“Not great, but not bad”
Review of Skyline Hotel

Skyline Hotel
Ranked #269 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel was in a good location as other reviewers have mentioned. We did not have any problems with the hotel staff, but the parking attendants were rude. When we complained, we were told that they were not associated with the hotel, they just provided the parking... The pool and location were the main reasons for staying here for us since we were traveling with kids. The rooms were a good size, but the overall feeling of the hotel and rooms was older and run down a bit. We were a bit disappointed since we paid what we felt was a lot of money for the rooms (we were a party of six and needed two rooms) and they were just ok. Don't think we would return if we ever went back to NYC.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Not great , but not bad , is being kind , but not accpetable to us . We have been renovating the property, as we have just in the process of new elevators being installed.

We will continue to look for improvement and appreciate your comments.

Warm Regards,
Mark Hurewitz

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here as we were on a trip across americia NY to LA .
We found hotel in a good place not far to most thing including the intrepid and the Concorde
And a nice area to eat a little walk away.
The staff on the desk seem to think they were above those staying though?
The concierge on the other hand was very good .
And if in NY I would stay but don't go to the front desk it will only put you off.

Room Tip: We stayed on the east side .
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank concorde7
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights. I like the location of this hotel. Easy walking to the sights of the city. (The Highline, Time Square and 34th street). If ever in the city check out the hotel, the staff are great and the rooms are clean.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Viajero M
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here with my son and wife for a week in mid-July. Overall very pleased, rooms are nice and clean. Great location in Hell's Kitchen, very close to the Intrepid Museum and easy walking distance to both Central Park and Times Square. We even walked to the Empire State Building. Closest Subway station about 2 'long' blocks away.

Wi-fi is not free, I paid about $36 for 5-day access. Daily I think was $10

Housekeeping service was a little slow at times, or lets say very variable. I had them knocking on my door before 9am asking to clean, and then came back later in the day about 2:00 and they still had not done it, knocking on the door 3 more times after then that day to do so even with the Do Not Disturb sign on the doorknob.

Lots of European families staying there when I was, mostly German I think. I think the hotel is German run too, or at least alot of its staff are.

Front desk staff got a little testy with me when I questioned when my room would be ready after I changed to a larger one. Upcharge for it was reasonable, but I waited a very long time for them to have it clean and ready. She claimed she told to to wait until a particular time but she never gave me any specific time, just 'afternoon'. Anyway, was a little inconvenient that day but worth the change.

Pool is undersized for the amount of usage it seemed to get, but is on the penthouse level with great views. Fitness room well equipped but poorly lighted.

Room Tip: They have smaller rooms with two twin beds that are for no more than 2 people. Also the next size l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrt77
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for both your positive comments and the comments for improvement. I will share all your comments with our staff. Hoping you will have a chance to stay with us in the near future---Mark Hurewitz

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel is in a very good location for visitors. It is some four blocks from Times square, an easy walk. While it could do with a revamp, the rooms are comfortable, no street noise, clean and the cost is reasonable. Staff and facilities are good, although breakfast is not included in the price. A great view from the top of the hotel of the New York skyline.

Room Tip: It would be best to ask for the best possible room for price.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

your comments are greatly appreciated and hope to see you again at our hotel---Mark Hurewitz

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the skyline and would not stay there again. The hotel staff had no personality and gave the impression that they really did't want to be there. There is no free wifi or coffee making facility and the air conditioning is below standard if it works at all. The house maids walk into your rooms whenever it suits them, if they do knock they never wait for a reply. This was reported to front desk staff who didn't seem to care and did nothing. On the day of our departure (checkout was 12 noon) we left our rooms for a short time and when we returned most of our towels etc had been removed leaving us with 1 towel, 1 facecloth and 1 hand towel to share. I do believe from other travellers there are better hotels nearby with comparable rates.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peter W

it is not often that we receive a not so favorable rewiew, however, it does give us an opportunity to see where we can improve and hopefully make sure this does not happen again. i am sorry we feel short of your expecations and the service level you should have received---Mark Hurewitz

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the hotel along with 3 friends, whilst celebrating a milestone birthday from the 22-29 June 2013.

The hotel is excellent value for money, really clean, great facilities, knowledgeable and hospitable staff and a superb manager who can not do enough to accommodate his guests. The location is greatly suited for all the cafes and restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and it is within easy walk to Times square - and I would add in a completely safe part of New York. As four girls, often walking back to the hotel in the early hours of the morning we felt extremely safe and able to do so.

Having stayed in both the Hilton on Avenue of Americas and the Sheraton off Times Square, this was much better value for money - and all the money I saved I was able to spend on myself.

I would recommend a stay at this hotel, and will will look forward to returning to it on my next visit.

Thank you all!

Room Tip: We stayed in both twin single bed room and a suite - couldn't fault them, so any room at hotel i...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kam k
MHUREWITZ, General Manager at Skyline Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Your comments are greatly appreciated, it was our pleasure having you and your friends stay with us.--Mark Hurewitz