Salisbury Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$195
$172
  • Fitness center
The Bentley Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$202
  • Room Service
InterContinental New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$336
$281
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Parker New York(New York City)
$415
$403
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Royalton Park Avenue(New York City)
$295
$234
Official Site
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$134
$689
$617
  • Pool
Millennium Hilton New York Downtown(New York City)(Great Value!)
$228
$197
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$265
$239
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$168
$140
Park Central
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
4,040 results
All reviewscarnegie hallcentral parkgreat locationnew yorktimes squarethe russian tea roomcontinental breakfasttwo double bedsone bedroom suitean older hotellarge bedroomfridge and microwavebagelstwo blockswalk in closetcoffee makerkitchen area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel through a bus trip arranged through my work, so the rate I paid was substantially less that the advertised price.
I was happy with what I paid and felt it was appropriate for what we received.
Room was quite large, four closets alone.
Older hotel, showing a little ware, but clean.
We had 3 people in our room, we had two double beds and a fold out couch,
I think the fold out couch was original to the hotel, there is just no way anyone would be able to sleep on it, springs popping up, as thin as a Yoga mat.
not overly impressed by the included continental breakfast, no eggs, bacon, or sausage, really just an assortment of breads, buns, muffins, fruit, could make your own pancake.
I.ve had better at an HI.
No free WiFi, really! in this day and age! they are still charging for it!
Location was nice, staff was pleasant and helpful, I couldn't say I would stay here at their regular $ rate though, I think I'd rather stay in Jersey and take the shuttle in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank andekim
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Have stayed at the Salisbury on and off for over 20 years. Great location--2 blocks from Central Park/5th Avenue shopping; 10 minute walk to Times Square; right next door to a good pizza and pasta restaurant. Very good price (for NYC, anyway)--recent stay over 4th of July weekend for under $200 per night (including all taxes). Nothing fancy, no room service, etc., could with some updates and renovation could be a very nice boutique hotel--but the rooms were large and clean, the beds comfortable, the A/C worked fine, had a flat screen TV. Kudos to the staff--wanted to watch the Wimbledon final on Sunday a.m., but the channel it was on was "frozen" on the TV--the front desk sent someone up immediately, he went down to the TV/internet control room and was able to correct things. One peeve--they have notices up "inviting" you to a continental breakfast, which say that vouchers will be provide each morning--but on the voucher form it says that there will be a $10 charge for each adult. If you don't use it you don't get charged, but using words like "invite" and "voucher" imply, at least to me, that it would be complimentary. Better to go to one of the restaurants at the corner and get a delciious bagel, juice and a pastry for half the price! Overall, if if you want a clean, comfortable place to stay at a good location and don't need the frills and extras of a name brand hotel, the Salisbury is a very good option.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This affordable older hotel is a great place to explore New York City from. Located directly across the street from Carnegie Hall it's just a block from Central Park and within walking distance of many Broadway theaters. While not modern the rooms are spacious with several easy chairs two closets for your clothes and a minifridge and microwave. The hotel is a hotspot for international tourists and we met people from Britain, Germany and Australia in the elevators.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just finished a 10 day stay at this hotel that was combined business and vacation/family stuff. I really wish Tripadvisor allowed reviewers to award half stars as I would definitely give it a 3.5 rating if I could.

Check in - arrived after midnight and just wanted to get to bed! Front desk was expecting me late, checked me in quickly and gave me exactly the room I asked for - a 1 bedroom suite in a quiet location. I was relieved to get a room at the back of the hotel and not the street as we really needed quiet, and that's what we got! Perfect.

Bell desk - I was escorted to my room with my 2 heavy large bags and the bellman was friendly and informative. Otherwise I never used the bellman for anything, and in fact when I checked out with the same 2 heavy bags and schlepped them downstairs myself the guy just looked at me and went to do something else. I had to heave them out the 2 double doors myself and catch my own cab.

Daily maid service - this was a bit hit or miss. They were all super friendly and spoke good English, but they tried to come at a different time every day, sometimes in the AM, sometimes early PM. There was at least one morning where I was out of the room for over 4 hours and came back and it wasn't cleaned. My daughter stayed with me about 1/2 of the time, but otherwise it was just me and I was very tidy, so there wasn't much for them to do but replace towels and empty trash. Still the room was always clean, although the carpets could definitely use a shampooing, or even better a replacement.

Location - if you need to be in midtown and like to be near the Park and restaurants and shopping this is a terrific location. There is a Morton Williams grocery store (open 24 hours) right across the street as well as a Starbucks (more limited hours ...). 5th Ave is a block and a half away as is Central Park. There are several different subway lines either a half block or block away. And 57th Street runs 2 ways so a pretty good place to catch a taxi too. The location definitely deserves 5 Stars!

Room - we REALLY appreciated having a kitchenette in the room but wish there were cabinets above the sink and microwave as pictured in some of the other rooms. The refrigerator is not full size, but it's not one of the tiny ones either and held a week's worth of groceries for us easily. We brought our own single hot plate and a pot and pan so were able to scramble up some eggs and boil water for pasta. The one bedroom suite is HUGE and perfect for an extended stay. Our King bed was very, very comfortable, and I have a sensitive back. The bathroom is OK - could definitely use updating and the sink is tiny, but otherwise it was decent size compared to other NYC hotel bathrooms I have had. One thing they could do is install those curved shower curtain rods so that the shower feels roomier, otherwise it does feel a little narrow and the fabric shower curtain blows and sticks to you!

Breakfast - I did take a look at the continental breakfast offered on the 3rd floor for $10 per person but never ate there. Lots of rolls, muffins, pastries, bagels and some fruit. The only protein I saw was some hardboiled eggs. It did look good, but it was definitely a carb-fest. If that's what you are hungry for there are plenty of other places to get that stuff for less than $10.

Hotel condition - this place is just old and a little shop-worn, that's why it gets 3 Stars. You don't book this hotel expecting luxury accommodations. Things that would improve the place a lot are new paint and carpet. A complimentary water and coffee/tea station in the lobby would be nice too. The two guest elevators are old and slow, although I never had to wait too long for one.

Would I stay here again? If I come to NYC for an extended stay again - Absolutely! It was clean, well located, the rooms are big and it is a good value. If I was just going to be there for a couple days I would take my chances on Hotwire or Priceline and book something nicer for probably the same price or less.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank pmcolorado
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is our 4th time staying here for pleasure trips to NYC. It is the best location in the city. Close to subway and all attractions if you want to walk. There is a wonderful new fresh food market across the street open 24 hours where you can get breakfast and or lunch or a wonderfully fresh pastry for dessert. Starbucks right next door to them. The staff at the salisbury are always pleasant and attentive. They are quick to upgrade you to a suite if there is one available. Hotel lobby and rooms are very clean, quaint, and the largest in the city. There is a fridge and mini bar sink and microwave in most rooms. Bell captains are always onsite and ready to assist you with your luggage or storage of luggage. Our room on the 11th floor was very quite. Hotel was full the weekend we stayed and we never heard a sound from the hallway or another room. I hope they continue to do well and offer reasonable rates. I would return to the Salisbury on my next vacation to NYC.

Room Tip: Suite 1115 was quiet and very comfortable. The beds seem to have new mattresses. Very comfortable stay!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family