“close to everything you need for a stay in NYC”
Review of The Watson Hotel

The Watson Hotel
Ranked #352 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Really good location, close to central park and within walking distance of Times Square. Not cheap to stay in. the hotel itself is good. as you would expect in NY rooms were small. ours was near the lift shaft which if you are a light sleeper the noise of the lifts going up and down will drive you nuts. we managed to live with it. for me the air conditioning in the huge reception/bar area was way too cold and really offputting. Front desk staff were really helpful even allowed me to access my emails on one of their computers.

Dont bother using the computers in the bar to get onto the internet they are useless. I didnt manage to get on line and my money was used up and as i was walking away really annoyed about the the person sitting next to me had exactly the same problem.

Room Tip: get a room away from the lifts.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank powerIreland
There are newer reviews for The Watson Hotel

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel twice. It is not in Times Square tourist central, which is the great thing about it. If you want that, it's really close. In fact, it's really close to everything in NY, all the boroughs if you take into account it's proximity to the Columbus Circle and 57th St. stations. You can subway from LaGuardia and JFK airports as well. if you don't mind a little walking- if you do, the ubiquitous NYC cabs are happy to take you.
People have said it's in an off neighborhood with nothing around, I beg to differ. There are diners, bodegas that deliver, little grocery stores, bars- dry cleaners, hair salons- whatever you need, if you just go look for it. And if it's not there, it's a very close cab or subway. There's even a Whole Foods at the TimeWarner building up the street- I'm not the biggest Whole Foods fan, but what don't they sell? At this one, anyway. Hit the Morning Star diner- they are nice folks.
57th St. is, historically, a neighborhood where all the people who work on Broadway live, as well as others in the performance arts. This is less true now, with Manhattan real estate being what it is- but the more successful among them still do own apartments on 57th.
This Holiday Inn has very spacious rooms for Manhattan. They have very comfy beds. Although I am singing it's praises, they get one notch down, so here it goes.
I had issues with the air conditioning. This probably won't matter that much if you aren't there in the concrete-baking midst of July and August in Manhattan. It honestly wasn't bad enough to matter at any other time, but at this point, it did. I reported to staff that I was miserable. They came and changed very full filter- so full, that it made me wonder why they hadn't done it before. It helped, but wasn't a total relief.
They also have bathroom fixtures that I can swear are from 1963. In one case they worked fine, in another, they were iffy.
Although the bathroom is large and comfortable, why, oh why Holiday Inn, can you not use some of that space to provide people a place to put stuck? Anything would be welcome- a small counter, clothes hooks, just ANYTHING! Cool that you have such a spacious shower room right there in Midtown- uncool that you have to throw all your stuff on the floor.
And seriously, what's up with the high school institutional toilets? I could swear that these toilets are from PS247 in Flushing, Queens. They are temperamental. They are LOUD. I've stayed there for a week at a time more than once, so I got the hang of it- but woe unto the one or two night guest- you'll never figure out "the trick"!

To be fair, they are doing massive renovations to the property, and I have always stayed in the older rooms. These things may or may not be improving with renovations- I do not know. They were very fair the last time- they gave us a card that that spelled out that we were in the un-modernized part of the hotel, and they apologized for any inconvenience that might entail. Fair enough.

User reviews seem to be complaining about staff and level of service. I personally don't have complaints, but I will say that it can be a bit strange. Let's just say that staff is very multicultural, and along with that comes varying ideas about customer service. You will find that everywhere in NYC (and any other city, really). It makes of a catch as catch can situation- my experience with this place is the catch has been pretty good. They will be kind to you, even if they don't quite understand why you are asking.
They were very nice and accommodating, and although there are glitches, I think it has to do with less than cohesive management. I can tell the management is pretty darn good, but I can also tell that it's impossible with the flow of staff to be perfect all the time. Sadly, that's just a fact in our modern world- service industry people used to stay at their jobs for years, now it's months or weeks.
One feature of this place is the rooftop pool. You want to avail yourself of this! Great scene, for kids and adults alike. They have a pool bar (I never did partake, but it looked fun!). They also DO NOT have a kiddie pool- keep in mind, it's pretty old school with a deep drop off and a diving board. Just divine, with the classic NYC view- you DO want to go there! Everybody from 3 to about 95 was having fun here- nobody cares what you look like, just go up there and have a ball!

They also have a gym, it's pretty good. If you're looking for a "spa experience", this may not be the place, but if you are maintaining physical therapy that you must do, they have all that.

I haven't had experience with room service in it's full extent, but I did need a salad and bread, really simple things, and I would say they were more than generous on that account.

All in all, great hotel in Midtown! The rack rates are a bit high. but if you can get a deal, i say go for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank worldismyerster
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Upper West side to the north, Hells Kitchen to the south - whilst there is not much happening right where the hotel is, just a short walk north or south gives you two very different NY experiences.

The hotel was clean, pretty nicely kept, comfortable and quiet. Nothing special but it still made for a nice retreat from the chaos of the street.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Adrian M
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed in this hotel recently and it was fine. Staff were polite and helpful, not that I had much cause to interact with them. The double room was perfectly fine, a bed, desk, two chairs, large flat screen TV on the wall, phone and clock radio, air-con unit. What more is needed? Adequate bathroom - shower over the bath, sink and toilet. We were in NYC to be out and about and have a good time - we just need the room to crash in and recharge our batteries (literally and metaphorically). Only thing I would have added to improve would be a small fridge. The bath was slow to drain but that really wasn't a problem. Absolutely fine. Would return again in the future.

Room Tip: A room away from the lifts would probably be quieter as you wouldn't get people passing by.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in May and I will never return. I travel often and I have never experienced the bad service I recieved here. I was not charged the correct amount for one of the nights I was there and the staff refused to talk to the person who had quoted me the amount. When I contacted her directly she refused to do anything about it. If the hotel were worth the extra money I would not have had an issue with it but it is not. I stayed in two different rooms, due to a error on their part and both rooms were run down. Both bathrooms had facets that leaked and toilets and showers that did not work properly.
If you do end up staying there do not accept a ride to the airport as I was told one price by the conceirge and another by the driver when I got to the airport. I paid $30 more then I paid when I took a taxi. Again, this would not have been a big deal had I not already been treated poorly by the staff and if I had actually enjoyed my stay in this hotel.
As a result of this poor experience I have refused to book at any Holiday Inn's.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackie S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Jackie S,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your taking the time to make us aware of the service issues you encountered. I apologize for any inconvenience and confusion our concierge and the driver may have caused regarding your experience with the airport shuttle. I have taken note of your comments regarding the staff. Rest assured these will be addressed with the appropriate departments. It is my sincere hope that you will consider giving us the opportunity to serve you again should your travels bring you back to New York City.

Connie D

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Excellent location, close to Central Park and near good food options. Interiors were dated and in poor condition. Biggest negative were that all the reception staff were extremely unhelpful and plain rude. The pool was a great the kids, being in summer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jorgeguito
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at The Watson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Jorgeguito,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am pleased to read that you found our location excellent. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. I have taken note of your comments regarding the reception staff this will be passed on to the right department. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction.

Connie D

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

This was by far the worst hotel service I've ever seen. The manager accused us of lying. The rooms were dirty and smelly. Unfriendly reception staff. Breakfast included means $20 off the bill.. So you still have to pay for the overpriced breakfast which consists of 3 items... Bacon, eggs n bread essentially. Overall would never stay here again. Could get much better for same price. Also you can't turn the air con off so brink a blanket!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Traveldr1

Dear Traveldr1,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. However, I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had experienced with the hotel staff. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Janice A