“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #286 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed Feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I really liked the rooms at the skyline. For a hotel without a reputation, it wasn't that bad. It reminded me of buildings in London where the outside does not really represent the inside. The outside of the hotel needs some updating, although this is NY, so may not be useful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KapopoO
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
We are pleased you were happy with all the changes inside the hotel. I fully understand your comment about mixed emotions, as the face of the building outside does not tell you what is waiting for you. We are exploring what we can do to improve our curb appeal.

Mark Hurewitz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Checked in for an extended St Patricks day break. The Check-in desk team provided a prompt but unfriendly service (both females, though I noted the other reception team were much more friendly - and don't continually chew gum!). Our room on the second floor was clean yet dated. Both bedside lights did not work and apart from the many long hairs in the bath, the room was acceptable. Our bathroom was tiny, fortunately neither my wife or I are too big-it was actually difficult closing the door to use the toilet. However, an abundance of fresh, soft, fluffy towels and excellent heating system. The lifts to the bedrooms are nothing short of disgusting with the carpet soiled and sticky. Ice machines and vending readily available on corridors. The pool area was clean and functional though staff were neither efficient or friendly. Hotel location is good - less than 10 minutes to Times Square but be prepared to pay ten dollars per day per device for internet. I asked my wife if she would return to the Skyline. She hesitated for only a moment before saying "I don't think I would like to!". The only meal we had at the hotel was breakfast which was quite good and had a reasonable selection.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Salm0nfishing
They say timming is sometimes everything. first, thank you for your positive comments. Now, to the things that were not acceptable. This week we have just updated the last rooms to be completed in the building on the second floor. all of these rooms received all new bedding, featuring our down comforters and triple sheeting, together with new carpeting. we also recently had two new elevators installed in our west building and next month we are renovating the elevators you experienced. This will complete the inside of the hotel which has been renovated.

i hope you read this response and contact me so i can offer you another stay in the hotel you expected to stay in.

Best Regards,
Moreton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in sept 2009, will be arriving this Sunday 16th march, we are back because we found this hotel to be friendly and great value for money, the area is good and we walked for miles , Hell's Kitchen food is the best and great value , last time I visited it was for my daughters 21st birthday this review is long over due, this time a couples 4 day break with my husband , really really looking forward to seeing if the hotel is a good as last time, see you soon

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank susanandderek
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Another reason why to stay at the Skyline Hotel, the great food and bars that are in our neiboorhood of Hells Kitchen. It is nice that you are visting us again in a few days.

Looking forward to your stay,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We travelled in October 2013 and stayed for 4nights at the hotel. The hotel is in the Hells Kitchen district and was only about a 5-10min walk to Times Square. There are some lovely little bars & restaurants in the area. The hotel itself is great - the swimming pool is a lovely treat after a long day in the city - with some amazing views across the new york skyline. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded and had two lovely large quenns beds, the room was of a very good size and was very clean. One of the lifts were out of service when we stayed but this made no difference to us. The reception staff were extremely friendly and helped us when needed with directions & suggestions to places. Would definately recommend this hotel whilst staying in New York and wouldn't think twice about staying again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nlt83
Our neighborhood is what makes are Hotel even more special for our guest. Thank you for choosing us and look foward to your return.

Best regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

We sooo wanted to like this hotel. We came in on a red eye, arriving early on Saturday. No room was avail, but they let us stow our bags, and were told to come back after Noon.

That's when I noticed it. Dust. EVERYWHERE. The lobby floor/rugs were dirty, the couches old and tired. This hotel has seen better days. There WAS someone vacuuming with what I can only describe as a "vintage vacuum". It was making sound, but didn't seem to be sucking anything up. Geez. What would the rooms look like?

When we finally got a room, the WINDOW in it was cracked OPEN (no screen - just open). The (old) heater, blowing cold air. We were sooo tired we didn't bother to call and ask for another room. The bedspreads are quilted, polyester spreads (like, from the 70s). Bottom sheet wasn't a fitted sheet, and was not tucked in. There was steel wool surrounding the pipes in the bathroom - you know, the type you put in so MICE cannot pass through a hole? Yeah. That type. The toilet backed up, but thank goodness didn't flood the bathroom. It DID take about 30 mins for someone to come up to fix that. The furniture was scratched, two single plugs (in the lamps) and double in the wall (we had to unplug the light to plug in a phone to charge).

We went to dinner, arriving back about 9:30pm. THAT was when the fun started. Yelling! Crashing sounds! Drunken laughter! Music! Shouting! People coming and going! Lots of people! Security coming up! IN THE ROOM NEXT DOOR! and OUTSIDE OUR ROOM! We watched TV, tried to ignore the mayhem, thinking these people would surely be going out soon, right? It's NYC after all! Our kids finally fell asleep, but I couldn't sleep. Finally, about 1:30am, either they stopped or I fell asleep. Not sure what happened. The walls are paper-thin, and the room next door was obviously the location of a pretty big party.

At checkout, I mentioned "we had a very horrible experience" staying there and the person at the desk said "Oh, I'm sorry. Was that the 2nd floor?" and then "It IS NYC and it's Saturday night". Then said I should have called, and they'd send security, or call the police. So it's MY fault? And they obviously KNEW about it. WHY is it MY fault?? This was WELL beyond what anyone should have to tolerate. I should have asked her to comp our room....but I just wanted to leave.

I am truly sorry to write something like this - we are not fancy hotel people - quite the opposite - we save our money and try and get a good price on a decent hotel room. And in NYC, sure - this is short money - but we cannot recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank TopangaGirl
I would love to have an opportunity to discuss your comments on the phone. Since i do not know who you are, please call me if you would. I am surprised to hear your comments and negative experience of the hotel. I do know that your comments about another guest causing a disturbence in the hotel where true, but our response was not exactly as you stated.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

I have titled my review Ok but Not great because that's exactly what it was. We were happy because we paid for an executive King Room and the hotel did provide spacious accomadations, however the first room we were given did not have working heat. In the middle of the cold NYC winter this is not acceptable. So after complaining and being transferred to another room, the heat was blasting. The location is decent. About a 15-20 min walk to Times square (There are other hotels closer at comparable rates. We stayed here due to friends that had already booked this location.) The first room, that was cold, was nice and clean. The second room with heat, it looked like the bathroom was not 100% clean. I talked to the front desk and they told me the maids wont be in until 6am and she would leave a note. Of course no one ever showed up either one of the days we stayed there.

The only other real problems I had at the hotel was that it seemed that some things we tried to talk to the staff about were lost in translation. If you book this hotel, they give options for the Spa but yet when I talked to the front desk they first acted like they didnt know what I was talking about. After 10 minutes of explaining, she finally recognized that the service is offered across the street. She then told me that the spa would have to be booked through the concierge, who of course leaves work at 4pm. What kind of an hotel doesn't have a 24 hour concierge? So by time she finally offered to help the spa was closed for the day.

It seemed like alot of the staff only worked daytime hours including: the maids, the concierge, maintainence, etc. If hotels are 24 hours, they need to provide at least minimal staff on duty for that for that time.

One last thing, our room was 100% paid for bet yet a $43.09 hold was put on my account. I didn't mind because this is pretty standard at hotels, but here it is 5 days later and the hold is still on my card. When I called this morning, I first got the run around, then I finally got the answer of, "The person you need to speak to will not be in unitl Monday." I am convinced that the people that are supposed to field the different guest complaints are never available. Not sure if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I heard the other standard rooms were very small, so if you can definetly get a Kind bed room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Annoyed10682
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel advertised a cocktail lounge/bar that had an amazing and panaromic view over Manhattan - NOT TRUE. The bar had been closed - it just wasn't there! There was a bar but that was on the ground floor looking out onto a scruffy area of Hells Kitchen. My husband and I did venture up to the area/room where the alleged bar was supposed to be, but there was nothing in there other than a lonely Christmas tree and a couple of banqueting chairs and tables. No bar. No cocktail lounge and not a single hotel guest or member of staff.

The bedrooms were small, the beds too small and definitely not comfortable. The bathrooms were awful and worse than basic. There wasn't even a towel rail in the bathroom or even a hook on the back of the bathroom door to hang any clothing or towels.

Plus side? There was ONE - the food served at the bar was okay.

Oh, and get this, on the day we were checking out, we checked under the beds to make sure that we hadn't left anything and guess what? There was a pile of food under one of them - gross. The housekeeping staff obviously only vacuum around the beds . . .

We would NEVER stay at this hotel again, nor do we recommend it.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I can't provide one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Vivaldi1066
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
OUCH! I am sorry we disappointed you ! We do advertise the fantastic view from our indoor pool and banquet room on the penthouse level. I believe the room you are refering to that was closed, was the banquet room on the penthouse level, that you mistaken for the restaurant.
I am surprise about the comment about the size of the beds, as we have three categorizes- twin rooms which are least expensive rooms and there are only 16 in the building- double bed rooms-queen bed rooms and king bed rooms make up the rest of the hotel. I do not know which you are reffering to and trust this was indicated when your reservation was made.
There is no excuse for the items you found under the bed and this has been discussed with the housekeeping staff.
I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expecations.