“Cheap, safe and good location...you get what you pay for”

The Frederick Hotel
Ranked #242 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed in a small room on one of the higher floors. Was a bit noisy, but it's New York. Front desk was rude at times depending on the shift. Unhelpful all the time. Room smelled like bug spray. Bed was suspicious. Relatively clean, but the minimum a hotel should be is clean whatever the price. If you don't care about the room and you're not spending time there the it's fine. However, don't use this room while on business. Internet was bad and you couldn't feel relaxed there.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear WacoWoody,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. Please note that in the year that has passed since you were here we have upgraded the hotel and have raised our level of service significantly. We are pleased to say that we never had a bed bug issue and we have a thorough maintenance program in place. The rooms are not sprayed for bedbugs. We hope that you will return so that you can experience the improvements and changes, please contact me directly so I can make a reservation for you.

Director of Sales

Write a ReviewReviews (2,012)

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 days, 3 nights at this hotel. The rooms are TINY, but very clean and excellent value. For the price you pay, the Cosmopolitan is very good. Great location, tons of bars and restaurants nearby. The staff were very nice. The downsides have mostly been mentioned - because the rooms are so small, you hear all the noise in the hallways. The street noise didn't bother us too much. The one elevator was not too big of a bother either. A solid, inexpensive choice!

1  Thank murphy713
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear murphy713,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your found your room to be very clean, our staff to be friendly and the location excellent. Please note that we have a variety of room types and sizes and we hope on your next stay with us you will try another layout. Please feel free to contact me directly to make a future reservation.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed here 4 nights and loved it! Excellent location with subway, shops, restaurants and bars just around the corner. Rooms were small but with great beds and nice temperature. Nice and helpful staff. Two sets of stairs but only one elevator so if you already walked too much or get a room in a higher floor- be prepared to wait a while for the elevator. At one time we run out of hot water in the shower but a while later it was working again.
We would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear liima,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the location and that our staff was friendly and helpful. Part of our renovation plans include installing a second elevator. We hope you will return soon, please stay in touch with us through our website and social media.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We have only great things to say about this hotel - great location, great bed, great shower; we had a king size bed that was very comfortable. The room was extremely clean. Our only issue was that we were on the second floor and there was construction going on right outside our window; no fault of the hotel, but something to pay attention to if you are sensitive to that kind of thing and looking to sleep in. We were up early both days so it didn't bother us too much. Didn't try the cafe downstairs, but Zuckers bagels is just across W Broadway on Chambers - delicious NY bagel shop! Highly recommend this extraordinarily reasonably priced hotel. Super convenient location.

• Stayed: February 2013
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear kitegoddess,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel as well as Zuckers which has excellent food and is right across the street. Please let us know when you will be returning and we will block you a room facing away from the front as those rooms are very quiet.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I made a day of registration at the Cosmopolitan New York. The hotels around this hotel are nowhere near comparable in price. I wasn't expecting very much. What I found was a very clean very small boutique hotel with no frills. I had meetings for work in both Brooklyn and Tribeca. This location couldn't be beat. I was probably the only American staying in the hotel. This made for interesting and polite conversation in the lobbies and on the elevator. Very nice staff very very clean rooms but very very small. I literally stayed in a shoebox with a window facing into a courtyard. But it was cheap, convenient and international. Very New York City.

• Stayed: January 2013
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Gemmommy,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that your room was very clean, our staff friendly, and the location excellent. We hope that you will return, please check on the availability of an upgrade as we have a variety of room layouts.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I am from ohio and this was my first visit to New York, I was quite afraid because I traveled alone. I got to the hotel and the staff was very friendly and warm. I loved my room. Even though the rooms are small, that was expected. I was able to walk to ground zero and other sites. I was able to go to the local neighborhood store and grab a juice at 2am. There is a Cafe that has wonderful food in the Hotel. The Cosmopolitan Hotel. The owner was hands on and very, very friendly. He (Craig), made me feel right at home, In fact I was so happy staying there and eating in the cafe, I really didn't want to leave for the purpose I was there for. The price of the hotel and the cafe was very resonably price. I will certainly stay there again. My only complaint is that I wish they did have better room amenities, coffee maker, etc. but there is room service.

Room Tip: I was on the sixth floor and had a great view, rm 616. I don't know what side that was on.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Deegee72,
Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that our staff was friendly and that you found our location to be very convenient for all that you wanted to do and see. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed dining at our Cosmopolitan Cafe. Please follow us through social media and on our website so we can keep you informed of upcoming packages and special offers. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had a great experience staying here. My family and I all stayed here in 3 seperate suites.The customer service was excellent! They upgraded my room because it was my birthday and personalized it with a birthday card and a bottle of wine. Check in/out was super fast and easy, and the beds were excellent quality. The rooms were a tad warm but overall a great experience. The cafe serves excellent food as well and is very handy for an early morning breakfast.

Thanks Barbara, Jenny, and Josh!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Rachelle S, Director of Sales at The Frederick Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Tania981,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. We are very happy to hear that you received excellent service and personalized attention. We hope you will be back in the near future to celebrate with us again. Please follow us in social media and by subscribing to our website so we can keep you informed of our upcoming special offers.