“Nice hotel, good location, excellent service”

Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection
Ranked #10 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Trieste, Italy
“Nice hotel, good location, excellent service”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Nice hotel, good location, excellent service!

Slightly cars noisy from the road during night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavideCCC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Alabama
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My wife and I decided to stay at the Hotel Elysee based on a friend's recomendation. It was a great tip. Convienent to shopping and the theaters, very friendly staff, nice club level, comfortable bed. Clean linens and soft, absorbant towels. GREAT hot shower. 5 blocks to a nice health club. Ours was a corner room which was a little cramped but considering that it is a boutique hotel in NYC it was understandable. The only negative was the somewhat small, single elevator. Being on a narrow one way street made hailing a cab a little difficult but we were so close to evrything that we wanted to do we waked 99 % of the time. Will stay there again

Room Tip: Corner room, higher flor for quiet. Take advantage of the Club Room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jme55
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I've been staying at The Elysee for over 15 years - there are times when I have been put in other hotels because of pre-ordained business arrangements but they are just not as good. The Elysee is a small boutique hotel that has exceptionally high-quality service. The staff are all very professional and all with very high "EQ". I think it is a strong commentary on the hotel management that there is very little turnover in staff.

It's an absolutely charming hotel in a fabulous location in mid-town. Every room is different, very elegantly furnished in a traditional style - if you like the Philippe Starke look, this is not for you.

The heart of the hotel is the lounge on the second floor. Adjacent to the library it is where
where breakfast, inclusive of the price, is served. Coffee, tea and cookies are served throughout the day and is complimentary, as are wine & cheese served from 5-8.

I think in terms of style, location, service and value, this is the best hotel in NYC.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front of the hotel are brighter but sometimes noisy in the early morning. The room...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Christine H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We had a week in the Elysee Hotel, which we really enjoyed. We booked a Junior Suite because of the length of our stay and it was great to have the extra space. The hotel is well located for sightseeing, and shopping. The staff were extremely helpful and obliging. I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine K
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This hotel was lovely, clean, and comfortable, and every member of the staff I encountered was friendly, polite, and helpful. The location is perfect for seeing a lot of NYC. There is a pleasant old-fashioned atmosphere. The Hotel Elysee is very well kept. The complimentary breakfast in the "club room," plus the evening wine and cheese hours are great, both of which enhance relaxation.

My only complaint is not the fault of the hotel. East 54th Street is under construction, and there are metal plates all over the street. My room was at the front of the hotel, so it was "Bam, Bam, Bam!" from each and every car going down the street all night long. It's also unfortunate that a garbage truck with a noisy hydraulic lift spent a fair amount of time in front of the hotel between 6:15 & 6:30 each morning that I was there. I recommend ear plugs, or requesting a room at the rear of the hotel!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KristinIthaca_NY
philadelphia
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Lovely hotel in swell location.Wondelful continental breakfast. Wine and cheese etc. in late afternoon. Very nice rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hocar
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed March 8, 2012

The noise from the street kept me awake most of the night. I barely slept 3 hours and had a meeting at 8:30 a.m. My room was indeed beautiful and reminded me of a hotel in Geneva. But when you're trying to sleep and realize that there's a single glass window separating your bed from the noise of bustling mid-town Manhattan, you stop caring about whether the 18th century map hanging over your bed is interesting or not. Why can't they just install dual-glass windows? I stayed on the 11th floor, overlooking the street. The hotel management offered to "upgrade" my room during my next stay. Not good enough I think. They should have offered: (1) a discount, or (2) a free night on my next stay (or something that would entice me to give the hotel a second chance). Otherwise, I would have been rather pleased with the experience. The bathrooms need to be renovated urgently and some of the furniture in the lounge needs to be re-upholstered.

Room Tip: Do NOT choose a room that faces the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Gustavo A
elysee54, General Manager at Hotel Elysee by Library Hotel Collection, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear GustafMX,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I am truly sorry that your sleep was disturbed on the one night you stayed with us. Generally when someone asks for a quiet room, the eleventh floor is usually high enough to provide a comfortable stay, even for those who are more sensitive to noise. Clearly, this was not the case for you and for that we apologize. On occasion when travelers let us know they are experiencing difficulty adjusting to the always lively environment of midtown Manhattan – the hotel can provide earplugs, the Sleep Phones System which was developed by a doctor to help block out environmental noise or a Sound Spa that can play various sounds of nature. Of course, we are always happy to provide an alternate room when available. Unfortunately, we did not have an opportunity to provide you with any resolution, as our records show, we only became aware of the problem at check-out. Also, we wish we could benefit from dual glass window but due to type of heating and air-conditioning system in our building, double paned windows would not make the room quieter. We are grateful that most people find the rooms adequately peaceful as they are. Regarding how your complaint was dealt with at the desk, after apologizing for your difficulty sleeping, the Front Office Manager offered you a complimentary upgrade to a suite for a future stay and according to our log book, he noted that you said, thank you. It is clear now that he misinterpreted that as an indication that he had satisfied you. We will be training our staff to understand the difference between a guest being polite and being truly satisfied. Lastly, regarding the furnishings in the clubroom, each piece was either replaced or reupholstered this past November, so we were surprised by your comment. Our Executive Housekeeper and I immediately went to inspect the furnishings and there we found that someone must have put their feet up with shoes on one of the new pieces and it will indeed need to be reupholstered right away. Once again we thank you for your input and we are committed to providing the highest quality experience for our travelers.
If you would be so kind to give us another chance I would be glad to personally select a room for you that I feel confident you will find quiet and peaceful. Please feel free to contact me personally at john@elyseehotel.com. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

John Avina