“Great location, great price, tired decor”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #357 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very difficult to knock this Midtown hotel. The staff were excellent, extremely helpful and courteous. The hotel has a swimming pool, gym, bar, giftshop and reception.

We did not eat in the hotel so I can not comment, but the gym, giftshop, pool and bar were good and unexpected from a hotel in this price range and location.

The room was large and a new 40" TV was a welcome sight and sign of the apparent impending refurbishment. It does need it as it is dated and a little dank in places. However aside from a few negative bits this is a good hotel at a decent price.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jasmin O, Front Office Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your review and we greatly appreciate your positive feedback with the service provided. It's something our staff takes great pride in, so we appreciate your feedback. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and the facilities/ammenities. Next time you return to our hotel, be sure to check out the restaurants menu for some great food options which is delicious! The Great news is that we are currently renovating and we are excited for your future stay review when the full renovation is complete.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz, Front Services Manager

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night. The location is very good, hotel is clean, and the beds comfortable. Food and drinks in the lounge were also good. Just a couple of criticisms. There are no blackout curtains - just the light gauze type of curtains - the others don't close. So, you can't have a darkened room to sleep. Also, the lounge cannot give you a normal itemized receipt that are standard for claiming business expenses. They finally had to go photocopy the server's notes. I found that very strange in this chain hotel to not be able to get something so standard.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lyncar

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your positive comments regarding location, cleanliness and comfortable beds. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the Food and drinks in the lounge. I am sorry to hear about the black out curtains, I will inform the Housekeeping Department to ensure all rooms black outs are there and easily accessible. Your feedback is important to us and we greatly appreciate it, your comments regarding an itemized bill will be shared with our Food and Beverage Director.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope when you are traveling back to NYC we see you again.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed for two nights for a 3-day wedding event. I made a one night reservation and then later added a night - but computer could not do that so I had two one-night reservations. Clerks wanted us to change room from night to night. It took 15 hours to fix the reservation utilizing three clerks. While waiting I heard a little old lady complain about the lack of heat (it had been turned off for the season) and the clerk responded, "Nothing I can do about it." (what? no extra blankets in the hotel or warmer room). Next day at check-in desk I heard a foreign man with two small children ask about the excessive noise coming from the hotel room plumbing making it difficult to sleep and the clerk said, "All rooms are like that." No one to investigate if there was an issue as the NY had turned off the water the night before - this could've a problem. My room (801) was large with a tiny bathroom which needed "soft focus" to get through a shower. There was no light fixture near the door so it was difficult to see the key into the slot. Breakfast was quick, but reading the fine print on the menu you saw that tax and tip were included - not clear on bill. I just felt that I was being taken advantage of. Holiday Inn should be like McDonald's - you know what you are getting when you step in the door. This was not the case in the Midtown Holiday Inn. On the plus side ALL of the hotel cleaning staff were friendly, happy and very helpful!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Chicagoehc

Thank you for taking the time to write about your comments. I am sorry to hear that you had less than a pleasant stay due to the change of rooms and information being provided to our guest such as yourself during your stay. Your feedback is appreciated and matter of concern will be looked into and again I sincerely appreciate your feedback and will review with the staff in order to avoid a similar experience. Thank you to include that on the positive side all the hotel cleaning staff were friendly, happy and very helpful as it is always a pleasure to hear such positive feedback and it will be shared with the housekeeping staff.

Jasmin Ortiz-Cruz Front Services Manager

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've stayed five different weeks in New York for work over the last year; three different times at Holiday Inns and at least 5 other hotels. This location has been the worst of my last two years of traveling for work. The staff was unprofessional and indifferent. The room didn't have heating even though the temperature at night was 45 degrees. I was told because of the mild temperature during the last few days. But other hotels provided heating. The TV remote control did not work. The area behind the lamp stand, phone, and clock was extremely full of dust. So much so that when I tried to plug my cell and iPad I started coughing from the dust. The corner lamp did not work. There was a hair pin on the floor. The TV pops up w/Holiday Inn commercials while watching TV. The customer service was no good. They only reacted after I was upset. Their computers don't show an email address on record unlike the other hotel chains. When I left I asked for my receipt to be emailed but it was never sent. The person at the front desk didn't know that their computers are not capable of doing that (I called later to ask for the receipt). I was going to stay 5 nights but left after the second one. I was never told the credit card was going to have a hold for the entire stay for a few days. I didn't know this because I had never left a hotel early. By far the worst experience. I stayed at other hotels. They all had heating.
I spoke w/at least two Managers. They were unprofessional and had no tact. I was too tired to write names and frustrated over my credit card situation that I even forgot to ask for their names. Since there are a lot of choices for hotels, I will go out of my way to not stay at Holiday Inns in the future.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Julio C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to New York.

Orlando A.
Case Manager

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent four night,s at this hotel in April,and I was very pleased.The staff were very nice and helpful even when they were very busy, and that was most of the time.There was a lovely black security man,who let us use his phone when we had a problem using the public phone.The room,s were cleaned on a daily basis and the beds were very comfortable.I will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Time,s square view,exceptional at night.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I tried to find nice things to say regarding our stay at this hotel, so after we left it in the morning to go sight seeing it was great, good location. Coming back at the end of the day you are always hit by the smell in the lobby & disgusting old carpet. The lifts take forever & the rooms are just bearable to stay in. No fridge! No hot water the morning we left! Old and in desperate need of renovations. Defitely would not recommend this hotel, I won't stay here again. Sorry.....

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Astikuta,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Despite the challenges you faced I was pleased to note that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Location - upper W midtown Manhattan, just a few blocks from Central Park, a little further walk to Times Square. But can walk almost anywhere or a short subway or cab ride. Great location!
Room - a little musty-smelling and tired-looking but clean. A small room and small bathroom but a big plus was the strong shower spray! The room faced the rooftop of a low-rise building so it was very quiet. Double beds were comfortable. No fridge in room though.
Hotel - worn, tired carpet almost throughout lobby and also musty-smelling. This place could definitely use a makeover. Liked the security in the late evening where we had to show our room card upon entering the hotel.
Amenities/ restaurant - did not have a chance to check any of this out as we were just there to sleep.
Value - got a decent deal for this Manhattan location 3* hotel using Priceline. Would stay here again for the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank the_lowdown
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear the_lowdown,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are delighted to read you liked our location, however, we regret falling short of your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and we will use these to monitor and improve our product and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D