“Why is this still a Holiday Inn?”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #353 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Del Mar, California
“Why is this still a Holiday Inn?”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The bedbugs were not as bad as the staff's non-reaction and overall terrible attitudes. We could live with tired old rooms for $250 but seriously EVERY aspect of the staff there was terrible. Yes, we have several of our group get bug bites.
STAY away , what a terrible place.

Room Tip: Run, do not stay here
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank CWinstin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear CWinstin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received and your overall experience at our property. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Overall quite clean and tidy, our room was in dire need of a renovation, same as some other reviews, wall paper has come loose, mouldy walls, fire hazard curtains, and a lousy view, but really in NY it's only a place to catch some Zzz's and for that its very good value for location, wouldn't have stayed so close to Central Park normally but came for marathon (cancelled!) staying for a couple more nights at the end of the month as paid for, but if hadnt paid might not have chosen again. Staff were rude, not sure if that was because they had been affected by hurricane sandy and we were the "inconsiderate" marathon tourists!? (Like the hurricane was our fault!) but overall ok place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank cherry_cools
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have travelled for 5 weeks in the USA in sept/oct and stayed in 4 other holiday inns varying from 1 night to 12 nights and I must say I was very unimpressed by this hotel. It started on arrival. With 2 kids, 4 suitcases plus carry on luggage, not one staff member offered assistance with getting our bags to our room. Then we arrived in our room to the most awful damp smelling room. We opened windows and ducked down to the pharmacy to purchase air freshner. This did not help. I eventually brought it to the attention of reception staff, who offered me a can of air freshner, and the POSSIBILITY of changing rooms the following day. As you can imagine I did not want the hassle of repacking bags the next day and changing rooms when we had so much to see in New York in the time we were there. Even then there was no possibility of getting another room.

We ate in the restaurant one night and it was like being in a morgue. No smiles from anyone and the staff stood around using their mobile phones or sat at a spare table reading the newspaper.

The day we checked out we had even more luggage than when we arrived and at no stage once we were in the lobby were we offered any assistance with getting our bags outside.

The guy at the concierge desk was the most helpful of anyone in the hotel.

While New York was the best part if my 5 week USA adventure, I will not stay in this hotel again.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Baybey

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Baxter, MN
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from 11/8-11/11/12. Upon arrival, check-in was handled efficiently and in a friendly, hospitable manner by front desk staff. I was on my way to my room within 10 minutes, which included waiting my turn in line. I do not understand the reviews of those who were disappointed in this hotel. It is nice and well-kept. My room was not only pleasant and clean, but it was decorated nicely and even in a contemporary way, in spite of the hotel's information that rooms would be updated in 2013. No complaints! Housekeeping staff was very attentive and good, and I commend them for their work and friendliness. All staff with whom I interacted were professional and have clearly been through excellent training. I met the owner of the hotel in the elevator one evening and we carried on a short, fun conversation. This hotel is actually in a pretty perfect location just four blocks from Columbus Circle and Central Park, an easy 15-minute walk from Times Square and the theater district and, maybe most satisfyingly, in a bit of a quiet neighborhood just blocks from the Hudson River with plenty of local diners, Starbucks and markets within two blocks.

I would return to this hotel easily and, next time I am in NYC, quite likely will. The rating for this hotel is appropriate. It does not present greatly luxurious amenities, but it is also not a low-end hotel by any means. It is very comfortable and will suit most travelers very nicely. I was in town for a conference.

Room Tip: North Tower room on floor 17 offered nice views and quiet nights.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Harpswell, Maine
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The ease of check in and the overall room comfort was pleasant and to be expected of a Holiday Inn. A couple of things which are not uncommon in NY hotels. The air conditioning didn't work. When the desk was called they informed that the system had been changed over for the winter and heat was all that was provided. Luckily the windows cracked open and although there was street noise we could be comfortable. Also the shower leaked rather profusely. We reported it twice as there was a good deal of water being wasted which is always troubling. It was not fixed and is probably still leaking.
Good location, near the Park, museums and transportation. We walked almost everywhere as it was easy to do so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RebeccaMaine
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We were victims of 2012 HURRICANE SANDY. And when our niece saved us by allowing us to CRASH a room that Her employer proceed fir her we were forever greatful. She had a room with a king size bed and spacious sitting area. We all crashed in the floor and the kids took the bed. Shower was clean. And i liked that te sinks were outside the room. Very clean. We know from my previous review I'm a freak about cleanliness. We had good room service and meals and slept good. In the second night, her boss hooked us up with a discounted room of 270( not bad for 57th street nyc. At a 199.99 rate. PERFECT. We had another night of safety. The room was clean and warm with 2 immaculately done beds (brand new sheets). The only thing was there was no hot water due to that witch SANDY. NP Couldn't ask for anything more.
I do know however this was not one if the renovated rooms. Those must be spectacular. I am greatful to our niece her boss and the holiday inn!

• Stayed November 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This conveniently located (near the theater district and not too far from Central Park and the Lincoln Center) and reasonably priced hotel will meet (and prbably not exceed) your expectations. Our room was ready early, of reasonable size, and was quite clean. Based on these factors, including price and location, we would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple