very nice, the room super clean and the location just superb! There's great shopping all around in Tribeca and SoHo and at this price the Cosmopolitan is just a superb place to stay. The only downside is the size of the room, as it is tiny and the super slow elevator. I would recommend everyone to book this hotel if you want a reasonably priced, clean and well serviced hotel to stay at.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear SaraK007,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your room was very clean, our staff was helpful and friendly, and that you enjoyed the great shopping that can be enjoyed in Soho and Tribeca. As part of the planned upgrades to the hotel in 2014, we will be installing an additional elevator. We hope to see you back here soon, please follow us on social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.

New York City, New York
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I've actually stayed at the same hotel a few months ago. It was perfectly fine and I gave it a good review (on Expedia)

Last time, I was on a lower level. It was summer time. There was window a/c unit. It's ok when room is cooled and switched off before sleep.

However, this time around, I was placed on the top level. Much bigger room. It looks all fine until I switched on the desk lamp. Bright white temperature fluorescent/energy saving bulb. When the entire room's decor and color scheme is in off-white/beige/brown and that the furniture is your everyday, average quality - the light just made the room look appalling. Obviously, the hotel was furnished quite some time ago and it never planned to have this type of lighting.

There's the ceiling lamp/fan. That is incandescent but it's only because that the type of base only allows incandescent. Besides, it's completely different feel when it's overhead light. So, I went to get a light bulb myself and changed the desk lamp. Left it there for the management to see the difference.

It's below 30 degrees Fahrenheit this time staying here. There was no heat whatsoever. The first night I suck it up. The second, I addressed to front desk. They said they'll take a look and the third day - I used the last resort of the hairdryer to heat up the room. Strangely enough too is that you can't close the window that's with the window a/c unit and that I've noticed on exterior walls is that not every room does or does not have a window a/c unit. How strange.

Beware is that this time around, I've noticed that a night club that's down 2-3 streets started to have guys wearing a big sign and passing out flyers - right around the corner of the hotel. As early as 9:00AM and as late as 2:30AM in the wee hours of the morning. I just feel terribly bad for the guys who have to stand there in the cold for the hours...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Arnold W M
St. Pete Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Upon check-in I was offered a loft room instead of the standard I had booked, and I figured what the hell...it was a great experience to have, but I'm not sure I would recommend it for everyone. The Cosmopolitan is clean, quiet and comfortable. Not ritzy or trendy but hard to beat for the price, and while it is out in Tribeca, it is also easily commutable because it's right on top of the Chambers St. subway station. I wouldn't hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BeachyBumsRWe
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear BeachyBumsRWe,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found the hotel to be clean, quiet and comfortable and that the convenience of having the subway right on our corner was a benefit of our location. We hope to have you stay with us again soon, please stay in touch us through our website and social media.

Ivrea, Italy
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Nice location in Tribeca for this hotel. very quiet and safe location, absolutely close to the subway station and 5 minutes walks far from world trade center. The room was very clean and nice furnished. The view could not be the best, since some room are directed to other buildings. staff very helpful. One elevator for the whole hotel could very disappointing sometimes, because the waiting time could be very long. Internet not always available. To wrap up i suggest to stay in this hotel for your trip in new york, it has always been a pleasure come back to my room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Luca G
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Luca G.,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that our staff was friendly and helpful, our location convenient, and that you were pleased with your room. Please note that as part of our planned upgrades we will be installing a second elevator. We hope to see you again in the future, please stay in touch with us through our website and social media so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am a fan of boutique hotels and after staying in quite a few over the years I absolutely fell in love with The Cosmopolitan. My family goes to nyc frequently and we always stay here. The service is very, very good. We love beign away from the bustle of uptown. Tribeca is a great area. It's clean, comfortable and the rooms are perfect for a good nights sleep. I never sleep well in hotels but I have never had a bad nights sleep here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lovinlife700
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Lovinlife700,
Thank you very much for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you are repeat guests of ours who appreciate the level of service we provide, the comfort of our rooms and the great neighborhood of TriBeCa. We look forward to your return, please stay in touch with us through our website and social media so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.