“Good value”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #334 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights, the biggest problem was the bed was not at all comfortable and was really due for replacement, the room was small but comfortable and very clean, the bathroom big enough but the tiles around the shower were cracked so the room was showing some age. It's a great location on 42nd st. A bit of a walk to the subway and after walking NYC all day would have proffered to be closer to the stations.

Wifi was free if you joined the Hilton Honours for free.

The bell staff felt a bit needy of tips. The front desk were very helpful and friendly.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Sue S,

Thank you for stopping in to provide a nice review of our property. Our beds are being addressed as we are entering a possibility for a complete change in the coming months including mattresses, box springs, and frames. We hope in the future if you visit NYC again you decide to stay with us and we can show you the great changes we are planning to make.

There are newer reviews for Hilton New York Grand Central

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We just returned from our (first) trip to NYC and our stay at the Hilton Manhattan. It was a lovely experience and our stay was quiet enjoyable! When we first arrived we were warmly greeted and escorted to the front desk by the bellhop. Check in took all of 5 minutes, we were given room cards and away we went.

We had two queen sized beds that were extremely comfortable with feather pillows that were just perfect. The room was extremely clean and nicely decorated. There were four women - girls trip to explore NYC and we were all very happy with the accommodations – it was located just down the street from the United Nations Building (Tudor City) and close enough to Grand Central Station to walk to catch subways to ANY where you'd every want to go! There is a nice little bakery / deli just down the street where we ate most mornings (PAX).. and picked up blondies on the way back to our room.

In the room there was an iron and board, a nice sized closet with hangers and several shelves for our belonging to be unpacked. There was a desk with a mirror and a full sized full length mirror, as well as the mirror in the bathroom. There was a hair dryer that was not connected to the wall, which made it very easy for us to take shifts in the restroom....there was also a makeup mirror with a magnifying side.

Our cleaning lady, I believe her name was Betty, was very nice and usually came in the afternoon when we were out exploring the City. One time we came back to the room to change clothes and Betty was there, she quickly left and said she would return to finish up (which she did as soon as we left).

The room had a nice sized tv and I think cable capabilities, but we used it mostly to watch the Tony awards (the play we saw the day before won!) and the news.

The hotel had a nice sized bar area and restaurant, but none of us are drinkers so we didn't partake, but as we walked by we did see many that did.

Check out was at Noon, but our flight wasn't until 6:30 p.m., so we vacated the our room and were able to leave our luggage with the bellhop (they tagged all of our bags) and put them in a locked room and we were able to come back to pick them up in the late afternoon and changed for our flight.

It was a very nice trip to NYC and very pleasant stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Kems,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great detailed 5 star review. We are all very happy that we were able to make your trip a sucussful one and that you were able to enjoy the property and the staff. We have a great location and offer all the right amenties to our guests to ensure they are able to have a great time. I hope on your next visit to NYC you choose to stay with us once again.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've been staying in NY for the last two years now and the professionalism of the staff at this hotel doesn't even come close to any other ones.The rooms are spacious with all the amenities you'd ask for.Plenty of places to eat around the hotel.But again I can't stress enough the courtesy of the staff starting from the bell boy to the general manager and the manager on duty.I would definitely come back with pleasure.Big thanks to Robert and Richard

Room Tip: I would ask for a room facing the East River because it's more quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Ervin S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted to have you back with us again and we appreciate your love for our balcony rooms. We value your loyalty and look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last night and had another great stay. Thanks Kevin, Tess, and Christina for always welcoming me with a warm smile when I arrive after a long day at work. I highly recommend this hotel to business travelers.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Scott S,

Thank you again for your review as it is always a pleasure to have you here with us. Your loyalty is amazing to have and we will always continue to deliver flawless service back to you. See you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This weekend it was my birthday, me and my significant other always head to the city on planning most of activities/ events near by we decided on the Hilton. We arrived a little ahead of time being that we participated in the escape room just 3 blocks away. Harris was at the door and greeted us upon arrival he was more then helpful, he got the room ready then called us as soon as the it was ready. When we got back to freshen up the room was more then exceptional. My brother in law met up with us and enjoyed the great service from the bar as we joined him before a little night out in the city. Coming back to finally get some rest the hotel was nice and quite, the beds were comfortable allowing us to get a good nights or should I say mornings sleep. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda T

Dear Amanda T,

Thank you for stopping in and giving us a great 5 star review. It is always a delight to see a guest stay here for a special occasion and our staff does everything they can to exceed your expectations. Harris is certainly one member of our team that is excellent at this. We hope to see you back with us in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Terrible experience. I'll never go again in a Hilton hotel. I've stayed in Hiltons before and had good experiences, but cannot believe that this hotel is a Hilton. I've had more pleasant stays in cheap hostels or in Super 8 motels than at this place.

1. The first room we were given (821) had a broken AC. It was very warm the first night of our stay and the room was ridiculously small and cramped, so it was burning hot all night long. None of us slept well because of that.

2. Also in that first room (821), the bathroom fan was not working properly. Thus, after taking a hot shower, we had to wait 10-15 minutes for the mirror to be cleaned out of the mist. Not very convenient when you're in a rush to get ready to go out and it's the only mirror in the room.

3. The room was ridiculously small. We could barely walk in the room (see photo)

4. After all these problems, we complain to the front desk. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and told us she'd look into the problem to see if we could be switched to another room. She gives us another room and she tells me to move our bags and that someone would take care of moving the extra portable bed to our new room (it was about 10pm at this time and we wanted to go to bed). It literally took an hour after we were settled in our new room to get the bed, and I had to call back front desk to remind them, because I'm pretty sure nobody was taking care of it and no one would have done it if I hadn't called back.

5. Our next morning, at like 8am, a cleaning lady walks in our room without knocking first! This is seriously the worst thing you can do to hotel guests. This is absolutely unacceptable, whether it's in a four stars hotel or in one-star motel! Thank god we were all fully dressed and that woman did not walked in any private behavior. I used to work as a hotel cleaning lady and I would have NEVER done that! This is simply unbelievable. So I go at the door, and I tell her "Why didn't you knock?" The worst part was, she starts ARGUING with us that she had knocked!!!! 1. She had NOT knocked. We did not hear any knock, we only her the magnetic "bip" of a card sliding in the door and then 2 seconds later she was opening the door. 2. EVEN if she had knocked (which she hadn't), you NEVER ARGUE WITH CUSTOMERS! Seriously!

6. After that, as if all of those things were not enough already, we had a terrible last day at your hotel. We had to check-out by the end of morning, which we do, and we leave our bags at the bag-check downstairs. We were planning for our last day in NY to go rent bikes in Central Park, then come back to the hotel and change in nice clothes to go on a rooftop lounge in the city, and then come back at the hotel to grab our bags and catch out evening bus back to DC. I don't think it's a crime to need to switch clothing from comfortable sportswear to nice dresses in the middle of the day. Well, apparently at this hotel, it is. We came back to the hotel about at 3pm and asked if we could access our bags. We go in, grab new clothes, go change in the restroom, and then ask if we can go back in the room (to put back our first set of clothes in our luggage). The employee was SUPER rude. Seriously, this kind of person should NOT be working with the public. If I would have treated a customer the same way he treated us while I was working for a 4 stars hotel a few years ago, I would have been fired on the spot. After we change in the restrooms and ask if we can go back to our luggages, he just looks at us, as if we'd had asked him to do something super hard or demanding from him (... No... you just have to open a door. That's pretty much all your job consists of.), he SIGHS super loudly and rolls his eyes... what the hell! What we were asking of him is simply to do his job and open a doom leading to our luggages! When you pay the kind of prices you charge for your room, you don't expect to be treated that way by your staff. Also, when I asked him to do that, after getting this rude reaction from him, I was trying to find the little "coupon" with our luggage number in my handbag, and it took be about 3 minutes to find it. There's was no one waiting behind me, we were the only customers who wanted to access our luggage. He starts yelling at me, telling me "If you don't have the coupon, I won't give you access!!!!!!!!!!!" super rudely. First of all this was ridiculous, he knew I had the coupon because I had given it to him less than 5 minutes ago. Second of all, there was NO REASON to yell at me and tell me to hurry up or threaten me not to give access to our luggage - there was no one waiting behind us! I think this was some sort of power trip. Really stressful to be treated that way, I was shaking the whole time I had to be next to that man and after that, I was too scared to go next to him, I had to ask someone at the front desk to come with me to the luggage room because I didn't want to be alone with that man. Maybe this hotel should put warning signs, so future guests don't have the same experience as we had. Potential examples could be "Make sure you took everything you need out of your bags once you leave them in the room, because if you come back to take something out of it, our staff will yell at you" or "Our staff is rude and don't like to do simple tasks they get their salary for, beware".

This was my worst hospitality experience ever - and I've traveled in 35+ countries and stayed in all kinds of establishments.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cynthia T
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Cynthia T,

It was very diffcult to read your review this morning as it seems as if your stay was just not met with the service we aim to provide to all of our guests. I will certainly address your concerns with Housekeeping and Front Services as no guest should encounter what you had described. We do have different sizes in rooms and especially if there are 3 people in a room, one of our standard rooms will be a tight squeeze. We have rooms with double beds as well as Junior Suites and Full Exectutive suites. I believe to state we do not deserve the Hilton name is a bit harsh as our property has become gradually moving in the right direction with the quality of our reviews. In the future I would hope you would give us the opportunity to change your perception and stay with us again. You can contact me at PSchwartz@tpghospitality.com.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

First trip to New York, this hotel was fabulous! So close to subways and sites! Definitely would stay there again! Staff was friendly and courteous. Very, very happy with the whole trip!! I will highly recommend it to anyone going.

• Stayed: June 2014
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Debbie C,

I want to thank you for taking the time to give in a 5 star review for us. We are glad you enjoyed our prime location as well as our great staff. We hope to see you stay with us again in the future.

Best Wishes,