“Don't Use the CONCIERGE!!!!”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #351 of 466 Hotels in New York City
CH
“Don't Use the CONCIERGE!!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel previously and gave it a very positive review. On my return visit things did not go as smoothly. When we checked into our room we discovered that the WIFI did not work, we called the front-desk and they told us we could change to another room with better WIFI.

However, because we had no WIFI I was not able to go online and purchase tickets for a Broadway Show. There is a concierge desk right at the entrance of the hotel, and I figured I would use their service and give a tip for the help, though I'm usually a self-service kind of guy. The concierge made a big deal about how the show we wanted was super hot and it was going to be tough, but he would do his best. He came back and offered us two choices $189 seats and $289 seats. Now worried that this was the only chance to get into the show of our choice I told him to proceed with the transaction.

About an hour later we were moved to a room with WIFI and I quickly checked the shows website and found that I could get nearly identical seats for $137. I quickly called the concierge to cancel my order and was told that my purchase was non-refundable. This was not mentioned previously. I called the hotel manager for assistance and was told they would take care of it. Next I got a call from the concierge to please come down and talk to him. I figured he was told to apologize and refund my money so I went down to speak with him. Once I went down he tells me that he had told me all along that the ticket price included a $50 broker fee. I told him this was impossible, because I'm not the type of customer that agrees to 40% broker fees. He continued to insist until I asked, "why am I down here, are you going to refund my money or not." He repeated that the purchase was non-refundable.

I went to the front desk and spoke to the manager and asked why the issue had not been resolved. He said that he thought he had resolved it and he would speak to the concierge again. When he returned he told me that he could get me back $20 of the $50 fee, but that that was the maximum refund allowable.

So you may be asking, "how is it that the hotel manager has no control over the concierge." The answer is that the concierge is not an employee of the hotel. It seems they are independent and just using space in the Holiday Inn lobby. I would have never done business with the concierge if I had known they were not part of the hotel. There is nothing that lets you know this, in fact the concierge desk is the first thing you see when you enter the hotel.

We purchased the rest of our tickets through tele-charge and got amazing seats at great prices. I would advise all guests to do the same. The hotel is still a good place to stay, but the experience with the concierge as well as the inability of management to protect guests from being ripped off inside their hotel has ruined this hotel for me.

2 Thank peterjac
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Peterjac

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I will firstly like to thank you for choosing us again as your hotel preference and I sincerely apologize for your experience during your most recent stay. I regret your stay and experiences was not as pleasant this time around and genuinely apologize and regret to hear this dissatisfaction. The concierge is separately owned and primarily works on providing the best seats that the show may have available to offer such as 4 or more rows difference and center wise. If there was any type of misunderstanding I again will like to extend my sincere apologies. I will privately message you to gather further details and hope to resolve this matter as we do appreciate your business.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phillip Island, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

They say that location is everything---well as far as this hotel is concerned, it is! Great location but very tired, old hotel that lacks any genuine feeling of hospitality. Bathrooms in huge need of upgrading, poor catering and poor service by reception staff would ensure we booked another hotel for a New York trip and there are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ozshel
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Ozshel

Thank you for writing your review it's wonderful to know that the location was Great and I sincerely apologize that there seemed to be a lack of Service. I will send you a private message to be able to gather more details and I genuinely apologize for any inconvenience and truly appreciate your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed here for one week and enjoyed an excellent location close to Fordham University city campus and New York Jazz Centre. Get a metro pass and Manhattan is your oyster! Make sure you take advantage of roof top pool for visitors too!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ThriftyScot
Dear ThriftyScot

Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is always a pleasure to hear how great the location is and great to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We hope to see you soon again.

Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were in the North Tower, which was old and in need of renovation, but at least our room which faced across to the South Tower was lovely and quiet (except for some of the other guests on our floor). The room was adequate, the standard of house-keeping seemed to vary from not very good when we first arrived (the coffee bag from the previous guest was still in the coffee maker) to excellent by the time we left after 7 days. The staff that we came across were friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay pleasant. The best thing about this hotel was its location - not far from Columbus Circle, Central Park and a couple of underground stations, with shops and some reasonable eating places nearby.

Room Tip: Choose an inward facing room for quiet. Also try to get a room on a lower floor as it is very diffi...
Dear Micki M

Thank you for writing your review and thank you so much for mentioning the staff is friendly and helpful, we are very happy to hear that made your stay pleasant. I sincerely apologize for the coffee bag and will inform the Housekeeping Director as mentioned. The great news to share is that we are currently renovating and it includes new furniture, lamps, wallpaper, fixtures and we hope after the renovation is complete to see you soon again.

Cambridge
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very well located hotel.

The room was very clean and the bathroom fine.

The restaurant on site was well priced and provided a good selection for breakfast.

I was worried about the noise on the street given the location; but it was absolutely fine, I didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank OrianeCambridge
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Oriane Cambridge

Thank you for taking the time to write your review it is such a pleasure to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Midtown.

Sincerely
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Hotel is located 5 minutes from central park, very comfortable and pleasant staff.
Nice restaurants around, has an excellent pool and rooms are very spacious.
extremely high standard of Holiday Inn different from what is the usual standard

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Albert M
Dear Albert M

Thank you for your wonderful review, we are very happy to hear your stay was comfortable and thank you so much for mentioning how pleasant the staff is, it's always a pleasure to hear and share the feedback with the staff.

Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have been several places in the world and stayed in a many hotels and Hostels. This by far has to be the the worst stay I had any where. A/C never worked even after Engineering worked on it. The Restaurant has a all you can eat bar. I am sorry, but I doubt sows would eat some of that. Fruit was green, pancakes and french toast was dry, and on and on and on. The Bell staff was rude and argumentative, and the Manager was rude and argumentative as also. I tried to bring some things to her attention and she not once apologized or acted sincere. She kept asking me in an angry voice, "what do you want me to do about it". Well, your the manager, figure it out and fix it, i dont get paid to fix your problems. Oh, dont sit on the floor, you will get yelled at and told to sit in a chair, even if all the chairs are taken. Oh, you can smoke in the doorway to the Hotel because we had to smell it every time we came in.

Room Tip: Bring your own AC. There is a sopt down the block where you can sleep with the homeless people and...
4 Thank Slinginglead
Dear Slinginglead

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and kindly ask if you can please e-mail us at mail@hi57.com so that we can gather more details.

I hope to hear from you soon and again I sincerely apologize your stay was less than pleasant.