“Great location, decent price”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #352 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We normally stay at a Hilton (for member rewards) when we travel, however, on our recent trip, all available Hilton hotels were priced at $350 and up so we shopped around for a cheaper alternative but still a brand hotel that we have heard of which should avoid any unpleasant surprises. So we ended up at the Holiday Inn Midtown. No question, the location is the best thing about this hotel and the price of less than $250. Like most recent reviewers, we found the rooms essentially clean but in need of redoing, especially the mold in the bathroom needs attending to. However, we were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room - for NYC standards it was huge. Another big plus was the free wi-fi, both in rooms and in the lobby. We had no issue with customer service - my husband to be forgot his razor and a replacement was brought up within 5 minutes of calling the front desk. Another plus for the hotel is a very nice hotel bar downstairs - overpriced, as all hotel bars are, but pleasant and handy for a night cap after a long day in the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Watson Hotel

Reviewed November 13, 2012

The bedbugs were not as bad as the staff's non-reaction and overall terrible attitudes. We could live with tired old rooms for $250 but seriously EVERY aspect of the staff there was terrible. Yes, we have several of our group get bug bites.
STAY away , what a terrible place.

Room Tip: Run, do not stay here
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank CWinstin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear CWinstin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received and your overall experience at our property. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Overall quite clean and tidy, our room was in dire need of a renovation, same as some other reviews, wall paper has come loose, mouldy walls, fire hazard curtains, and a lousy view, but really in NY it's only a place to catch some Zzz's and for that its very good value for location, wouldn't have stayed so close to Central Park normally but came for marathon (cancelled!) staying for a couple more nights at the end of the month as paid for, but if hadnt paid might not have chosen again. Staff were rude, not sure if that was because they had been affected by hurricane sandy and we were the "inconsiderate" marathon tourists!? (Like the hurricane was our fault!) but overall ok place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank cherry_cools
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have travelled for 5 weeks in the USA in sept/oct and stayed in 4 other holiday inns varying from 1 night to 12 nights and I must say I was very unimpressed by this hotel. It started on arrival. With 2 kids, 4 suitcases plus carry on luggage, not one staff member offered assistance with getting our bags to our room. Then we arrived in our room to the most awful damp smelling room. We opened windows and ducked down to the pharmacy to purchase air freshner. This did not help. I eventually brought it to the attention of reception staff, who offered me a can of air freshner, and the POSSIBILITY of changing rooms the following day. As you can imagine I did not want the hassle of repacking bags the next day and changing rooms when we had so much to see in New York in the time we were there. Even then there was no possibility of getting another room.

We ate in the restaurant one night and it was like being in a morgue. No smiles from anyone and the staff stood around using their mobile phones or sat at a spare table reading the newspaper.

The day we checked out we had even more luggage than when we arrived and at no stage once we were in the lobby were we offered any assistance with getting our bags outside.

The guy at the concierge desk was the most helpful of anyone in the hotel.

While New York was the best part if my 5 week USA adventure, I will not stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Baybey
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 11/8-11/11/12. Upon arrival, check-in was handled efficiently and in a friendly, hospitable manner by front desk staff. I was on my way to my room within 10 minutes, which included waiting my turn in line. I do not understand the reviews of those who were disappointed in this hotel. It is nice and well-kept. My room was not only pleasant and clean, but it was decorated nicely and even in a contemporary way, in spite of the hotel's information that rooms would be updated in 2013. No complaints! Housekeeping staff was very attentive and good, and I commend them for their work and friendliness. All staff with whom I interacted were professional and have clearly been through excellent training. I met the owner of the hotel in the elevator one evening and we carried on a short, fun conversation. This hotel is actually in a pretty perfect location just four blocks from Columbus Circle and Central Park, an easy 15-minute walk from Times Square and the theater district and, maybe most satisfyingly, in a bit of a quiet neighborhood just blocks from the Hudson River with plenty of local diners, Starbucks and markets within two blocks.

I would return to this hotel easily and, next time I am in NYC, quite likely will. The rating for this hotel is appropriate. It does not present greatly luxurious amenities, but it is also not a low-end hotel by any means. It is very comfortable and will suit most travelers very nicely. I was in town for a conference.

Room Tip: North Tower room on floor 17 offered nice views and quiet nights.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The ease of check in and the overall room comfort was pleasant and to be expected of a Holiday Inn. A couple of things which are not uncommon in NY hotels. The air conditioning didn't work. When the desk was called they informed that the system had been changed over for the winter and heat was all that was provided. Luckily the windows cracked open and although there was street noise we could be comfortable. Also the shower leaked rather profusely. We reported it twice as there was a good deal of water being wasted which is always troubling. It was not fixed and is probably still leaking.
Good location, near the Park, museums and transportation. We walked almost everywhere as it was easy to do so.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RebeccaMaine
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were victims of 2012 HURRICANE SANDY. And when our niece saved us by allowing us to CRASH a room that Her employer proceed fir her we were forever greatful. She had a room with a king size bed and spacious sitting area. We all crashed in the floor and the kids took the bed. Shower was clean. And i liked that te sinks were outside the room. Very clean. We know from my previous review I'm a freak about cleanliness. We had good room service and meals and slept good. In the second night, her boss hooked us up with a discounted room of 270( not bad for 57th street nyc. At a 199.99 rate. PERFECT. We had another night of safety. The room was clean and warm with 2 immaculately done beds (brand new sheets). The only thing was there was no hot water due to that witch SANDY. NP Couldn't ask for anything more.
I do know however this was not one if the renovated rooms. Those must be spectacular. I am greatful to our niece her boss and the holiday inn!

• Stayed: November 2012