“Good service and functional, but not the best hotel in NYC”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #341 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I stayed two nights at the Hilton Manhattan East, located just a few blocks from Grand Central Station, while in town on business. The staff was professional and accommodating. I asked for a quiet room, and the room was quiet. No traffic noise or even much noise from other guests. The bed was comfortable--I slept well. The room had plenty of lights and was a decent size for NYC. Overall, it was clean, though there was chewing gum stuck to the side of the headboard.
Though a plaque outside notes this is a historic hotel, inside it just feels tired and outdated. The room had so little décor it's almost depressing. It's furnished with plain brown very scuffed furniture with beige walls and beige and gray striped curtains. the bed spread is plain white, and there isn't even a token painting on the wall. They do have a useful master light switch by the bed and at the door that controls all the lights in the room. You can turn them all on and off with one button. There is an in-room thermostat, but my room was a bit too cool and despite having the heat on, it never seemed to get any warmer.
The rooms do not have refrigerators, but they are available on request for a modest fee. I had requested one a few days before my arrival which was noted on my reservation and it was promptly brought up to my room after I checked in. Though it worked when the hotel employee plugged it in--he checked it to be sure--when I got up the next morning it had stopped running at some point and wasn't cold at all. I had to plug it into another outlet and turn the cold temp to maximum to get it to work.
The shower is so confusing to operate that there is a multi-step diagram with instructions on how to use it. I don't know how someone who isn't an English-speaker would manage it. It seemed quite confusing, and part of the diagram didn't even match the shower head I actually had. Water pressure was a bit low, but temperature was good. The toilet kept running about every half hour--I closed the bathroom door so I wouldn't hear it while I slept.
There is a fee of about $15 per day for internet access. But access for me was constantly flickering on and off. I managed to access it just long enough to pay for it, but not to really use it. There was also a note that the fee was for internet access on only one device. I don't know if they charge more for additional devices--I was never able to get a connection long enough to find out. I called the front desk for help, and a technician arrived quickly. He was polite and apologetic, and advised that I stand in the short hall just inside the door of my room where I might get a better signal or go down to the lobby. When I asked that the fee be refunded at check out due to this problem, the front desk agent was quite apologetic and understanding and did refund it. He said they had been having issues with iPads and iPhones. I was able to get a good signal on my phone on the 3G network in my room.
Room service is offered, but I walked a block down the street to the Pax Deli for breakfast. You can also find a food court on the lower level of Grand Central Station with a lot of counter-service dining options. And of course, New York is full of restaurants.
Overall, this hotel was just okay to me. Nothing overtly wrong with it, and if the price was good I wouldn't object to staying here again (if they can get the internet service working). It seems the staff is doing their best, but the hotel itself would benefit from an update. If you just need a place to sleep and are going to spend most of your time seeing the sites, this hotel is worth considering.
One final note, there is another Hilton that is also on 42nd Street, in Times Square. This hotel is at 42nd and 2nd Avenue, which you'll want to mention if you take a taxi. I had one cab driver take me to the wrong Hilton.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear ChrssyHny,

I want to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed review of our hotel. While you surely brought up valid points where we can improve I am happy to see you were able to recognize the great staff that we have. We have a few projects over the next few months to update the hotel and modernize it a bit more while still keeping that historic value. Around October we are looking to have a lot of work done to our property in which we would for you to come back and see the results.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East, and we had a very good experience. The staff is courteous and responsive. The rooms are very clean and well-designed. The location is excellent (two blocks from Grand Central Station). It is quiet and comfortable - just what you need after a long day in the city. It was our 20th anniversary and we received an unexpected (much appreciated) upgrade, a fruit platter and a bottle of wine. We will go back. It's an excellent value.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear ana W,

Thank you for taking notice of our property and writing a review for us. We were happy to see you spend your 20th anniversary with us and the amenities were just a small token of our appreciation. On your next visit please make sure to let us know in advance so we can prepare again to provide you with a great stay.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Being that I am an Independent consultant, I travel every week to and from my project site. I look for hotels where I feel comfortable, safe and close to my work location. My hope is that it is a Hilton. When I discovered Hilton Manhattan East I was elated and soon after beginning my project in New York, I became a guest there. I can't say enough good things about the hotel. One of the first things I noticed is, how friendly and accommodating everyone is. But I noticed this before I began staying there (another story). My rooms have been very comfortable, CLEAN and size appropriate for New York. Surprisingly, they are much larger than any of the other hotels I stayed in before discovering the Hilton.

Before I go on, I must rave about the first person I met at the Hilton. Stop by and say hello to Dennis Zimkouski, he'll be the one with the great big smile asking if he can help you. He is, by far, one of the most pleasant people I've met to date in New York. Dennis is not only a pleasant person, he is awesome at his job as a Hilton bellman.

There are many, but one incident sticks out in my mind as, it don't get better than this. I was running late one Friday (long meeting) and had a 1:15 flight. I remember turning the corner quickly to get to the hotel to grab my bag and catch a taxi. When getting to the hotel, Dennis was standing there like he was just waiting for me and yes, he had a smile on his face. I said, I need a taxi in 2 minute, and he said, Laguardia Airport, I nodded and rushed to my room to retrieved my bag,

On my way through the lobby I saw Dennis standing there, he turned, walked outside, hailed me a taxi and when i walked through the door he was waiting there to take my bag, open the taxi cab door and said have a great weekend all in one fluid movement/breathe. When I sat down, I exhaled and knew I was going to make my flight. I did.

I say all this to say, you will enjoy staying at the Hilton Manhattan East. Why? Because it is where people care about helping other people. And I like that.

One more thing about Dennis. We've had conversations about how long he’s been at the hotel, his work etc. When he speaks about the Hotel, staff and Management, he does it with such compassion and convictions, you want to find out for yourself if it's true/possible that work is as good as he say.

But wait a minute, I met the GM and I now know why Dennis smiles every day that I see him (well one of the reason he smiles). When meeting Paul Schwartz, you get a sense that everything is going to be OK. From Dennis's perspective, Paul has made working for the Hilton a pleasant experience, and being that most of us have to work, I think that's a good thing.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear M W,

I want to thank you for taking the time to send in a 5 star review of our property. It was great to read that you had such a great time with us and it was great to see you had such a good connection with Dennis. He surely does his best to be our ambassador of the hotel. We hope on your next visits you choose to stay with us again.

Yours in Hospitality,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Hilton Manhattan East is a wonderful hotel located on the east side of midtown NY right on 42nd Street. Just a few blocks from Grand Central Station and the United Nations building it is a convenient place to stay. The staff are friendly and professional and the hotel rooms, although not large, are clean and comfortable. It is a well run hotel and they do try to please their guests. The restaurant offers a varied menu and the food is quite good. The Hilton Manhattan East is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Eric M,

We thank you for taking the time to review our property. It was great to see how much you enjoyed our restaurant and take note of our amazing team. We do our best to provide the best service possible to any guest staying with us. On your next visit be sure to contact us in advance for VIP treatment.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Very accommodating, Pablo went out of his way to make sure all our needs we're met every morning before we left and every evening. He really made a difference. Located in a great area, some of the rooms are a bit small though but I guess that's New York.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Thomas H,

Thank you for stopping by to write a review of our property. We are happy to see you were able to enjoy our location and that Pablo was such a great asset to your stay. We do offer a wide variety of rooms including Junior Suites and Suites if you were looking for more space in the rooms. We hope to see you book with us again in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Great hotel - close proximity to UN and Grand Central. Special thanks to Pablo Herrera who ALWAYS offers warm hospitality and professional service at breakfast. Entire staff is very personable! Would recommend hotel to business travelers and tourists alike.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear John M,

I want to thank you for giving us this great 5 star review. It is always a pleasure reading that Pablo once again was able to take care of one of our loyal guests. We hope to see you continue to stay with us.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for Memorial Day weekend. Prior to our arrival we received an e-mail from the Front Office Director, Robert Ibanez, personally welcoming us and offering his services. He quickly responded by e-mail to one of our requests. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. During our stay we encountered a problem and the hotel Manager, Harris, quickly rectified the situation and was extremely accommodating! He has a great personality and was very understanding as he gave us personal attention! We would definitely stay here again. Also, the hotel is in a great location and is walking distance to Times Square and a lot of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz S
Paul S, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Liz S,

We were very happy to see you had a great time at our property. We do our best to get in touch with our guests before and after to make sure they had a great stay with us. Harris always does his best to place a personal touch with each guest he interacts with. We are hoping we made a lifetime guest out of you both. See you on your next visit with us.

Yours in Hospitality,