“good experience”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #349 of 468 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
glasgow
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have to say that I have no negatives to say about this hotel, staff were really helpful and friendly. Rooms were good size and spotless. Location was great,plenty of restaurants roundabout. One of my party left her mobile in a taxi, the taxi driver returned it! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank shennyi
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on this, our first visit to NYC. We found the hotel to be in a good position for access to all the city had to offer. The check in was swift and staff seemed nice. Our room was very big and although on the street side, road noise was minimal. Yes ok, rooms and areas could do with updating but on the whole very good. Bar staff especially Ben were good. Lovely night porter called Jimmy very helpful too. Only downside was quality of breakfast. Felt pushed into the buffet which was more than disappointing. We would stay there again though

1 Thank Danni P
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This place is a very good value for the location. If you want to be close to things, and be safe at night without spending your entire life savings this is a good choice. This place is walking distance to Times Square, Columbus Circle/Time Warner Center, 5th Avenue Shopping, and The Downtown Boathouse on the Hudson where they have free kayaking. The rooms are enormous for the city, but at little run down. However, they are currently renovating. Everyone there was really friendly, and I left my wallet in the room when we checked out, and I called, and the maid had found it and turned it in. I got it back with everything in it, including the cash. Overall I'd say I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank meowzeroni
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just stayed two nights at the Holiday Inn Midtown, got a great price via Priceline NYOP. Room was a bit dated, but large by NY standards, and facing the inner courtyard was very quiet at night. I had minimal interaction with staff but everyone I spoke with was courteous and helpful. I ate breakfast one morning at the Gotham Cafe in the lobby, food, service, and price were acceptable but I really hate the practice of including gratuity on the check. I can see it for a large group, but for a solo check, I would have left more than their figure if I'd done it myself.
I have only two complaints, one minor, would a bit more major. The minor one was having to walk through a cloud of smoke almost everytime I left or entered the hotel. The hotel needs to offer a patio or something for smokers, having them all hanging around the front door was disgusting.
The one thing that would probably keep me from staying there again was proximity to the subway. The nearest entrance was at the SW corner of 7th Avenue and 57th Street, two very long blocks away, and once you went underground, you still had to walk a city block to the turnstiles. Perhaps it was because it was very cold during my stay that it annoyed me, but every other place I've stayed in the city was closer than this. I'm very used to and okay with lots of walking while in NY, I just like my hotel being closer to a station.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Scott S
ashburn va
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has its act together. The staff at the desk, the bellmen, concierge were welcoming and eager to please. The rooms were large by any standard but much, much larger than I have experienced at my previous 3 hotels in New York. They kept our luggage for free so we could enjoy the day before our bus left. Stay here if you can.

Room Tip: avoid ajoining rooms and go for a corner room on the upper floor to reduce noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I wish there was a setting between 2 and 3 stars.
The good part of my stay was the hotel location and my room. The room was clean and updated.
But that is about all that the hotel had going for it. The room was pretty loud, not from outside city noise, but from the rooms around me. My business collegaue was not so lucky, all they had left were smoking rooms. His entire wardrobe stunk of smoke for the entire length of the trip. There were many people at the front desk complaining about the smoking rooms.

The worst part of the stay was the really pushy staff. They were incredably rude and demanding. they would grab your hand to help you take a step up and want money. It was very uncomfortable. not only were they pushy and very rude, they were always trying to make deals. For one example; I wanted to take a cab and they said they had a car and for cash they would take me where i wanted, i said I only had credit card and then they started to negociate with me. It was awkard and un professional. And on multiple times you would enter the lobby to find 5 or 6 bellhops standing around like used car sales men, ready to pounce on you for something.

Over all I do not think i would stay here again. The price was expensive (it is NYC after all), but fair for the location. Don't even think of driving or parking as the cost was be so great.

i understand that this is a big city hotel and that some of the expectations are different, but I have stayed in better places that were far more professional.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BaronMIke
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear BaronMIke,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and the noise during your stay. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.