“Decent Holiday”

Ranked #350 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Decent Holiday”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed recently at Holiday Inn midtown. Very clean, nice rooms, nice breakfast. Reception staff could do with abit of training, not unpleasant but not exactly friendlly/welcoming - although it was very busy so maybe they were just fed-up! And we had just come from San Francisco where everyone seemed extremely friendly. But I think it was good value for money and good location. Walkable to a subway and to central park so I would certainly stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aprilmb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
SoCal
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Personally, I find the location of this hotel to be perfect. It is in a relatively residential neighborhood, which means there are good small restaurants all around and the subway is about 3-4 blocks away (it is a major subway terminal and you can get anywhere easily). You can walk to Central Park and enjoy the best of the city from a vacation getaway perspective. The hotel itself is a little dated, but they are in the process of planning an upgrade to all the rooms. For the price, I was able to look past some of the things that need attention. We always enjoy a nightcap and surprisingly the bar always had a decent late night crowd. The bartenders make nice drinks and their cheesecake is fantastic. I am generally the type that uses my hotel room to sleep and change clothes, so all of the little amenities and perks people look for really do not matter to me. If you are the type of person that likes to spend a lot of time in your room, enjoy room service, etc, then stay somewhere else and pay a lot more money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
bangalore
Reviewed January 22, 2013

For the price they charge, you can't expect anything more in Manhattan. We were there for a convention, so only used the hotel for sleeping and breakfast. Did the job, although the wifi was flaky at times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Perry Hall, Maryland, United States
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I did not have a good impression when first checked in. We had a very stuffy guy who did not seemed to listen to anything I was saying. We just wanted our rooms together or adjoining. They were not. I had put in the request ahead of time. He told me I would then have to wait. I said it was okay and took what he offered.; He then showed attitude! Rooms were clean but bathrooms needed updating. The positive side is the information desk people were amazing. Very helpful and friendly. A real pleasure.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Kimberly H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I can assure you that your comfort and satisfaction are of utmost importance to us and for that please accept my sincere apologies if your stay was negatively affected by the service you received from our hotel. I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest satisfaction.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
West Bay, Grand Cayman
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I'll begin with the Pros then the Cons.
I stayed at the Holiday Inn for the weekend, as I was on a class trip. We arrived to the hotel at around 11, and the staff were very helpful in getting us all to our rooms as quickly as possible.
Considering this is a Holiday Inn, I was very pleased with the room. I shared with 1 girl and we had more than enough space, especially considering it is a New York Hotel. We had a flat screen TV and the beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small, but it was to be expected for New York. There is also a shop downstairs that stays open until 12 (very convenient if you're like me and forget your toothpaste). The location of the hotel is great. There is a starbucks about a 3 minute walk away. It is 5 minutes from Central park and about 8 from Times Square.
The room was nice, however they do need alot of TLC.

The inside of the closet seemed to be falling apart, and the toilet would not flush when we arrived. We called the front desk and someone arrived within 15 minutes. The water in the shower was always hot, although pressure was a bit of an issue. I'd also say the walls are very thin which might affect you greatly if you're a light sleeper, but it wasn't that bad for me. I would ask for a room on a LOW floor. The elevator was slightly frightening for me, as it semeed it could stop at any moment and a classmate of mine actually said she was stuck in it for a few minutes one evening.

I can't speak of room rates as my school booked the trip however, all in all you come to NY for the city not the hotel. I would definitley come back and/or reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lincolnshire
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I expect to feel welcome upon arrival and 1st impressions really count. The reception team just dont cut the mustard. The cleaning staff put them to shame: friendly...warm...go that extra mile to help....concierge staff-very helpful....the staff create the atmosphere and this needs addressing during revamp! Cold rooms luke warm water locked windows shabby bathrooms.....oh and back to the staff as I remember the abrupt blonde host dressed in scruffy attire ready to pounce on guests inbetween supping coffee and gossiping with another I presume member of staff....no uniform and yet not a manager....not very professional.
Location might be great but it'll take more than a fancy make-over to convince me this hotel can be great.....apologise all you like on the wall Im paying for this hotel NOW!

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear cyonce777,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because our staff did not meet your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 21, 2013

It's a Holiday Inn in Manhattan...this is not a four-star hotel. With that said, it was comfy and clean. Rooms show a little wear in places but, given how busy this place is, I'm surprised it looks as nice as it does. It's strange location, but it is close (walking distance) to Lincoln Center, Broadway, Times Square, Intrepid Museum and Carnegie Hall (to name a few places). Not alot of great restaurants nearby, although there is a fantastic place on 9th called Kashkaval. I was amazed at the friendliness of the staff. I was there with an elementary school choir and the staff was so nice and solicitous. If I was in Manhattan with kids, I would definitely consider staying there again. If I'm solo, I'll go someplace a little more hip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family