“Nothing special...”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #357 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We wanted an extra night in New York on short notice, and this was one of the few hotels available... I agree with other comments about the room being old and outdated. It was a good size, but everything needing upgrading. Was surprised by the double beds, as every other hotel seems to now be supplying queen size beds. The location was good, within walking distance of Central Park. I wasn't happy about the $3/bag charge for storing luggage. First hotel I've come across that does that...

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard P
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Richard P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I apologize that you did not find our rooms to be satisfactory. Please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms, which include new furnishings, carpeting, wallpaper, and more. Please know we do charge $3 per bag for storing luggage only if left after 11:00pm, if stored during the day it is complimentary for in-house guests. We apologize again for any inconvenience, and hope you will stay with us in the near future to see our improvements.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is the last day of our trip in America and we've ended up here. It is awful. The bedroom is OK but the bathroom is absolutely terrible. It does actually stink of stale urine - like a male public toilet and the paper is peeling off the walls. We are tired and are leaving tomorrow for the airport so wanted a night watching movies - not available, despite calling 4 times. they said they'd have to call the provider. There's no coffee, well 2 decaf and that's it and we are 3. I found the staff efficient but unfriendly, very different from the other hotels we have stayed in on our trip. The room should sleep 4 but the beds are not doubles, just a bit bigger than singles - I suppose you'd call them 3 quarter? Maybe we've been spoiled by the other comfortable and welcoming hotels in New York and Washington, D.C. But this one is way short of those. We would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 334 is one to avoid.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ClareBirmingham
Jasmin O, Guest Service Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear ClareBirmingham,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and giving us the opportunity to learn from your feedback. We are very sorry to hear your stay was not satisfactory. I am passing your comments regarding the bathroom to the Director of Housekeeping who will look into the issue further. However, please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms, which includes brand new furnishings, wallpaper, carpeting and more, which we believe will give the rooms a much fresher feel. We sincerely apologize about the movies not working in your room, we understand that must have been a big inconvenience for you and a room change should have been offered since that was the main focus of your night. After reading your review, our Chief Engineer was contacted and concurs that there is a problem with that system; him and the provider have been working on the issue ever since it was reported last night. I hope you did eventually receive the regular, extra coffee you needed, as housekeeping is always available 24 hours to bring up anything extra you might need. Our 425 square foot double bedded rooms do contain two full sized beds, that are indeed a bit smaller than a Queen sized mattress, so we apologize if this was uncomfortable for you. As a hotel, we can't improve unless we know something has gone wrong, so my deepest thanks for your time and feedback. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I am staying here right now in room 334. New York is fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone. However, the holiday inn on w57th street has filthy curtains, smelly toilets and incredibly rude staff. I tried to access the movies two hours ago and got the message, access barred. Please contact reception. We have now contacted reception five times, to no avail. The staff are brusque and rude and nothing like the famous American customer service you hear about so often in England. In short, come to New York! But do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Lilclo

Dear Lilclo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We sincerely apologize that you did not receive superb customer service throughout your stay. I will be sending your comments regarding the cleanliness of our rooms to the Director of Housekeeping so we can look into the situation further. Please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms, which includes brand new furnishings, curtains, wallpaper, etc. Again, we apologize about any inconvenience and hope you will still consider us the next time you are in New York City, to see our improvements.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Spent four nights at this hotel and although the price for the first night was reasonable i wasn't happy with the price for the third and fourth night. The location is nice if you want to be between the the times square, Soho and central park. The rooms are quite wide and clean but really tired. I have been in several Holiday Inns in Europe and this hotel lacks the standard i have seen in Europe. If i was to stay in new your next time i would definitely choose a hotel nearer to Times Square or Brooklyn since it is lively with restaurants, bars and so much fun to do.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawitm

Dear Dawitm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We apologize you found our rooms to be less than perfect, however please know we are currently renovating all of our guest rooms, which will include brand new furnishings, wallpaper, carpeting, and overall decor. Although our location isn't very close to Brooklyn, we are located in a neighborhood known to have an extensive variety of different cuisines and restaurants. Please know we also have a concierge on site 7 days a week, who is always more than happy to help with any recommendations and reservations based on your preferences. We thank you again for your comments, and hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you back to New York City.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Everything was perfect about the hotel. I stayed at more than 5 hotels in New York and one of them was at the Times Square but I think this hotel has better qualities than the one at the Times. It was really clean and the stuff takes good care of your room. They, I mean the stuff is so kind with the customers. One of the pro's of this hotel is that they are giving away the free wifi password when you check in. And what's more is that you can find whatever you want in breakfast. Well what I was trying to tell you guys is that I strongly recommend this hotel :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Zeynepdonmez

Dear Zeynepdonmez,

Thank you so much for your positive comments about the Holiday Inn Midtown! We truly appreciate your feedback and are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The entire staff here at 57th street takes great pride in our property and are always happy to hear when our guests can see that! Thank you again for taking the time to write your review, and we hope to have you as our guest again in the near future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had room 431. This room has a problem with the smoke alarm. As soon as you used the hair dryer, the smoke alarm went off. We stayed there for 5 nights, I had to complain with the front desk 3 times before the service engineer came. He changed the battery, but next day same problem, after another call with front desk, they send up another service engineer, I had to explain the whole story again. He wanted to change he battery, but I told him that was done already ( communication?). he changed the whole unit. Next day same problem, smoke alarm went off without any cause. At last , I decided to take out the battery myself. Upon checkout I reported the smoke alarm problem for the 5th time. Outside the concierge tried to talk us into a much more expensive taxi, because, according to him we had to much luggage. We said we wanted a yellow cab and finally he gave us a bigger cap for the same amount that we wanted to pay ($65, incl tip and tax). All ver annoying. So if you are young to stay in this hotel, do not accept room 431

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank K

Dear Frank K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Please accept our sincerest apologies about the continuing issue you experienced with the smoke alarm in your room. We have passed the incident over to the Chief of Engineering, who will evaluate the issue further. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and my deepest thanks for your time and feedback.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Two people had their car robbed by parking garage employees and Hotel staff said it’s NOT their problem they didn’t offer to call the police to report the theft…They would not assist at ALL…. The hotel itself uses Priceline to advertise free parking yet will NOT honor it. They are also aware it is being advertised as free parking but will not correct it. I know this because the front desk Manager explains this happens all the time but she will NOT honor my confirmation for free parking included. I guess EMPLOYEES think it’s fine to rip off their customers… The hotel staff was horrible, rude, and unprofessional and management is incompetent, I never write reviews but this HOTEL should be shut down, it is SHADY… They take no responsibility for their Nasty rooms, I had two rooms one toilet didn’t work unless you used your foot to hold down rusty handle and waited a minute for it to start to flush…DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS TO THIS HOTEL., I wouldn’t even let the kids or adults take showers. The front desk manager on duty 08/24/13 was the worst manager and should be fired! She was rude unprofessional and was extremely upset that I wouldn’t pay for parking even though I had a confirmation of payment that stated free Parking on it! I cannot be clear enough of how horrible the management is at hotel. From the bathrooms to the staff this hotel failed. The WORST PART is every employee in hotel didn’t feel any responsibility to assist at all unless it was check in and they wanted money from you. Two people got robbed, myself and three other customers had printed out confirmations of free parking yet the hotel manager thought it was ok to NOT honor it and had an attitude that I wouldn’t pay for parking when my confirmation said it was FREE. I have stayed in NYC 9 times and I have never seen such a SHADY place in all of my experience… I DO not recommend staying here…The ONLY reason the manager agreed after an hour to comp the parking was when I had collected a small amount of other customers having the same issue and the crowd was growing. If it was up to me I think this hotel should be shut down…. If they don’t rip you off by their false advertisement they will actually steal your stuff…Don’t stay here Not safe at all from rusty handles and run down dump to awful management.

Room Tip: Dirty bathrooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tammy1221

Dear Tammy1221,

Thank you for your review and giving us the opportunity to learn from your feedback. Please know we take any theft accusations very seriously, and although the parking garage is a separate company with separate ownership, we will be addressing this with their upper management as it is a poor reflection of the customer service we wish to uphold at our property. We will also be calling Priceline regarding this false advertisement; because the parking garage is separate ownership complimentary parking cannot be available, which is properly addressed on our website along with the price. However we understand the frustration and inconvenience you experienced and truly apologize; all comments will be passed to our Executive Office for further inspection. We also are sorry to hear that you did not receive superb customer service throughout your stay; this will be addressed to all personnel, as well as the Director of Housekeeping in regards to the comments you shared about our bathrooms. Again, our deepest apologies.