“Worst hotel in New York” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St

Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St
Ranked #339 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Dallas, Texas
“Worst hotel in New York”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've stayed five different weeks in New York for work over the last year; three different times at Holiday Inns and at least 5 other hotels. This location has been the worst of my last two years of traveling for work. The staff was unprofessional and indifferent. The room didn't have heating even though the temperature at night was 45 degrees. I was told because of the mild temperature during the last few days. But other hotels provided heating. The TV remote control did not work. The area behind the lamp stand, phone, and clock was extremely full of dust. So much so that when I tried to plug my cell and iPad I started coughing from the dust. The corner lamp did not work. There was a hair pin on the floor. The TV pops up w/Holiday Inn commercials while watching TV. The customer service was no good. They only reacted after I was upset. Their computers don't show an email address on record unlike the other hotel chains. When I left I asked for my receipt to be emailed but it was never sent. The person at the front desk didn't know that their computers are not capable of doing that (I called later to ask for the receipt). I was going to stay 5 nights but left after the second one. I was never told the credit card was going to have a hold for the entire stay for a few days. I didn't know this because I had never left a hotel early. By far the worst experience. I stayed at other hotels. They all had heating.
I spoke w/at least two Managers. They were unprofessional and had no tact. I was too tired to write names and frustrated over my credit card situation that I even forgot to ask for their names. Since there are a lot of choices for hotels, I will go out of my way to not stay at Holiday Inns in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Julio C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to New York.

Orlando A.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent four night,s at this hotel in April,and I was very pleased.The staff were very nice and helpful even when they were very busy, and that was most of the time.There was a lovely black security man,who let us use his phone when we had a problem using the public phone.The room,s were cleaned on a daily basis and the beds were very comfortable.I will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Time,s square view,exceptional at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

I tried to find nice things to say regarding our stay at this hotel, so after we left it in the morning to go sight seeing it was great, good location. Coming back at the end of the day you are always hit by the smell in the lobby & disgusting old carpet. The lifts take forever & the rooms are just bearable to stay in. No fridge! No hot water the morning we left! Old and in desperate need of renovations. Defitely would not recommend this hotel, I won't stay here again. Sorry.....

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Astikuta,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory.

The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas, We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Despite the challenges you faced I was pleased to note that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

Regards,

Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Location - upper W midtown Manhattan, just a few blocks from Central Park, a little further walk to Times Square. But can walk almost anywhere or a short subway or cab ride. Great location!
Room - a little musty-smelling and tired-looking but clean. A small room and small bathroom but a big plus was the strong shower spray! The room faced the rooftop of a low-rise building so it was very quiet. Double beds were comfortable. No fridge in room though.
Hotel - worn, tired carpet almost throughout lobby and also musty-smelling. This place could definitely use a makeover. Liked the security in the late evening where we had to show our room card upon entering the hotel.
Amenities/ restaurant - did not have a chance to check any of this out as we were just there to sleep.
Value - got a decent deal for this Manhattan location 3* hotel using Priceline. Would stay here again for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank the_lowdown
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear the_lowdown,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are delighted to read you liked our location, however, we regret falling short of your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and we will use these to monitor and improve our product and services we offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Connie D
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

So, first of all, my room was $333/night - which was flat-out highway robbery! I guess they can get away with that in the Big Apple, but anywhere else this would have been an $89/night room. Very basic, very plain, actually quite shabby (peeling paint on the ceiling, exposed plumbing on the toilet, tiny bathroom), no fridge, no microwave - and I got a 3rd floor room with a view of the workers fixing a roof below me - the property is undergoing remodeling. The housekeeping was sketchy - the in-room coffee was not re-supplied, and the dishes from room service breakfast were still there when I got back that evening. But, the location is great - walking distance to Central Park and Times Square - and the lounge was terrific, with friendly and attentive bar staff. (Speaking of which, every Holiday Inn employee that I encountered was very friendly and helpful.) The on-site restaurant was also very satisfactory. A parking garage is adjacent to the hotel, so that also was very convenient. In conclusion, if you have the money and room ambiance isn't particularly important to you, it's a perfectly servicable place to stay in NYC.

Room Tip: A higher floor with a view would help make up for the shabbiness of the room itself.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Midtown / 57th St, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear LiftLady,

Ben J
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The hotel is located a fair way from the cities main attractions, but having been to New York many times, it was nice to be in a different area. There are plenty of interesting and diverse restaurants that give the area a real local New York feel. The hotel rooms are quite big, unusual for ny, and the beds are comfortable, there is a very good bar, with very good service. However, the main reception staff seem to be almost all Eastern European who spoke with strong accents and didn't seem to know the city at all. The concierges were extremely unfriendly and all seemed to wish they were somewhere else. But, hey, that's New York City, get used to it. To conclude, it's a good place to stay, I've stayed at worse places in New York City.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in Holiday Inn Midtown / 57 th street from 17 Apr to 21 Apr 2013. We found that the location is excellent for walking down to Central Park, Carnegie Hall concerts, Lincoln Theater,Museums, Times Square, Metro connections ( JFK and other areas as well), prime sight seeing attractions in Manhattan. We in fact walked almost 5 to 6 miles every day exploring all aspects of Manhattan by day and night. Visiting Central Park to view the sunrise and visiting Times Square at midnight to view the Neon lights! This is possible from this location. Breakfast and Lunch cafes are available very close to the hotel. We never visited hotel cafe or pool. Our two double bedded room was clean, spacious and comfortable. It was on fourth floor facing the road. It was quiet and had a good view of the road. We would have preferred a higher floor though. Lifts sometimes had a wait period due to heavy traffic. But that is fine. We could rest well in the hotel after a hectic tour of Manhattan each day. The staff was very courteous specially Jasna, Elisabeth, Kelong, Jimmy and Tomor. They gave us a stretched limo for our airport transfer at the same cost ( though we had booked an SUV). That was really a great surprise for us. All in all the hotel and Manhattan were a great experience to relish and visit to again ans stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, room with a view of New York city life is better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family