“Good location but front desk staff could do with a bit of customer service training!”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #361 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this particular Holiday Inn in New York during our first visit to the city last August.

The main reason why we've chosen this hotel is the value for money. It has a superb location which is pretty close to Times Square area, Central Park and a number of fast food outlets. If it's about the location, this is definitely a good spot to stay.

However, the biggest downside are the staff especially the female receptionist who attended me when I checked out in the morning. I cannot remember her name but she was on duty Friday morning of August 23. I don't want to sound racist but I think she is Asian and although that has nothing to do with it, she wasn't the perfect choice to man the reception on a busy check out period.

I manage a hotel as well so I know how receptionists should act and should work during peak times and she certainly hasn't got the interest to serve people on that day.

The other staff were ok but no one really stood out in my opinion.

I cannot fault the cleanliness of the rooms though. It was spotlessly clean every day and whilst the room we stayed in wasn't renovated, it is still very much fit for purpose and I have no complaints about it at all.

All in all, with the exemption of the rude and abrupt receptionist, it was a very pleasant stay. I'd probably not stay here again though but worth a try especially if you're travelling to NYC on a budget!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Thecutetraveller
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Thecutetraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our property. We are very happy to hear you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable; please know I will be sending those comments along to our Housekeeping staff who will be pleased to see you mentioned them. I sincerely apologize about the poor check-out experience you encountered, please feel free to e-mail us with further details to mail@hi57.com (attention Management). Thank you again for your time and feedback, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Guest Service Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,520)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I spent Labor Day weekend in Manhattan, and really enjoyed the trip. This is what I saw: Newark Airport, New Jersey Transit trains, subways, taxis, taxicab drivers, bars, restaurants, Central Park, the American Museum of Natural History, the Brooklyn Bridge, crazy homeless people, nice homeless people, regular people, cars, buses, bikes, and the dog people. The dog people drag their dogs around with them everywhere they go so they can be sure everyone knows that They Live Here!!! Okay, community pride and vanity mixed up in a poodle parade. Fun times.
The hotel was fine, the pool closes early, the cleaning lady unclogged the sink drain without having to be asked -Wow!- and overall it was a decent place to sleep off the fun. The location makes this hotel special. Free Wifi, nice. The $16 breakfast buffet, not so nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank George G

Dear Ge0150,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your details about your trip. There is much to see in New York City, and it sounds like you were able to see it all! We are happy to hear you found our rooms to be satisfying after a day of sightseeing. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy the breakfast buffet; please know we also offer an a la carte menu in our restaurant, where all items are priced separately giving guests a variety of options to choose. Thank you again for your time and feedback, and we hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to NY.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

First time in New York and was worried about what area to stay in. This place is almost perfect, close to Hell's Kitchen (9th Ave), that has amazing restaurants. It's an easy walk to Columbus Circle which is a main station for the subway. Recommend you get a weekly pass if your staying in NY between 5-7 days. It's a big place, you'll get worn out very quickly. The service was good. We didn't have much to do with the front desk except for checking in. The concierge ladies were brilliant, they get swamped by lots of people so if your patient they are a wealth of knowledge. Internet is great in the lobby, was useless in the rooms, except in the toilet. Otherwise is a great hotel for a reasonable price, even in peak time.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dan W

Dear Dan W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We are very happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our convenient location, and our excellent concierges! We really appreciate the feedback, and they will be happy to see you mentioned them. I apologize that the WIFI was not working well in your room; please know we do offer wireless bridges at the front desk that always help with the connection. We also have a Technical Support company who can further assist and are available 24 hours, 7 days a week; we are always more than happy to call and get the problem fixed quickly. Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have been going to this Holiday Inn for years. Just off the West Side Highway with valet parking. Parking is a pretty good value for the City. Excellent location in mid town. Currently being renovated. Has rooftop pool in summer. Comfortable lobby bar. Often get great internet rates for this hotel. Love its neighborhood.

1  Thank Kathleen D

Dear Kathleen D,

Thank you so much for your positive review about the Holiday Inn Midtown! We are so happy to have you as a loyal guest, and sincerely thank you for your patronage. We are glad you enjoy our ammenities, and our convenient location. Thank you again for your time and feedback. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn/57th St. in Midtown Manhattan last weekend (8/22/13/- 8/25/13). We were moving my oldest son into his dorm at Fordham, so the hotel was close. Check in went well, though we noticed the hotel was showing its age. I requested feather pillows from housekeeping, but they never arrived.
The following day, after moving my son into his dorm (we left the room by 9:45 a.m.), my family went sightseeing for 6 or so hours. Imagine our surprise, when arriving back to our room at 5:50 p.m., to find both of our room cards had been deactivated! The maid showed up, apologized for not having cleaned our room, raced off and didn't return, leaving us in the hallway. My husband went looking for her, told her our situation, and she told us she couldn't let us in, and for us to call management from the hallway phone. She refused to call for us. She then began scurrying to clean our room, which obviously, from what we could glimpse, had not been touched.
I spoke to management, who left me on hold and never returned to my call. I called back, and spoke with a woman named Claudia (or Claudine), who apologized profusely and promised that security was on its way upstairs. 15 minutes later, with us still standing in the hallway, security arrived, and made a new key (1 key, not 2). He did not allow us to inspect the room. My husband called management (for the 3rd time), to express our dissatisfaction with our treatment, and was literally told, when he said we would not stay at that hotel again, "Okay, thank you" and was hung up on!
We thought we had found a place to stay on our frequent visits to the city to visit our son, but the way we were treated, the oddness of having BOTH room keys deactivated, the fact that our room hadn't been cleaned by 5:50 p.m. and the uncaring attitude of management has turned us off Holiday Inns. To tell the truth, I am nervous about staying at one again, because I question if my room had been used while I was out. I am going to be staying in Orlando soon, and I am thinking about cancelling my reservation for the Holiday Inn at Lake Buena Vista Downtown.
My family and I travel a lot, and are very courteous customers. We always say it is easy to have good customer service when things go well. The true test of quality customer service is when something goes wrong. This hotel got it terribly, terribly wrong.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel. if you do stay here and wish to use the pool, have fun. The manager of the...
1  Thank riski

Dear riski,

Thank you for your review and giving us the opportunity to learn from your feedback. My sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Please know room key-cards can deactivate for many reasons; such as them being next to a cell phone, a credit card, when going through any metal detector, or even an error made at check-in by the front desk typing in the incorrect dates, but this does not allow anyone else access to your room in any way. That is, however, no excuse for the delay in fixing the situation and again I truly apologize and understand the frustration you experienced. Please feel free to e-mail us with further details to mail@hi57.com (attention Management). I truly apologize that we did not create an experience for you to love our brand, and hope you will give us the opportunity to show our improvements based on your comments.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights in August 2013. Clean room and staff was very helpful. Beds were comfortable and lots of pillows and maid service was great. Great location - very close to Columbus circle - subways / bus. I booked this hotel because it had a pool which I thought would be great for my two teenage boys. Unfortunately the pool opened at 10am and closed at 6pm - we were never able to take advantage so it was a complete waste. I would have loved to come back and swim after a day walking but we were never able to do this.
Food was very good but pricey as are most restaurants in NYC - recommend you walk and find something less expensive.

1  Thank Momof2boysTO

Dear Momof2boysTO,

Thank you very much for your review about the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th Street! We really appreciate your feedback and are very happy to hear your found our rooms to be comfortable, and our staff to be helpful. We take great pride in our customer service so we are thrilled to hear you can see it in our actions; your comments will be passed along to all personnel. We are so sorry to hear you were not able to use our rooftop pool; I will be sending your suggestion regarding the hours to the department head. Please know we also have a concierge on site 7 days a week who has many restaurant recommendations based on any preference you may have. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments. We hope to have you as our guest again in the near future if your travels bring you back to NYC!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooftop pool is fantastic ! Especially if you travel to New York during warm seasons. It is really cool and cools you off in the day in a city that never sleeps. The lokation is very good. Close to Columbus cirkle with lots of shopping. Close to the Subway and very nicely situated to be able to walk in Central Park. The mamager Joe can solve all your questions and is a warm guy with a big hart who really care for all his guests. Do not expect anything but american cofee for breakfast but its close to any Starbucks in the neighbourhoods. I warmly rekommend this place to stay at your visit to New York.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bibs2013

Dear Bibs2013,

Thank you so much for your positive review on the Holiday Inn Midtown on 57th Street. We really appreciate your feedback, and your comments will be shared with the General Manager! Please know we do have a concierge on site that is always more than happy to recommend restaurants in the area, for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Thank you again for taking the time to celebrate us!