5,089 results
All reviews rooftop pool columbus circle central park morning star north tower new york times square lincoln center bit dated hell's kitchen two double beds concierge desk carnegie hall few blocks subway station coffee maker street noise
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here recently for two nights on a business trip. On the plus side, it has a great location and the staff were good. However, the decor is starting to look really dated and I slept poorly as the sound of the elevator going up and down all night is really quite intrusive. Needs a good overhaul probably. Quite pricey too but I guess that's New York for you.

Room tip: Ask for a room away for elevators
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Don’t let the nice lobby fool you, this place is disgusting. I was quickly greeted in my room by two mice running around until they noticed me and scurried under the bed. I’ve lived in NYC for a couple of years and I know there are never just a couple of mice. It wouldn’t surprise me if the first few floors are invested. Although I was given a new room, that sense of comfort was completely gone and I was on edge the rest of my stay. I even slept with the lights on because I was so worried I’d see more mice. The rooms themselves are very outdated, generally lack cleanliness, and are quite honestly just ugly. All of the appliances are very outdated included the plumbing. I had to figit with the toilet to get it to flush. There are so many nicer places to stay in NYC for the price The Watson costs, don’t waste your money here.

Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank Janedoe1992
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is what greeted me upon arrival. Stay away!!!! Smelly and dirty. Glad I'm not too far from home. Smells like cigarette and cigar combined. And then the bacterial growth on the "air conditioner"....priceless

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Cristyb123
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We read the reviews before we went and so were prepared. As we were travelling to NYC in August with older children we were attracted by the beautiful rooftop pool which did not disappoint.

Our thoughts :

Check in was quick, no queues and the reception staff very helpful and smiley. We sent the kids up to check out the room whilst we checked out the bar and ordered a Bud, however the kids could not find our 5th floor room - this is because there are two different towers and lifts. I asked prior to our trip to be put in the tower with the pool and I was. There is a free safety deposit box service at reception which we found really useful and more safe than an in room safe (which many hotels charge for).

The lifts are dated and we called them "bone shakers", but the kids found them fun and we always managed to get in the lift and found no queues. The corridors were clean but also dated in style. The room was very spacious (we had a double double corner deluxe with two double beds and a bathroom, wardrobe with hangers, iron, ironing board and a hairdryer were all included. The bathroom was very dated but clean. The black out curtains worked really well and so did the air conditioning unit. We had read about mice on this forum before we went and therefore knew to not leave any food out in our room at all during our trip, when we did eat in our room we removed all traces of food and packaging to the bins downstairs. One night my daughter left a crisp packet out and we did hear a rustling of the packet so swiftly removed it. We never saw or heard another mouse or any droppings. We did see that neighbours across the hall had ordered take out and left the bags and leftovers outside their bedroom door which would have attracted mice.

The bar and bar staff were nice enough and open till 2am and serving food till midnight, the onion rings were HUGE and the kids loved them. My husband wanted to watch an English football match one day and they put it on for him. Breakfast at $20 per head was too expensive, we felt, so we went out for breakfast every day or brought something back from the lovely Roosevelt Deli 2 minutes away.

We loved the pool, cooling off there at the end of a long day sightseeing was lovely and with Stella $6 and hot dogs $3 we felt it was reasonable, they played music and it was very relaxing and such a sun trap. The pool staff were nice too. One day, we did not fancy sightseeing and spent a full day at the pool which the kids loved.

The location of this hotel is very good, 10 mins walk to Central Park, 15 mins walk to Times Square, 25 mins walk to Hudson's Yards. Very close to Columbus Circle and 7th Avenue subway. To and from the airport we got the subway from 7th Avenue to Jamaica and then caught the airtrain, it was a quick, cheap and easy journey requiring no taxis.

We had a great time at this hotel, we were not too bothered by the dated decor, the staff were all great, the pool very relaxing of an evening (open till 7.30pm) and beds comfortable and a good hotel for kids due to the pool and amount of space available. If someone invested in updating this hotel it could be amazing.

Thank you Watson Hotel, we had a good time.

Date of stay: August 2019
1  Thank sunnymummy2017
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Mouses scratched our stuff. We just left some sweets on the ground when we were out and came back and saw mouses were running on the floor. After that we saw our stuff eaten. Do not recommended for anyone

Trip type: Traveled with friends