“We grew to like it”

Ranked #240 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
“We grew to like it”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

The hotel didn't endear itself to us when we first arrived. The entrace and lobby seem dark and with the road works outside, it wasn't welcoming and the rooms are not large. However, that was just surface veneer.

It's lovely and warm and it was fu-reeezing outside). The housekeeping staff keep it scrupulously clean. The beds are extremely comfortable. The desk staff are friendly and helpful. The subway is right outside so New York is your oyster. There are great bars and restuarants all around For tourists like us, it was a reasonable price and in fact, ideal for visiting NYC.

It can be noisy at night but while we noticed this when we first arrived, we didn't by the end of our visit.

1 Thank Fresh0range
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear FreshOrange,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your room was scrupulously clean, our staff was friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed the convenience of our location as well as the local restaurants. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future. Please stay in touch with us by subscribing to our website and by following us on social media so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Slovak first
Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I'm an NPC bodybuilding competitor and this past Nov. 16th, I had a Championship at the Tribeca PA Center. I stayed at the Cosmo Tribeca, as it was within walking distance and looked nice online. Immediately and from the booking / reservation process, this entire involvement was a disaster. It took 8 hours to book and pay for the room and each associate had a different story as to why. Upon checking in, my room phone did not work and neither did the TV remote. The room was barely larger than a double bed. There was no room for my bag and I had to sleep with it on the bed. Also Upon checking in, I was charged $50 per night, "incidental fees," which I was told explicitly, would credit / release back, "immediately upon checking out" Today, marks 7 days since I've checked out and not only did the, "authorization holds" NOT credit back, but they were collected by the Hotel. I've been battling all week to get my money back and every 8 hrs, I get a different story from the Cosmo. Today I declared the charges as Fraud and now have to go thru this long, drawn out ordeal of waiting for that money to be returned which was stolen by the hotel. Bottom line, the Cosmopolitan is an awful, awful, awful hotel that lies, steals and lies some more. I'd rather sleep in my car next time. EVERY other NYC Hotel is a much better choice.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear BigKev79,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your reservation was a third party booking and therefore did take a bit longer to confirm. Please note that it is a standard hotel policy to take an authorization on a credit card to cover any incidental charges. This is an authorization and not a charge. Based on the individual bank, it can take anywhere from 24 hours up to ten days before the hold in this amount is released. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed November 20, 2013

After reading mixed reviews of this hotel, we still decided to make our reservations for our fourth trip to New York here. We stayed two nights at first, and then another four nights after a trip to Washington DC.

First of all, I sent an e-mail to the hotel requesting that we could leave our bags there while in DC.
I heard nothing from them before I resent the e-mail one week later. They were happy to store our luggage, free of charge. We were very happy that they could provide this service.
Later we also sent an e-mail requesting that they help us with tickets to the 9/11 memorial site, as they advertise this on their web-page. We never recieved a reply.

We arrived at the hotel very late our first night, and were met by a lovely night clerk. He told us that he had a nice and spacious room for us. Well... The room was not very spaciuos, but hey... It is New York, we did not expect a very big room at the rate we paid.
The room had two double beds, but as we were three guests in the room we needed three duvets and also three sets of towels. We asked the front desk, and quickly recieved an extra duvet. However, it was without anybed sheets. As we were extremly tired from our long journey, we could not be bothered with waiting for the sheets, and hoped that we would get sheets from housekeeping the following day (we didn't).

When returning from our trip to DC, we got a different room than the first night and quickly understood what the nght clerk ment when he told us our last room was spacious. This room was extremely tiny! We could barely fit three people and our bags in the room. We had to climb over our bags in order to get in and out of bed. The room booked was a "deluxe double double". It makes me wonder how small a standard double room is.

Anyways, the rooms we tiny, but very clean. Bathrooms were also very small. The windows in the rooms are very small, making the rooms look quite dark. And the bathrooms were also very, very small.
We stayed on the 7th floor, and we heard quite a lot of street noise. But this is a big city, so there will always be some noise.
I read that a lot of people have complained about the airconditioning being noisy as well, and I can confirm that it was extremely noisy. I am happy we weren't there in a season when AC is needed.

The location of the hotel is great, just a short walk to Brooklyn Bridge, and a subway station just outside the hotel.
I was also happy with the fact that the hotel offers free Wi-fi.
Staff was very helpful when we needed directions etc, and the housekeeping staff were also polite and smiling :)

My experience with this hotel was ok, and nothing more. On my next trip to New York, I will not be choosing the Cosmopolitan.

I must say my last experience with this hotel was a bit dissapionting. I forgot my scarf at the front desk when leaving, and called the hotel from the airport. They offered to send it by taxi to the airport, but as I would not have had time to get it. So I agreed with the front desk staff that I would send them an e-mail when returning home, and ask them to send the scarf by mail.
I did, and asked them to send me an estimate og what it would cost to send the scarf to Norway. I was told that it would cost approximately 100 dollars, as they would ship it by UPS or FedEx.
I wrote back and told them that i felt this was a bit steep, as it was only a small scarf that weighd practically nothing, and asked if it was possible to have it shipped by normal mail. It took almost a week before I recieved a reply after reminding them of my questions.
The reply was that they could only ship via UPS or FedEx as they are the only two courier services that could bill me directly.
I must say I am a bit disapointed that it is not possible to send a scarf via mail.
I would understand if it was something big and heavy, but this is just a scarft that weighs practicaly nothing. I work in a hotel myself, and know that there are expences connected to sending forgotten items to guests, and I would happy to pay the shipment costs for sending it by normal mail.
This mail was sent on November 11th. This review is written on November 20th, I still have not recieved any reply from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Camcami
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Camcami,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that your room was very clean, our staff was friendly and helpful and that you enjoyed our location and the nearby sightseeing. We sincerely apologize for having not responded to your last email, somehow we did not receive it. Our policy is to utilize UPS or Fedex for returning Lost and Found items for security reasons. We will be sending your scarf back to you as soon as possible, and are very sorry for the inconvenience. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future, please contact me directly so I can make the reservation for you.

Cincinnati
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Loved this hotel! I had a meeting in Jersey City at a hotel with a more pricey meeting rate for those who stayed overnight at the meeting hotel. Some research led me to the Cosmopolitan and a much better rate. I was steps away from the PATH station, and a $2.50 fare and 10-minute (total walk and train ride) commute to my meeting. Loved the Cosmopolitan's location and its proximity to the World Trade Center and a subway station steps from the hotel. The staff was friendly, the room was NYC-sized appropriate and it was clean and quiet.

I chose a loft room and wish I would have looked at some of the traveler photos prior to choosing the room style. In the long run, the loft was a fun adventure traveling by myself. If I travel with my family in the future, I will choose a more traditional room. When I arrived a little weary the first night, I was a bit more cynical about the steps, but grew to enjoy it. I'm just glad I have somewhat good mobility and am not an inch taller than the 5' 7" I am because my head did bump the ceiling:)

Room Tip: Look at the traveler photos of the lofts to make sure you can climb the steps to your room; consider...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jenish95
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear jenish95,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found our staff to be friendly, your room to be clean and quiet, and our location to be very convenient for your needs. We look forward to your return, please stay in touch with us by following us on social media and through social media.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We just came from a 7 night stay at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and we were very impressed. We weren't sure about staying so far down the island, but we are so glad we did. Midtown is crazy busy and it was so nice to come back to a more quite neighbourhood after a busy day of sightseeing. Plus the hotel is so close to some great districts like Soho, the Village, Noho & Meat Packing. While the room was a little on the small side, it was clean, comfortable and exactly what we needed in NYC. The staff were all very helpful and there wasn't ever an issue when we had a request. The best part about the hotel is it is right on top of the Subway on the 1,2,3 line. So a subway ride to midtown literally took about 10 mins. Then when you came back from exploring, you didn't have to walk back from the subway station, it was right there!! Plus there is a starbucks directly below you. There was a few things which prevented a 5 star review
* On one night, the water was turned off due to construction. We were only alerted of this the night before and it was a big disadvantage as we didn't get back to our room until after the water had been shut off. This meant no shower for us. Just an inconvenience when you are paying a premium each night to stay in a NYC hotel.
* You have to constantly reconnect all your devices to the wifi, which might sound trivial, but can be quite annoying when it drops out and you have to sign in.
* I know they can't do anything about it, but the construction outside is really noisy! We sleep through anything so it didn't bother us, but just be aware that it is quite noisy.

So all in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a boutique hotel in a not to busy part of town!

Dear Rob B,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are glad to hear that your room was clean and comfortable, our staff was friendly, and that you enjoyed staying downtown. We look forward to your next visit, please stay in touch with us through social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming exclusive offers.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Business trip. Stayed evening of Nov. 5.

Small dark lobby --- no place to sit; lots of street noise; Unable to control temperature in room --- could not turn heat off; Had to run air conditioner, but it was noisy and didn't work that well. So, no sleep that evening.
Good location; Free pass to WTC 9/11 site; Friendly efficient staff; low cost.

You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. And, make sure you get a room where you can control the heat...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at Cosmopolitan Hotel - Tribeca, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Debra M,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful, and our location to be convenient. Beginning next year we will be installing a central air system as part of our renovations. For our out of town guests who are not used to the sounds of New York City, we do have quiet rooms in the back of the hotel. We hope you will return in the future, please contact me directly so I can make your reservation.

Auckland
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We recently had five days in New York to do Chrismas shopping. We got a great last minute deal on venere.com at the Cosmopolitan. The hotel is in a great location in Tribeca, the 1,2,3 subway stop is literally outside the door of the hotel and easy to get up to midtown and the West Village. The room was small but had everything we needed and was clean.

The big issue for us was noise. We had a room facing Chambers St on the top floor. There was a cosniderable traffic noise. We live on a main road in central London so are fairly accustomed to hustle and bustle. Even with ear plugs we both had trouble sleeping with the noise from the street below, although to be fair there were also road works going on at the time which is outside the hotel's control.

During our stay there was a planned water outage from 21:00 to 06:00. We arrived back at the hotel late that evening so no shower and brushing teeth with a bottle of water. The staff were prepared with bottled water but it would have been good to have been told when we booked / checked in rather than the evening before.

There are lots of breakfast options in the area. Kitchenette on Chambers St is particularly good. On weekday mornings they have 10 items for under $10 on their breakfast menu with coffee and a glass of orange juice. The Starbucks nextdoor to the hotel also do a yummy oatmeal for only $2.50 if you are on a budget / diet!

The nearest car rental is Hertz on Canal St (about a 10 minute walk uptown) if you are planning to hire a car. They are in a parking lot with a machine where you skype a customer services rep, very cool and efficient system.

1 Thank walb
Dear walb,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us, We are happy to hear that you found this to be an excellent location, and that your room was very clean. Please note we do have rooms that face the back of the hotel and are quiet. We also want to thank you for the excellent neighborhood tips and recommendations. Please follow us on social media and subscribe to our website so we can keep you informed of future special rates and promotions.