“Great Location, large rooms, friendly staff”
Review of Salisbury Hotel

Salisbury Hotel
Ranked #314 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and me stayed 9 Nights in May 2013 and it was amazing. The Suite was clean and very spacious with comfortable Beds, big Bath and a Kitchenette with refrigerator and a microwave. The location is great, just across the street is a Starbucks and a drugstore, also Restaurants and Deli´s in the nearest neighbourhood. To 5th Avenue is just a block even to Central park, two Subway-Stations within spitting distance. The staff was always friendliy and helpful. When we return to NYC we would surely again put up at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carsten H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,988)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a 5 night stay in April this year. We booked a 1 room suite which was slightly dated but immaculately clean and extremely spacious. Apparently the sofa bed in the living area was quite uncomfortable for my son - but he wasn't paying, I was! Good to have a refrigerator and microwave oven in the room, but sadly no running water to the kitchenette sink. For UK visitors I think a kettle beats a coffee machine in a room. We didn't partake of breakfast in the hotel ($9 p.p) choosing to eat locally instead - mostly at Mangia nearby. BEWARE! the information file in the room was not up to date, and the prices of the local eating places were wildly inaccurate. You will have to wait for the ageing lifts between floors during peak times and during church services - it seems one of the lower floors is part of the Baptist Church which owns the building. The hotel was a street away from Central Park, an easy walk to Times Square and between two Subway stations for trips further afield. We bought 3 Day New York Passes and saved money on admissions to all of the major sights, and could have saved more with planning. Others might prefer a City Pass which restricts entrance to chosen attractions for less money - and less need to dash hither and thither to ensure you are getting your value. Concierge was friendly and knowledgeable. Reception staff were efficient. We would certainly return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TracyTrow
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed there over the New Year and had a fab time from the manager to the house staff all were very friendly and helpful.The rooms were large and clean and beds were comfortable ,across the road there was a starbucks and a drugstore . The location was perfect a block from 5th avenue and a couple of blocks from Central Park..I would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Caz2707
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I'm a bit late with this review as went there on 23 Feb 2013 for 6 nights! I had emailed the Hotel a few months before (to Lydia) asking for our room to be on a high floor and on the 'quiet' side. This is exactly what we got - a BIG thank you for that! I had a 2 double bed suite as I went with my son & daughter who are in their twenties and none of us wanted to share a bed. The rooms, as everyone says, were a very good size and I agree with others who have mentioned about the shower curtain sticking to you - a screen would be much better but I'd rather pay the Salisbury's prices and put up with a curtain! My only complaint about our room - 1515 - (15th floor) was that the taps in the kitchen sink didn't work. I mentioned this to the receptionist the first morning and she said it was a 'known' problem and would we like to move rooms? I said it wasn't that big a problem so we stayed where we were & she said the tap water in the bathroom could be used in the microwave, which we did &. also bought some bottled water . I do think, however, that people that are put in that room should be informed at check-in and asked then if they want a different room.

Regarding our Holiday to NY it was absolutely amazing, we have never done so much walking! We did a 5 1/2 coach trip on the first full day which included a harbour cruise around the statue of liberty. It was a very informative day and as the coach picked-up & dropped-off outside the Winter Gardens it was very convenient as that is only a 10-15 min walk from the Hotel. We also went on a 'New York TV & Movie Sites Tour and bought a 2 day New York Pass. With the pass we went on the NBC studio tour, up the Empire State building in the day & the Top of the Rock that same evening, the American Museum of Natural History, the MoMa, Madame Tussauds & the Harry Potter Exhibition. We had wanted to go to the Air, Sea & Space Museum but the tour guide on the first day said (when we drove past it) that the space shuttle was closed for re-furbishment & also on the day we were going to go it was raining & very windy.

We also went to SoHo, China Town, Grand Central Station, walked along the High Liner & went into many shops! We had been told that we needed to book for the 9/11 memorial, but took a chance and went down there to the shop where you just queue for a ticket (only 2 people in front of us) and give a 'donation' then you get a 30min time slot to get to the entrance, which is a few mins walk away. It is hard to describe the feeling you get there & the atmosphere but I feel everyone should go there as it's so important to everyone who lives there.

All in all, this trip was one of the best holidays we have ever had (& the most exhausting) and it was good to come back at the end of the day (after being out for at least 10 - 12 hrs) to such a nice, clean & comfortable Hotel with very friendly staff.

Room Tip: email in advance and ask for a high floor on the 'quiet' side, it makes all the difference t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank durdledoor
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Just stayed at The Salisbury middle of April for 7 nights , with my husband and our 2 teenage daughters in a one bedroom suite. First time in NYC and this was a great choice large rooms , comfy beds , across from 2 market stores and one 2 doors down (fridge and microwave in room). Starbucks across the road also for the very important for the girls free Wifi. As most others have mentioned close to subway stations which we used all the time , requested a quieter room on arrival and got an end room on the 9th floor (lounge area a little noisy but bedroom area fine) so found the reception good they also organised a car to take us back to the airport. We were aware that the bathroom was small and that this was an older hotel thanks to all the reviews so no surprises. The only complaint would be the sofa bed in lounge area my daughter checked it out on arrival and although clean as was the whole room it was rather uncomfortable so I wouldn't count on a restful sleep on it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Loveholidaytrips
Reviewed April 27, 2013

great big room with two big beds, very clean, the noise at night from the street was horrendous! but grea location and beside a fresh market so plenty of food!staff were helpful. there is a lovely italian restaurant next door yum yum.

Room Tip: ask for one at the back-not near main rd
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bambiN
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in mid April. It is a great location, handy for Central Park, the subway, the hop on/off bus and also for walking to Time Square etc. We had been ready for a small room, as all the sites say NY rooms are small, and so were pleasantly surprised with the size of the room. Our room overlooked the side alley, and so was quieter than the front of the hotel. I would recommend anyone to this hotel, don't bother with their $9 breakfast though - there are cheaper options very close, and opposite the hotel is the fresh food market with masses of choice (although they do seem to close earlier than I expected). You also pay for wifi, but I think it was something like $20 for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the side alley if possible
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple