4 people are viewing this hotel
Priceline$331
eDreams$331
ZenHotels.com$1,019
4,847 results
All reviews monkey bar club room wine and cheese new york continental breakfast central park bagels floor lounge home away from home small hotel every evening king suite wonderful hotel street noise midtown manhattan love this hotel the location is perfect
Selected filters
Reviewed August 27, 2019 via mobile

Hotel Elysee was recommended by friends whom had lived in the city for years. It exceeded our expectations. We were assigned the Presidential suite, which we truly appreciated. The hotel is beautiful, old school New York. Staff is outstanding. Monkey bar was a great place for a nightcap after full days with family. Perfect. Could not have had nicer accommodations. We will return.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank HarleyHoustonRider
Reviewed August 27, 2019

I recently came into the city for an event at the DoubleTree Metropolitan. After reading a host of negative reviews about that hotel (which were later echoed by my colleagues who didn't heed the internet's advice and stayed there anyway), I made the wise choice to stay at Hotel Elysee instead. This was the hotel that an ex-boss of mine always chose to stay at when he came to NYC, and I now understand why.

What a charming property! The rooms and public areas are all dripping with old-school NYC elegance, and the service matches. The breakfast was more than ample and I still can't believe it was complimentary. The rates were VERY reasonable for NYC, especially for the large sized rooms. I have never stayed in a NYC hotel room this large (and I just had a regular king bed room), and it's also one of the lowest prices I've encountered for this area of the city.

I also had a the pleasure of dining at the Monkey Bar while I was in town and would highly recommend its food and atmosphere!

• Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank Carrie M
Reviewed August 27, 2019

My husband surprised me with a four day spoiling in NYC. I was celebrating a BIG birthday (60) !

I usually am the planner in the family this was all on him .

This was my 8th visit to the city and I can say it is probably my favourite big city to spend time in ! So much to do and see. I am also a huge theater lover.

Side note - 10 years ago the plan was NYC for my fiftieth . I had never been before and was so excited to go...unfortunately breast cancer had other plans for me . My surgery was booked for August so no 50 celebrations for me ....my husband took me a week before surgery to get my mind off of what was to come. Needless to say that trip was a blur of fear and tears. Every year after that for about 5 years I took my daughter with me and we celebrated with shopping and Broadway. My husband not a fan of the Theater or shopping .

My dream was to see Hamilton but back when it opened you needed a second mortgage to see it . My husband also arranged this as a part of my birthday surprise, but I digress onto Hotel Elysee !

We arrived mid afternoon. Upon arrival first impression a step back in time . Room is ready - I ask if it is a room not facing the street -it is so asked to be changed to a room with less street noise (not my first time here) .

We open the door and uggh nope. OK typical big city room small but I've been here before and the smallest room I have ever seen in NYC. A quick call down stairs and we are moved to a suite $50 more a night. We do enjoy a smaller hotel boutique style . I found hotel Elysee very dated tired probably last refurbished in the 80s would be my guess.

Room /Suite

VERY spacious living area- furniture has seen better days ,large bedroom,-hard bed , hallway to large bathroom - so biggest room I have stayed at in NYC !

My daughter and I have stayed at The Kimpton properties in years past The MUSE and 70 Park Ave ( which is now the Iberostar) the reason I mention this is the Wine hour they provide to compared to hotel Elysee. Elysee wins big here it is more than 1 hour and the wines much nicer than at the Kimpton. The cheese plates and other items beat out the Kimpton properties as well. It has the same premise meet other guests if you so wish. It is held in a large private room on the second floor, not the hotel lobby where The Kimptons host their wine hour and seating is limited...Elysee offers red ,white, and prosecco . Breakfast is served here as well enjoyed this before setting off for the day. Nothing beats a NYC bagel IMO.

We had some cocktails at the famous Monkey bar and the late night pianist was wonderful again felt like I stepped back in time .

The staff wonderful - but no one asked if it was a special occasion ...it was

Would I stay here again probably not too many choices in NYC.

Room tip: basic King room smal
3  Thank Cher79
Reviewed August 18, 2019

Wonderful.

Location is excellent. The staff are friendly (front desk, bell and room service), all chatty but not interfering. Doors opened without fuss or awkwardness, turn-down & room service team are like ghosts!

The lift wasn't working but that's ok. We were only on the 4th floor and the service lift guy was friendly when we needed the lift. No waiting, not cramped. All good.

The AC in our room (43) was spot on. Did a good job.

We were originally in room 41 but asked to be moved as we had a walk in shower not a bath. They moved us to 43 in moments, no fuss, no messing, just one call downstairs and someone appeared in 45 seconds to move our stuff.

The evening reception is wonderful, very quiet and sophisticated. The breakfast is excellent too. We always had a seat... again, quiet and well run.

Wake up service was to the second. We also purchased a bunch of bits in the city that needed to be kept cold; we used the complementary fridge in reception. All good there too.

Ah, there was one thing... I went to pour my own wine during the reception evening and the waitress was very quick to "help" me, taking the bottle and explaining "it's not self service", maybe some local law or something.

Yes, it's an old building, it's boutique but that's what we want and we love it!

Will 100% be back!

Date of stay: July 2019
1  Thank RupertDavey
Reviewed August 12, 2019

It is very 'charming' and all the staff are very friendly. That being said... I prefer a more updated property. The air con in our room could barely cool the space and made a noise like a revving car engine every 8 seconds (I did actually time it)- the entire night. Needless to say it was difficult to sleep. The guest elevator was out of service- which I didn't initially mind- things break.... but the service elevator was very slow, and in the morning it was being used for laundry, and- well, service- so it by-passed guests waiting. Guests waiting in a dingy, hot service staircase- next to bags of laundry & trash. Not pleasant at all & no accommodations were offered... no apologies... a complimentary drink at the bar perhaps? - no. The location is good- short walk to E, 6, 4 & 5. The shower was hot- no unexpected fluctuating water temperatures & good water pressure. WiFi was spotty. Monkey Bar was crowded, but good atmosphere & good drinks. Not sure I would choose to stay there again.

2  Thank debsilv59