“Always a nice comeback”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #245 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The Cosmo never disappoints. Clean rooms, firm beds, very friendly staff, ideal location in the heart of one of the nicest Manhattan neighborhoods yet minutes away from Time Square via subway. The only glitch is the noisy AC. They're renovating and expanding the hotel, so I'm sure they'll take care of it. I forgot to say that it's one of the few hotels in NYC where you can accommodate 5 in a room.

Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear vate69,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We appreciate you mentioning the comfort of your room and the convenience of our location. You are correct, we will be renovating and upgrading the entire hotel. Please stay in touch with us through social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming promotional offers. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Director of Sales

Write a ReviewReviews (1,994)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I spent a couple days at the Cosmopolitan Hotel this past June (this was I think my sixth or seventh visit).
The location is really perfect for me, 1 2 3 subway just outside.
The rooms are still very clean and have been updated, the staff (Marcella, Victor, Jaime) still very nice. Rates can't be beat ! Be warned there is construction going on at the intersection on W. Broadway and Chambers street but you can ask for a room in the back or bring earplugs like I did.
One thing I always look forward to when going to NYC is having breakfast and as many meals as possible at the Cosmo Cafe downstairs. I tried many of the neighborhood restaurants over the years and keep coming back to the cafe: excellent fresh seasonal food in a very charming atmosphere (love seeing the little changes in the decor between two visits !) terrific value for money too.

• Stayed: June 2013
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Rosali0510,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor in regard to your stay with us this past June. We are happy to hear that you are one of our loyal repeat guests, and that you had the opportunity to experience the upgrades to the hotel. We are also glad to hear that our service was very good and that you enjoy dining in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. Please note that the construction outside has stopped. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future, please stay in touch with us through social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming promotional offers.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in march, The room was nice. Had all we needed, air con, beds, tv and a little safe. We requested a quiet room as we ere travelling with our daughter. They gave us one at the end of a corridor on the 7th floor so no noise from street, no passing elevator nice. Ok we faced a brick wall but We slept like babies. There is no restaurant in this hotel so What I do recommend is going to Zuckers bagel shop across the road it was fab for breakfast. The subway was just under the hotel so it was great for quick access to the city and the staff at front desk were great about giving directions and advice. Good location!

Room Tip: request a quiet room at one of the higher floors so you get no traffic noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nichola D
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Nichola D,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us this past March. We are glad to hear that our staff was very helpful and that you enjoyed the convenience of our location. We do have the Cosmopolitan Restaurant next door to the hotel however the neighborhood offers a variety of dining options and we are happy you had a chance to try Zuckers. We hope you will stay with us again, please stay in touch through social media and our website so we can let you know of our latest promotional offers.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca is a godd find. The location is excellent, the subway is just at the door of the hotel, the neighborhood is nice and you can find lots of restaurants. The Financial District is just some steps away. The personnel is really good and helpful. The rooms are small but they have everything you need and the prices are quite good considering the rates in NY.
The only problem is the construction outside!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pilarin1954

Dear Pilarin 1954,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, the nearby restaurants and the level of service provided by our staff. Please stay in touch with us so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers and packages by subscribing to our website and by following us on social media. We look forward to you staying with us again the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visit the city twice per year for vacation. We have stayed all over the city because we like to experience different areas and different hotels. We have never had to check out of a hotel before...Until this year. Where to begin... first off the room was not ready for check in at 3:00 so we had several others were waiting in the lobby. It is common knowledge that NYC rooms are small. This was the size of a hamster cage. We opened the door to the room and couldn't believe how small it was. The bed had to be placed against the wall so you could not walk around the bed. There was no coffee maker, no ironing board etc... probably because there was NO room. While standing in the bath tub, I could touch the toilet and sink at the same time. That is how small the bathroom is. Now after walking all day there is nothing I like more than to sit in a nice hot tub lean back and relax... Nope not here. Not only is the tub so small that I couldn't stretch my legs out (I'm only 5'4) but the moron who installed the tub put the water faucet at one end and the drain with the lever at the other. No leaning back in those tubs. No coffee maker, no ironing board... ugh. The hotel is supposed to be non-smoking. This is important because I have asthma so imagine my surprise when I walked out into the hall and smelled smoke strong. I talked to the front desk who said they didn't think so but would check. Fair enough. When we finally got our room, we went upstairs to lie down for a little while before going to dinner. Not only was the bed so flimsy that when one of us moved it felt like the bed would fall but the linens smelled odd. Housekeeping was still not finished cleaning and there was so much noise we could not sleep. This was the case all night because the walls are paper thin. So thin that the next morning I thought someone was in our shower but much to my surprise it was someone showering in the next room. So clear we could hear her cough. I went down stairs to speak with the management and on the way down, there was more cigarette smoke in the hallway. In addition, they only have one elevator which is so slow that a guest got on the elevator prior to us and by the time the elevator got back up, she had gotten coffee and was on it again. When I spoke with the front desk about the smoke again they replied again, we will check it out. At this point I called Hotels.com and requested a different hotel. We changed to the Tribeca blu and were thrilled we did. Same price and beautiful hotel and the staff was amazing.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear TiaNFl,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are sorry that you did not take us up on our offer to change rooms as we have a variety of room types and layouts. The hotel is 100% non-smoking, and we do apologize if someone had broken the rules. We take every measure to enforce this policy. As acknowledgement of the inconvenience you experienced, we did waive the Hotels.com early checkout fee. We hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future, please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed for a 5th time at the Cosmo.
Another very comfortable stay, efficient check in meant we were in our room shortly after arriving which was just what we needed after a long day travelling from the UK. Our room on the 5th floor was very comfortable as I expected, a decent size, smallish bathroom but big enough for what we need on holiday. Very clean and kept clean by housekeeping the whole stay. The bed was just right, firm enough with two lovely pillows. Excellent air-con, which was essential as we landed as a heatwave started, a bit too noisy to leave on to sleep but the ceiling fan in the room helped through the night. Free WiFi is offered which is so useful and if you don't have your own laptop/ i-pad, whatever there are two computers guests can use in the lobby; you can also print too, great for tickets and boarding passes.

I love the neighbourhood, lovely for walking around, Duane Park is my new favourite place :) so many good places to eat close by and the massive Whole Foods a couple of blocks away. With the subway on both corners of the Chambers St block the hotel stands on it's easy to get anywhere you want to be. Great price, for a great hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear big-blue-eyes,
Thank you for posting a thorough review of your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your mention of the convenience of the location, the quality nearby food establishments and parks, our amenities, and the comfort of your room. We are happy to hear that it was your fifth stay here. Please stay in touch by subscribing to our website and by folllowing us on social media, we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I have never stayed in a boutique hotel. My stay for the weekend was $379 for two nights! Great price. My room was very clean and the be was comfortable! It is small bit it is perfect for two and it is New York. I would stay here again. I never took the subway before and I tried for the first time - there is a station right out our door. It was so easy!!!! Couldn't
Believe it. What a nice weekend. In addition, they gave me a two o'clock check out. The hotel also got me four passes to 9/11 memorial. I will be back

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Holly M
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Holly M,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us, and that you found our location to be convenient. We are also glad to hear that you tried the New York City subway system for the first time and that you were pleased with your experience. We hope to see you back here in the near future, stay in touch with us so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.