“Gentle, courteous, and quiet in noisy NYC”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We routinely stay at the Elysee when we come to New York — about four times a year. The staff is immensely courteous and helpful, the breakfast is delicious, the rooms are impeccably clean and the location cannot be beat. We simply love this place. You will too.

Room Tip: The junior suites are, we think ,good value, as are the King Suites, though somewhat more expensive...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PBTjr
There are newer reviews for Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was our second stay here in 5 months.

Although everything was fine, and we got what we reserved, I couldn't help shaking the feeling that it was better the first time. It's hard not to compare when the stays were so close together. I'm not high maintenance but we were made to feel "special" with little perks on the first visit, so my expectations came from that. This visit was during a tourist time, so that probably factors in.

It started at check-in when the first time couple next to us were offered a free upgrade. Being I was a return, I asked if it was possible to be upgraded. I was told that there was no record of us being return customers. Turns out our last stay was put under my daughter's name? by mistake.
Then, the manager checked our rate, and mentioned what a good rate we had managed to get. No upgrade.
I don't know if it was just the way things were communicated, but I couldn't help but feel that because we found a good rate, we didn't qualify for an upgrade. Anyhow, no biggie. Not all hotels will give upgrades. We got what we paid for.
The room was fine, although the view was terrible. We faced a building and some pipes. The bed was terrific! Very comfy and as mentioned in my first review, excellent linens. Love the feel of the sheets here!
Our room was always super clean and fresh. The turndown ladies, Eloyda and Flavia took great care of us, and were friendly and pleasant.
The lounge was wonderful, with great service and really nice choices of food and drink.
The common areas are clean and well decorated. The staff is courteous.

I do recommend this hotel. It's a lovely place to call home for a few days.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room at back did NOT have a good view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LitleDi
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear LitleDi,

Thank you so much for choosing us again for your return trip to New York. I am happy to read that your overall experience was a positive one and that you would choose to stay with us again. Of course, we aspire to make our guests' return visits even more enjoyable than their first, so we were all disheartened to hear that this past stay did not fully hold up to the standards set by your first visit. Chris who has been with us for over ten years was the gentleman who stepped in to complete your check-in. It is true that on your past visit both your reservation and your daughter’s were made in her name, your comment here has made it clear to us how important it is upon arrival to revise each name to reflect each individual reservation. Once Chris realized this he amended your history to reflect your previous visit; however, this had no impact on your upgrade request. When you asked for an upgrade Chris first mentioned that unfortunately, we could not provide you with an upgrade due to the length of your stay, we simply did not have a higher category room available for your four night stay. Rarely are we ever able to provide upgrades due to our high occupancy and because of this it is almost impossible for us to provide upgrades on a regular basis and on the occasion when we can do it, it is generally for a one night stay. Also, Chris’s comment about your rate was only intended to make you feel positive about taking advantage of one of our specials and it certainly was not a factor in determining your request for an upgrade and I am truly sorry if you found this off putting or if it left you feeling confused or unappreciated in any way about how we determine upgrade requests. Additionally, it was wonderful reading how well you were looked after by Eloyda and Flavia, who work diligently to ensure turn-down is performed with care and kindliness. Already, I have shared your comments with them and they were delighted. Since you mentioned you would return, already we look forward to welcoming you back and I am sure we can duplicate the feelings you had on your first visit. Also, if you like it would be my pleasure to handle your next reservation personally.

John Avina

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were please to stay at our favorite hotel and wanted to extend and open up rooms for colleagues in the city who were booked at a competing hotel.

First the hotel communicated a rate of $243 was available for a period of two nights, then available for the week. We said needed some time to clean up the reservations at other hotels, cancelled our reservations and called back within thirty minutes. The room rate increased to over $310/night - the part-time, fill-in manager indicated his colleague had miscommunicated the rate, that the rate was available for the first two nights only and that the greater rate was applied to the full week and there was nothing he could do. Classic bait & switch, and a big surprise from a hotel that normally wouldn't mess things up this badly.

Chalk it up to "Wan," the irregular manager for the hotel - he lacked the client service skills to turn this into a clear win-win for both parties, and has damaged the reputation of this hotel for my wife and myself, and our colleagues also. It's too bad, this is a fine boutique hotel - they shouldn't have people like Wan ruining the experience for guests.

Room Tip: Stay at the back if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Adam R M
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Adam R N,

Thank you for staying with us again and for enjoying the hotel well enough to recommend us to your colleagues. I do see you and your wife were with us for Friday and Saturday at an average rate of about $319.00, which are usually peak days for us. During your stay your wife called down and spoke with my Guest Service Agent Diana asking for rooms for your colleagues for Sunday and Monday. Indeed, your wife was quoted a rate of $243.00 per night, not including tax, which represented the average rate for Sunday and Monday only. Sundays and Mondays generally are not peak nights and we are almost always willing to offer especially attractive rates such as the $243.00 rate Diana quoted your wife. As their conversation progressed your wife also enquired about additional nights including Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, which are peak nights for us. Since your wife was unsure of the exact number of rooms and nights she needed Diana explained that on those peak dates the rate would have different pricing. I am sorry if this was not clearly understood. I know it can be difficult to understand why hotel rates vary instead of remaining the same every day. This is not a trick; it is just that we would rather offer a lower rate to attract more guests on quieter days. It would not be prudent for us, or a good business practice to offer Sunday night specials during our peak nights, in your case Tuesday – Thursday. You then spoke to Juan, the Manager on Duty. He explained to you the same exact circumstances regarding rate and availability as Diana explained to your wife. As a gesture of good faith, he even offered you complimentary upgrades for each of your colleagues. Juan was only trying to be kind and demonstrate how much we appreciated your business and referrals. We hope that you and the other TripAdvisor members reading this will take a look at our online rate calendar provided on our website. There you will see that we are very meticulous and transparent about clearly outlining our nightly pricing. Also, as I mentioned, Sunday and Monday rates are often less than mid week.

John Avina

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Centrally located for all midtown shopping vices. Ez walk to broadway shows. 2nd fl club room is simply the best with nightly cocktails, fresh morning breakfast, and always a nice ambiance to be in. Beautiful marble bathroom. Small but efficient and nicely appointed rm on corner with King bed. Sophisticated but not snooty clientele. Some young families, some Europeans. Professional staff, pretty lobby, I could go on and on. Not to mention the price! My parting words to the front desk were "you haven't seen the last of me".

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at Elysee with my parents in law, husband and 6 year old son for a week and could not have been better. The hotel is centrally located, the rooms are spacious (I stayed in a Deluxe Queen with my husband and son - it had a sofa that turned into a single bed) and cozy. The breakfast, snacks and cheese and wine are divine. But what really seduced me in this hotel was the kindness and attention of the staff. Everyone from the reception, to the girls that served the food in the lounge and housekeeper, they were so great. To me, this is what matters the most. I have stayed at Elysee before and had already enjoyed the experience, but this time they were even great. The hotel is located in a kind of noisy part of the city, so if you are a light sleeper, you will need earplugs which the hotel offers if needed. Also, the room does not get too dark. But, it did not bother us that much.
I little minus, when I booked my deluxe queen room, I was supposed to stay only with my 6 year old son, but, at the last minute, my husband decided to come with us. I asked the hotel if you could use an extra bed, and reservation said that I would have to upgrade to a deluxe king room which costed 200 USD more. I did not want to pay for this, so I bought an inflatable bed and let it delivered at the hotel. When we arrived we found out that our deluxe queen room had a sofa that could be transformed in a single bed. Why they did not inform us of that before? It would have saved me from expending money on the inflatable bed. So, pay attention and ask before if your room has this feature.
Anyway, as I said, at the end everything worked out great so I would certainly be back to Elysee.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Reegu
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed here one night in July for a big anniversary. I can't express enough how marvelous this hotel is. This was our first time, yet the staff made us feel like this was our 100th time. We received an incredible and unexpected upgrade to our room. We felt like royalty. The staff is beyond fantastic. I don't believe I opened a door in two days! Someone was always there to do it for us. The breakfast is great, and the afternoon cocktails, well, just phenomenal. Great location. We didn't hear any noise from the outside at all. I really can't say enough about the staff. If you need anything, they are right there to make it happen. Don't hesitate to ask. I can say without a doubt, this will not be our last stay here! A big thank you to all at the Hotel Élysées! Try for yourself, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank B D
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Hotel Elysee is in the perfect location near Central Park and Midtown Manhattan tourist attractions. It is an easy walk to Times Square or the Empire State Building too. The decor is beyond stunning. The hotel staff was extremely friendly (seems to be hard to come by in NYC) and helpful. I would highly rate this hotel for business or pleasure. My mom and son (age 9) traveled with me and the King Suite was absolutely perfect at 600 square feet. We had a queen size sofa bed to pull out for my son.

We will definitely stay at the Hotel Elysee if we return to New York.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king suite and I would highly recommend it for the additional space and amenities.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business