“A horrible hotel”
Review of Skyline Hotel

Skyline Hotel
Ranked #265 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 2, 2014

A frequent traveler myself, I do not expect much from budget hotels in New York City--but some basic expectations usually carry on, including basic safety, habitually, and communicability. Unfortunately, none of these were met during our recent two day stay at the Skyline Hotel.

While older heaters usually generate a noticeable level of noise, which is nothing surprising, but this becomes troubling when the heater itself does not produce any heat. This was during some of the coldest days in New York City, and the hotel refused our request to change rooms while there were plenty available, and insisted on bringing a shabby electric radiator to our room, which was extremely unsafe since we had a young child capable of moving around.

Just when I thought the experience couldn't get much worse, I myself almost got killed the next day. The cleaning attendants did not unplug the electric heater after room cleaning, and at night when we got back to the room, we thought it was a good idea to unplug the radiator just for a while to let the machine cool down. When we tried to unplug the heater, the outlet generate a huge zap of electric shock, and the entire room went dark. Later we realized that half of the electric plug was broken, and was stuck in the electric outlet. Such level of poor maintenance of equipment endangered our lives, and it was only then we were switched to another room, the heater of which was broken as well.

All of this could have been helped if the staff were a little bit more attentive. Unfortunately, they were extremely rude and unhelpful, as if the welfare of the guests are about the farthest it can get from their duties.

This hotel refreshed my impressions of a horrendous hotel, and I will never consider staying here again. I hope my experience can shed light on how you might be treated at this hotel.

8  Thank Larry B
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I agree it is there hard to understand that we would not offer you another room because of the heater not working in your room. This would only happen if we did not have another room at the time, which I can not tell by the information given. In regards to the portable heaters, we only use the safest hearters on the market and it sounds like the plug was knock or pulled out on a angle by mistake , which caused the power surge and the breaker going off. I am sure this was a scarry monment for you and your family. I am glad no one was hurt , excect the hotel, in how you felt about your experience.

I would welcome further contact if you wish to better understand this situation.

Regards,
Mark Hurewitz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

New York at Christmas time is amazing, this hotel was close to all the wonderful things. 5mins to Times Square, and metros within a few minute walk and you can be anywhere very quickly.
The hotel was nice, rooms were big compared to some places we have stayed. We stayed with a small baby so missed not having a microwave to heat bottles etc, but hotel restaurant have us boiled water when ever we needed it, so just take an urn :-)
We spent 6 nights here and loved every minute, not a single complaint about the hotel :-)

• Stayed: December 2013
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

We are happy we contributed to making your holiday visit more enjoyable. It is so nice to see that we provide a great experience for you and your family.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed with my family at the Skyline Hotel on January 10-14, 2014. We found the hotel & hotel room to be clean and neat. The staff were very friendly, in concierge, the check in staff, the guy who helped us with our luggage was super helpful. His name was Remi. My dad's luggage's zipper got stuck and didn't open, so Remi called the engineer to come help us. Like 5 minutes passed and he came back to the room because the engineer was very busy so he offered to assist us, so we wouldn't be kept waiting. Also, he recommended us a breakfast place nearby that was very good: Giorgio's.
The hotel has a great location! Walking distance to Times Square & Rockefeller area. We walked everywhere, except when we went to Wall Street and brooklyn bridge, and another day that we went Uptown and to the bronx. (Went on the subway).
There's various places nearby to have a quick eat and also, have a fancy dinner. There are 24 hour quick marts, and CVS nearby. Also, there's a good restaurant in the hotel, $16 all you can eat & drink breakfast buffet. We ate there twice, out of 5 days.
We come from a tropical island, so we always sleep with A/C, and like the heater in the room was on all the time, we asked to turn it off. A staff member came and helped us with that. so we slept with the window a little bit open and with the cool a/c on. :)
I do really recommend this hotel, and i would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There were some remodeling going on in the up floors (we were on room 419), and on our last night we...
4  Thank Enid M

Friendly staff mention made my day. I agree, that Remy is always there to help. It is nice to hear that everything went well on your trip and we look forward to a future return.
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the skyline between the 2nd and the 9th of jan this year! Really friendly good service( with a smile). Rooms clean and very comfortable. Really nice beds! Didn't try the gym or pool. But after long days exploring the city it was the last thing we needed! Great location only a few blocks from time square. We fell in love with New York so we have booked to go back in September and guess where we are staying?? Can't wait to return!! Keep up the good work!
Kind regards the wheelers
Lymington, England

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ostrich1983

We look forward to your return in September, when we hope to provide another memorable experience and add to your NYC visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Skyline from 14th Jan to 19th Jan and the hotel was great value for money. Around 10-15min walk to Times Square and other attractions, which was perfect for us as it was our first time in New York so being centrally located meant we could find our way around easily. The rooms were spacious and clean, so cant fault them at all. Across the street there is the Skyline deli and Fat Sals pizza - both great for snacks! Overall for the price we paid we were very happy with facilities and location and would definitely stay here again!

1  Thank mledg

On behalf of the Skyline Hotel, Skyline Deli and Fat Sals Pizza we would like to thank you for the nice comments. Part of the positive experiences our guest have is not just about the hotel, but the wonderful neiborhood we are located in. This is what makes us special.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed last night. Positives:
1. I sent emails with questions and they responded quickly.
2. Room ready when we got there.
3. Parking was awesome and cost $10 - in NYC? Crazy!
4. GORGEOUS lobby.
5. Check-in staff were super sweet with our kids and set the tone for our trip.
6. Room was a Superb with double beds - was the size of an average hotel room. Bathroom was nice, large, and clean.
7. Complimentary shampoo & stuff was nice quality.
8. View of the Empire State Building. Um, wow.
9. Maybe 5-10 minute walk to Times Square.
10. indoor pool on roof is clean, nice, and the views - holy cow.
11. Mexican restaurant in-house that also does room service.
12. Several delis across the street; my husband ran out for breakfast and it was good NYC deli coffee, excellent bagels, and they had a good selection of groceries (snacks for later for the kids.)
13. SO QUIET - we live in literally rural farmland, and we heard nothing from the street or upper floors and slept great.
14. Comfy beds. My kids are weirdly picky about this, and slept like rocks.
15. Fridge that was VERY cold in room, working safe in room, and dreamy water pressure in shower.
16. When we left, the guys grabbed our car quickly, it really was $10, they were nice about the kids needed to get loaded and strapped in, and the car was in great shape.
AND...
17. THIS IS SERVICE: my son left his stuffed animal he is super attached to in our room. I called frantic and left a message at the front desk. Housekeeping found it, called me back, quickly made arrangements to mail it to me, and sent an email confirming it, all within about an hour. Who does that for people anymore?

When we got home, the kids wanted to go back so badly we looked for cheaper hotels in NJ and Brooklyn. You know what? Skyline, when you factor parking, is within $30 of the cheapest, scary places, and Skyline is primo. We all agreed we are going to save a little each week to make a much longer trip back, and we will stay nowhere else but Skyline. My husband, who at first thought it was a little pricey ($192/night with the taxes and everything, +$25/night incidentals that they get held on your card and refund if you don't watch movies, etc.) just said, 'That was awesome, I say we stick with them from now on."

No, it's NOT the Plaza. Duh. But trust me, I lived in NYC for 10 years, I know from the Plaza, and this is as close as you will get for this price. And the employees are flat-out just good people.

Room Tip: We did the supreme double bed. It was great. Specifically, we were in room 411 in the newer building...
5  Thank apdMaryland

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really want to thank you for taking the time to let the world know the great experience we were able to provide you and your family. I would love to use your review as a marketing tool .

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Me and my Wife stayed here for 5 nights from the 9th December, the only thing I'm going to moan at is when we arrived we were not on there system for the booking but for the day after, we had to sit in reception for 20 mins for them to sort it out, would of been nice to of been offered a drink, but it did get sorted out and all was ok.

Hotel was clean, staff were fine but that's it,our room was on the 6th floor a great view of the Nyc skyline, the hotel concierge was spot on very helpful and the Bell Boys keep your cases for you when you check out for $1 per case which was good.
The first night we were so tired we dined in the Meemo sports bar which is attached to the hotel to be honest the food was good I had the Meemo burger that was spot on, washing it down with a pint of blue moon, I would recommend trying this restaurant.

It's a great location only 10 mins walk to Times Square, aprox 20 mins to Central Park, if you want to eat a little cheaper but still good food I'd suggest eating on 9th Avenue between 44/54th street.

In a morning we just grabbed a coffee and a donut from the shop across the street on the corner of 50th street, which was good but cheap.
Our trip to NYC was a 3 day sightseeing and 2 days shopping trip, we did everything from 7:30 in a morning not getting back to the hotel until 10pm, did ground zero, Empire State, top of the rock, Central Park inc ice skating, the American museum of national history, and a helicopter tour.
We did the hop on hop bus for 3 days did that on the Grey line bus company, we used to get on 8th avenue nr to 47/48th street which is where there office is, we did the Brooklyn tour where you get on that bus where you get off at ground zero just swap busses, I would defo recommend that.
We did a whole day shopping on the Friday and half day Saturday.

All in all I would stay at this hotel again, I've stayed in worse I've stayed in better nothing special but clean and a good nights sleep, that's why I've gave it an average rating.

Room Tip: Just ask for a high floor room for a good view, our room was clean and spacious
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MartTheWolf
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

It is nice to hear what a great vacation you had in NYC. We hope rto see you again.

Regards,