“Stylish small hotel superbly located”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Schilde
“Stylish small hotel superbly located”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a small scale hotel with a personal touch where the staff is professional and taking great care of your well being as a customer in every aspect. Situated in a brown stone building and equiped with english style furniture, it offers lots of character. It is also located at only a 2 minutes walk from Fifth Avenue and a 5 minute walk from Central Park. Ideal for shopping, leisure and culture with the MET Opera, the MET museum and the Frick Collection all in easy walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frank d

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We needed a hotel that was central, very pleasant, comfortable and affordable for our two week stay in NY. Elysee delivered in spades. The only criticism I have was when I asked for a balcony room and was prepared to move during our stay for when one became available, but unfortunately we weren't ever offered the opportunity. However the staff apart from that were friendly, helpful and polite, the service was excellent. But then in NY I found that to be everywhere. The room was quite spacious, the breakfast had great bagels, I put on weight just from those bagels. The afternoon drinks and nibbles we only enjoyed the evening we arrived, too busy out and about the rest of the time, but it was a nice gesture. The location was excellent I would highly recommend this hotel for that you are central but not on it as it is in Time Square. It wasn't cheap especially when I hadn't factored another tax that hiked our bill up buy a goodly amount, but that's what happens in America. Also the concierge was very helpful organising taxis for us if we needed and the staff were pretty good at recommending restaurants, hard not to be in that city. Oh and you must go to the Monkey bar and restaurant in the building, fantastic and Bills bar across the road if you want a tiny bar to hang out with the locals. WE LOVE NEW YORK. I didn't sleep the first three nights, because of the citys' energy, despite already traveling for three weeks prior, this is an amazing city and the hotel was just right for our needs. I was charming.

Room Tip: In the photos there was a room with a balcony I would push for that, our room was average but can...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Felicity H
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Love the location, rooms, staff, and boutique hotel. Free wi-fi, wonderful breakfast included and wine and nibbles nightly. IF there was one thing that is an issue is that cabs are not so easy to hail so a quick walk 1/2 block to Park or Madison is best bet. Easy walk to Central Park and shopping and restaurants. Staff helpful and loyal - like coming back to good friends. Only reason I am hesitant to post review is that I would not want to find a no vacancy sign out for me in the future.

Room Tip: Request rooms not by the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Floridagal65
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Lots to like here but your experience with the Hotel Elysee will depend entirely on your expectations. For example; as a business traveler, if you are expecting numerous elevator banks, coffee makers in your room, premium movie channels and an on property fitness center etc,this is probably not the place for you.
If you are looking for a great small hotel with an excellent staff that goes overboard to make you feel welcome and you can roll with not having some of the items mentioned about, then by all means check out the Elysee.

Great location at 54th and Madison, European charm and excellent large rooms. I checked in this week and was given a King Suite on the 11th floor. The one elevator was waiting in the lobby and I went straight up to 11. Note there were some small wait times the next day but nothing remarkable (maybe 2 minutes max) in fact I would call the wait times normal for NY.In fact I waited far longer for elevators when I stayed at the Waldorf Towers the week before!

My room was excellent with tons of space; nice sitting area, an excellent large desk and a good size bedroom in the next room. Bathrooms are a bit on the tight size and lack good shelf space for shaving kits but again, that is a minor inconvenience. I had work to do so I ordered up some room service. When you call for room service, they connect you to the front desk and I could tell the gentleman on the phone taking the order was in a hurry and was a bit abrupt. Dinner was delivered quickly and was fine, not great but good.

Traffic/truck/construction noise from 54th was noticeable but I turned on the HVAC fan to on and it masked the vast majority of the noise all night. I should have asked for the mattress topper and would recommend anyone staying here to do so as the beds were a bit on the hard side. I slept well and while I did hear the garbage trucks at 5, it was a momentary issue. I had asked the hotel for a coffee maker the night before so I was able to enjoy some coffee while getting ready. The breakfast on the 2nd floor was excellent with many good choices and an extremely helpful staff.

Overall, there are many things that are beyond the Hotels control (the construction of the building)-yes you can here quite a bit more than you might like while waiting for the elevator. The traffic noises from 54th-the hotel more than accommodates light sleepers with the card on the bed listing the items they have to assist with this issue.

But overall, I would give the Elysee a solid 3.5 stars and I would recommend trying it if you are in that part of midtown. I will stay there again if I'm in Midtown east but I don't think I would go out of my way (walk 6-10 blocks) for the Elysee with all the other offerings Midtown has for the business traveler.

Room Tip: higher floors are a must;
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Bob H
UK
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I have hopefully found my NY hotel after much searching..... Early booking in, breakfast, wine and cheese in the evening and spacious room in the heart of midtown so close for everything!

We arrived early and the reception staff were very welcoming. They arranged a room for us early and directed us to the breakfast room - what a great welcome!

The rooms are a good size for New York and they have a seating area too and offer free wifi throughout the hotel. The bathroom is a little small but it is New York.

The evening drinks and apetisers were very welcome after a day wandering in New York...

Throughout our stay all the staff were friendly and efficient and I cannot fault any of the staff.

My only citicism would be as it is an older (lovely) property it can be very noisy. We were in a front room and the street noise just doesn't stop - why does everyone sound their car horns at every hour though!!! Also as our room was against the uncarpeted stairway this was noisy when everyone went up and down. However, on checking out we told them and they told us we should have said and they would have moved us. I have rated the hotel as excellent as overall the hotel is, especially if they sort out the noise and are true to their word and move you to a different room. We will be returning and taking them up on this offer if we are in a noisy room.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
arlington, va
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I often travel with my husband and end up staying in a lot of cookie cutter hotels. They are not awful, just predictable. I was absolutely charmed by the Hotel Elysee. You walk in and are in a different hotel world--there is an old New York charm to the place. Traveling with a friend, we stayed in a room with two (divine!) double beds. The room is not huge but it is fine--remember this is New York. The beds are super comfortable, lovely linens. The WiFi is free. They left us bottles of water and a chocolate bar, had a turn down service in the evening. Usually wine hours at hotels are big yawns--this one was not. It is served in the cozy club room. There is prosecco (in flutes), red and white wine. There was a spread of cheeses and other snacks (crudités, nuts, Pepperidge Farm cookies, goldfish, etc.). The continental breakfast, also served in the club room, was delish. There were pastries, a bowl of fresh fruit, cereals, bagels, etc. The hotel is ideally located in Midtown--a few blocks to MOMA, take the M2 up Madison to the Met, the subway to Penn Station is two blocks. The only drawback to this charming hotel was our room faced out on to 54th Street which had a lively bar across the street and construction during the day. Double paned (or triple paned) windows would definitely help matters. But then again, this is New York so there is always going to be sound...unless you are in a cookie cutter hotel! [I always comment on the high definition TV situation in hotels. My husband was not with me so the TV was never turned on.]

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, perhaps not overlooking the street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank cathleenmarie
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Returned to NYC for my wife's 'special ' special birthday and stayed at the Elysee for lovely romantic weekend. Had not been back for six years having spent at least a weekend there the five years before. Rubi ( Front Desk at the Elysee) was brilliant with her assistance in the planning of the dinners and shows. She was extremely helpful and patient! In fact all the staff were fantastic.
Walking through the doors was like returning home. All employees were so attentive and focused on making the stay memorable. The room was wonderful, the complimentary breakfast and evening cocktails were as we remembered, comforting and welcoming. We enjoy the understated ambiance and the old world feeling. After a long day in the Big City, it was nice to return to the peace and quiet of the Elysee. All this and a great location.
Only suggestion for the hotel would be to work on their wi-fi connection as it was wanting at best.
We will return to the Elyssee when we are next in New York.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple