Lowest prices for your stay
$359
Hotels.com$359
Priceline$999
ZenHotels.com$1,009
4,847 results
All reviews monkey bar club room wine and cheese new york continental breakfast central park bagels floor lounge home away from home small hotel every evening king suite wonderful hotel street noise midtown manhattan love this hotel the location is perfect
Selected filters
Reviewed July 17, 2019 via mobile

Great price for the location. About a mile east of Times Square. It is dated or retro - depending on how you look at it. The elevator was broken but connected to a restaurant if you wanted to use that one. Good size rooms for NYC. The housekeeper did come in my room at 8:30am which is not how I wanted to wake up my first jet lagged morning. But I survived. It’s good - not spectacular. But the price point for where it is is the best thing.

2  Thank msa23_2000
Reviewed July 13, 2019

I mean, I’m sure there are other hotels in New York City other than Hotel Elysee. Maybe one or two or a hundred thousand. Give or take.

But for me, there has only been one. I’ve come to the city a dozen times over the last two years and Hotel Elysee — because of their economical luxury, their perfect location, and their heartwarming staff — has been the sole option for me and my company. The cast and crew of Hotel Elysee have been at the heart of each conference, investor pitch and high-stress meeting, and they’ve always made a Victorian home for us.

Don’t get me wrong. I love contemporary design, stark white, minimalistic spaces. But you can (and do) get that everywhere. This European-style carriage hotel is the royal escape from the city while perfectly situated inside the city. Walking down to the Monkey Bar during happy hour makes you feel like you’re on a 1940s reality show, where off-color jokes and double-entendre slip off the tongue a little easier after a few martinis. This pleases the writerly spirits who still frequent the restaurant. Run, don’t walk, to Hotel Elysee — and while you have your jazz shoes on — do a little dance while you’re there.

Room tip: Good views, happy hour, breakfast, Library, meet other travelers, most friendly staff.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank VictoriaLuxeLuxe
Reviewed July 13, 2019

Location is great , rooms are a nice size by NY standards and staff are friendly but no working passenger elevator, and terrible wifi are simply inexcusable. " Members" lounge is a nice touch, with a decent continental breakfast and snacks all day long. Some reviewers commented that the hotel is "dated" but this is more a matter pf personal taste. This is NOT a chic, boutique hotel, this is old school country inn type "charm". If that is your taste you will like it, as long as the elevator has been fixed and the wifi doesn't drive you crazy.

Room tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Snikt21
HotelElysee-GM, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2019

Dear Snikt21,

Providing flawless service in a hotel built in 1926 presents many challenges. I offer this only as an explanation and not an excuse for the inconveniences you encountered. As I have mentioned in a previous review, our passenger elevator began malfunctioning at the end of June. Our maintenance company was unable to repair the culprit, the elevator’s controllers; it’s so called brain, so we are awaiting new controllers. Unfortunately, these parts are not lying on a shelf in a store, they must be custom made. We anticipate delivery next week and predict the elevator will be back in service at the end of this month. With regard to the Wi-Fi, we recently increased the bandwidth for the hotel to 1 gigabyte and our IT company is trying to determine why the signal is intermittently disrupted. These outages last between 5-10 minutes and we hope to have them resolved quickly.

We thank you for recognizing the charm the hotel offers, we are a unique choice in the heart of midtown and we work tirelessly to ensure that each guest has a wonderful stay.

John Avina

Reviewed July 11, 2019 via mobile

I booked two rooms at this hotel for five days for a much-anticipated family trip. The price was high, but I was confident and excited because the hotel has good reviews and was part of the Library Hotel Collection. What we received was shockingly disappointing.

First, the hotel’s elevator was out for the entire stay - a fact that should have been disclosed to us before we checked in. We were forced to use the hotel’s ancient freight elevator, which was slow, ugly, hot and usually unavailable because it was (predictably) full of staff or repair people. The entire process of entering and leaving the hotel was constantly difficult and unpleasant.

Second, the hotel’s restaurant and bar, which are the basis of many of the good reviews, failed to open for three of the five days and closed early the other days, so there were no facilities of any kind available for much of the stay. A hotel without a restaurant, bar or fitness center is not a first rate hotel.

Third, the rooms themselves, along with the entire hotel, are frankly tired looking and obsolete (very few electrical outlets; slow and inconsistent WiFi). I expected a more attractive and business-friendly facility.

Finally, while the staff was mostly friendly, the management was indifferent to the fact that the hotel was operating at such a poor level for us. It offered no meaningful accommodations.

The Library Collection should be embarrassed to have this facility as one if its signature hotels. I rarely post negative reviews, but believe it is appropriate in this case. I can not recommend this hotel.

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank MisterXAtlanta

Dear MisterXAtlanta,

We are all very sorry the passenger elevator was out of service during your stay with us, July 5-10. Although the service elevator is working and servicing both guests and employees, it is burdensome.

For any future or potential guests, during the last week of June, the passenger elevator began malfunctioning. Our maintenance company was unable to repair the culprit, the elevator’s controllers; it’s so called brain, so we are awaiting new controllers. Unfortunately, these parts are not lying on a shelf in a store, they must be custom made. We anticipate delivery next week and predict the elevator will be back in service at the end of this month.

On Saturday July 6, you approached my Assistant Front Office Manager with your dissatisfaction. He explained to you our predicament and you responded with, how are you going to rectify this? He offered you compensation as recompense for your displeasure, which you accepted. Believe me; we know how frustrating this situation is but to say that management was indifferent is just incorrect. My staff is working diligently to make this situation as painless as possible, we have dressed up the service elevator as best as we could, and we have attendants inside 24/7 to assist guests at all times.

Your stay coincided with Independence Day. On Wednesday, July 3, the restaurant management informed me that in addition to closing on July 4, it would be closed July 5 but open on July 6 in the evening. That night at 10:00pm, the restaurant and bar closed because there were no patrons. We know that you arrived shortly thereafter and you were told it was closed. The restaurant and bar reopened on Monday, July 8 under normal operating hours for the remainder of your stay. We do not advertise having a gym on premise and for the last 26 years we have predominantly used the New York Sports Club, located on East 59 St. and Park Avenue, this facility is free to all guests. Lastly, you mentioned the tiredness of the rooms. We have employed architects and they are drawing up plans for a major renovation. Again, we are all terribly sorry for this inconvenience, and the trouble you encountered, we do not enjoy having to place our guests in such difficult circumstances.

John Avina

Reviewed July 7, 2019

Disappointing after viewing posted photos and reviews. My room was very well worn and watch the slight step up into the bathroom or you will painfully stub your toe. Front desk and staff are friendly, but unfortunately, do not make up for the condition of the hotel. If however, you are primarily looking for location, it is well situated near shopping and relatively comfortable walking distance to Times Square.

Date of stay: June 2019