“Best business hotel for me”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #8 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York
“Best business hotel for me”
Reviewed January 20, 2007

I have used this hotel since 1994 primarily for business. I can stay in any hotel in NYC; however, I ALWAYS choose the Elysée.

This hotel's location is optimum for me. It is central to my place of business and affords me access to midtown's best restaurants, shopping and cultural venues. Also, as a female traveler I feel very safe and attended to here.

The staff at this hotel is sublime. They know me by name and they are always sure to have one of my favorite rooms available for me upon arrival. Without mention, all of my previous requests are attended to, i.e. coffee maker in room, iron and board. Their new amentities are an improvement from what they had in years past. I use the hotel approximately six times a year, for at least a week at a time. It is comforting to see the same faces at the Front Desk who always remember me by name.

My preference is always a boutique hotel. The Elysée may not be for everyone, should you need 24 hour room service, a butler outside your door, this may not be the place for you. If you do want a great location and an intelligent staff who remember what you like, then this hotel is definitely for you.

Their breakfast is wonderful and the staff there could not be more helpful, especially Lina. She always greets me with a big smile when she sees me. My favorite amentity is their wine and hors d'oeuvre hour from 5-8 pm, a perfect way to end the day. On my last visit, they had a wonderful Argentine Malbec and a fantastic Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.

To sum it up, I always look forward to staying here. If I must be away from home this is definitely the place to be.

• Liked — comfy beds and linen
  • Disliked — one elevator only
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank Pegstrllite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Antipodes
Reviewed January 19, 2007

We are baby boomer travellers who require comfort and a bit of luxury.
The hotel was a little shabby but the room was a little bigger than what you usually get in NY. Staff were friendly and the location central. The breakfast was awful but I think that this is what American accept as OK. Please can someone teach them how to mkake coffee..ahhhh. What is this thing about flavoured coffees?

The one big positive about the hotel is Bill's Bar right across the road. Forget about the Monkey Bar in the hotel (it closed at 2am after New Year's Eve can you belive it??). Bill's Bar is this tiny tiny bar populated by octogenarians, I am not kidding, who were once great jazz, stage singers. The piano man starts playing and they start to sing. It is fabulous and you really are back in time. They are wonderfully polite and gregarious and you will have a great evening. Don't foget to tip the piano payer.

Stayed December 2006
2 Thank annierlux
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed January 11, 2007

My husband and I recently went to NYC for our honeymoon. We had originally planned to stay at a large hotel chain, like the Hilton, but decided that a small, romantic boutique hotel would be much nicer. After reading reviews and seeing that it was rated Most Romantic Hotel in NYC in a travel guide, we decided on the Hotel Elysee. We booked directly through the hotel, told them it was our honeymoon, and stayed for 11 days. We were both less than impressed.

The concierge I dealt with over the phone (we used him for help in making restaurant reservations) was usually very polite, but seemed very new at his job. I had to call and remind him to do things several times. I was not being a nag, but when I called to check on things (We stayed over the New Year's Eve holiday, so I wanted to make sure that restaurants weren't booked up.), he often had forgotten to call certain restaurants when he said he would. I also had to call and confirm every reservation on my own. In past experiences, the concierge usually does this for you. I also asked him several times for restaurant recommendations, and never got any. He pulled out his Zagat guide over the phone and flipped through it. I'm sorry, but I have a Zagat guide, too, and I don't need someone to read it to me over the phone. I feel that if you are a concierge, it is part of your job to know about restaurants in the area and be able to make recommendations upon request.

The room itself was very average. We had a king suite, and were told twice over the phone that we would have a kitchenette with a full-size fridge. When we arrived, there was a mini fridge in the living room and that was it. We got in so late and were so tired that we didn't complain and just kept the room, but in retrospect, especially considering it was our honeymoon, we should have requested a different room. The flat screen tv in the living room was nice, but the couch was so uncomfortable (just an old fold-out) that we never sat in there to watch. Our view was ridiculous-a lovely air shaft overlooking another building. There are better views in that hotel. The bathroom was small but fine, we understand that rooms are much smaller in NYC. However, we did expect it to be clean. One morning, every new towel that had been left by housekeeping the night before had hair on it. Not a great thing to wake up to.

The service was fine, and everyone was helpful in getting our bags to and from our room, but no one was very friendly. We realize that the attitude is different in NYC, but when you're staying in a small hotel like that, you expect more, especially when you're paying so much. It made us feel a bit unwelcome, and as if they were doing us a huge favor just by being there.

All in all it's a nice hotel, but not great, unless maybe you have the piano suite. I would try somewhere else next time.

• Liked — Location is great
  • Disliked — Quality
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TexasGirlTravels
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We stayed at the Elysee over New Year. It's a charming, elegant little place. Very classy and well appointed, yet unpretentious.

The library and club room are superb, as is the breakfast (fresh juice, fruit salad, bagels, pastries, toast and cereals). Another nice touch was the coffee and cookies that are available all day long. Due to our hectic schedule we didn't manage the evening cheese and wine.

The staff were very respectful and helpful, yet have a bit of fun at the same time. And the guests were equally charming.

The whole ambience is very French (as you'd imagine from its name). And the Monkey Bar serves lovely food.

All in all, a lovely experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a small, quiet, elegant place that is only a few minutes walk from 5th Avenue. Everything about the place is wonderful.

• Liked — It's elegance
  • Disliked — The slow lift
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank K_The_Tourist
Market Bosworth, Warwickshire
Reviewed January 3, 2007

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 5 nights between Christmas and New Year. The location is excellent - close to everything you want to see - Time Square, Central Park etc

The Bedroom (no 61) was nice, and quite large, although the decor did look a little bit tired. The bed was great - huge and really comfy. If i was being picky i would say it was a bit noisy - we were at the back of the hotel near all the heating vents, so it was quite noisy - but we didn't complain as i expected noise in a city. If we had complained I am sure they would have moved us with no trouble. The Bathroom was fab -all marble and the shower was great - very powerful.

The best thing about the hotel was the service - anything you wanted, all the hotel staff would bend over backwards to get for you. The communal areas are very nice, and the complimentary breakfast was excellent - really good fresh fruit salad, croissants, breads etc.

Another tip -if you are a smoker like us, there is a great cigar bar called Club Macenudo 9 blocks from the hotel where you can still smoke - yipee! It is really nice inside, the staff are good, and they do good food - what more can you want!

We went to the bar in the hotel once, but weren't that keen - it is nearly pitch black inside and quite expensive compared to the other places we went.

I would also recommend Cellini the Italian Restaurant just across the road from the hotel - great food and service and good value - two course and a good bottle of wine for two was $100.

Overall we had a fab time in New York and at the Hotel - we will definatley go back and will definatley stay at the Elysee.

• Liked — The Location & Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Here!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katy&Fraser
south pasadena,ca
Reviewed December 29, 2006

I had stayed the Elysee's sister property the Casablanca in June and really liked it and decided to try the Elysee because of the location in midtown. This was going to a quick 48 hour trip from LA to NYC so I e-mailed the hotel ahead of time and requested a room at the back of the hotel as I'm a very light sleeper, and with the trip being so short I was really hoping they would me able to accommodate me. I had booked a deluxe king room. While checking in I was told that I had been upgraded to a one bedroom suite at the back of the hotel. I felt like reaching across the counter and planting one on the nice young man! I was escorted up to my suite and absolutely giddy with delight as this never happens to me. The suite was spectacular! The living room was very large for NYC standards and had a plasma tv in the armoire. The bedroom was equally large and spacious and the bathroom was done in marble. I only wished my stay was to be longer than 48 hours.

The complimentary breakfast can be delivered to your room for only $5. I called and requested this service in the morning and it was brought immediately up which consisted of a large pot of coffee, bagels, and fruit. I tipped the deliveryman and dug in! I couldn't believe what incredible service I was getting.

The wine and cheese in the evening was generous and relaxing. The free wi-fi in the room was also very much appreciated.

What sets the Elysee apart is the staff. Each request or inquiry was met with a professional response. The hotel is boutique style so its very intimate and the staff addresses you on a first name basis, making it feel like home.

I travel to NYC quite a bit for business and pleasure and I have tried them all, but this will be my new home away from home. The abundant complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese and free wi-fi make the Elysee such a great value. And no, its not cheap, but what is in NYC? If you add in the complimentary services and the fantastic staff the Elysee simply can't be beat. And thanks again to everyone who made my stay so effortless. Only wish I could have stayed in the suite for a week!

• Liked — The staff, amazing bed with crisp sheets, size of suite, quality of complimentary breakfast, Everything!
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for an uprgade, the worst they can say is no.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank onlyfirstclass
Upstate New Yorker
Reviewed December 4, 2006

A warm and cozy hotel, with a great midtown location, without the crowds and noise of those big hotels. The rooms are immaculate and beautifully appointed. The staff is friendly and courteous. It's always my first choice if I need to stay in New York.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo